SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Closet doors: what type are your favorites? Best hardware?

artemis78
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are building a new closet and trying to figure out what kind of door to use. The existing closet is being converted into a bathroom and we will use its door (standard interior hinged door) for that room. The space is 82" long x 27" deep and the door will open on the long side. We don't have room to have full-sized french doors, which would otherwise be my preference.

Are there high-quality bypass or bi-fold doors? I'm skeptical of both styles having encountered many over the years with track issues, but maybe we can avoid that with the right doors or hardware...? We do have two interior 30" wide solid wood doors original to the 100+ year old house that could be used in a bypass setup, though I'm not clear on how well such heavy doors would work on modern tracks. (The upside is that they would match the other doors in the house, though.)

Alternatively, are there good options to use two pairs of narrow french doors? I'm wondering if there's a way to do two 36" wide openings with hinged doors that would make most of the closet space accessible, but not sure what this would look like in reality.

Two adults will share this closet, and the dimensions are pretty set. The existing closet is 35" x 82" with a hinged door on the short end; this has worked fine but the new design requires having the access be on the long side (and this seems preferable anyway).

Any thoughts or tips, especially on hardware, would be much appreciated--thanks!

Comments (7)