SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_740526834

Symmetrical, narrow upper cabinet doors vs larger, asymmetric doors?

HU-740526834
2 years ago

I'm doing a remodel of a galley kitchen in a NYC condo that I plan to live in at least a few more years before reselling. I'm attaching an image of the design in place for the fridge-side of the galley -- it includes a tall Rev-a-Shelf pullout pantry to the left of the fridge (this was to account for the door swing of a french door fridge that would need 11" for the left door open to 130 degrees for full function). This left about 41-42 inches to the right of the fridge. I was originally provided with a plan that divided the lower drawers into two columns of ~27-inch drawers and 14 inch-drawers, and the upper cabinet box would have 2 X ~13 inch doors and 1 x 14 inch door to line up with the lowers. I wasn't crazy about the asymmetry, so we came up with the plan attached: Two columns of ~21" inch lower drawers and 4 upper cabinet doors of about 10.25-10.5" width. (My KD brought up the idea of 21-inch doors but the door swing is going to be way too wide -- I didn't want to have to lean back every time I opened a door.)

Are the upper cabinet doors going to look too narrow? They will definitely be skinny but I appreciate the symmetry. Just wanted to make sure this isn't a huge mistake before committing. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the 27 + 14 configuration for comparison. I saw it in another apartment and the difference in upper cabinet door widths was a bit noticeable.

To be clear -- this won't be my only set of cabinets. There will be a row of cabinetry on the other side of the galley that will be for dishes, glasses, mugs, etc, and I'll also have a pullout spice rack next to the oven. I'll be able to store a lot of food in the pullout pantry and imagine that the upper cabinets next to the fridge will be used for things like soda cans/water bottles, small appliances, gadgets, etc.

Comments (2)