SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steeleadams

Corner of shower tile sticking up. Ouch.

DD
2 years ago

I've recently had my shower rebuilt and tiled due to a leak. It looks good, and as far as I can know as a lay person, it was built and waterproofed correctly. The shower floor has 2x2 tiles and I have one issue: one tile near the center drain doesn't seem to be laying completely flat, so that one corner pokes up a bit. It is very slight and can't be seen (can't get an adequate photo), but I can feel it under my foot. It's not enough to trip on or anything like that, but it pokes the bottom of my foot. I wouldn't say it's painful, but it is annoying.

It wasn't noticed while they were working on it. I didn't use the shower for about a month after the tiling because I had to wait a long time for the glass door and surround, so the tile has been settled and dried for a long time. If it were nearer the perimeter of the shower floor I wouldn't worry about it, but it happens to be right where I want to stand. I thought I could get used to it, but it's been a week and it bothers me.

Is there anything that can be done about this now? I assume that the tile can't be cut out and replaced because that would compromise the waterproofing, correct? I don't want to do anything to interfere with waterproofing, since a leak is the reason I had the shower redone in the first place. Can the corner of the tile be ground down slightly to make it even with the rest, similarly to the way they grind down city sidewalk sections that have popped up? Would that harm the structure or function or look weird? If this is a good solution, how would it be done?

Any other suggestions?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions, especially from building and tile pros who generously respond to questions on Houzz.

Comments (7)