SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
57bosque

upper cabinets spacing asymmetrical

Sal Ibrahim
2 years ago

Hi guys I am super bummed that one side of our upper cabinets is 8” off. We are supposed to put fixtures on the cabinets but I think it will draw attention to the fact that it’s off so much. I am pretty upset about it. What would you do? I wish I could tear it out and start over but I can’t. Any suggestions? Should I just get over it?

Comments (49)

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Well, if you moved the right side cabinet left and added a filler on its right side, your ceiling beams would no longer match how they sit on top of your cabinets. And with the slab backsplash already done...I would rely on tricking the eye with a vase in the corner, filled with something tallish that comes half way up your window. Or something else that puts weight/fills the extra space on the right side.

Who messed up? Yes, I think that adding the sconces will make it more obvious.

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

The sconces aren't necessary. I had a similar issue and I put 4 floating glass shelves (no brackets just a groove connector) on the right side to display 4 of my vintage cobalt pitchers. Here’s my supplier. https://www.glasscornershelvesstore.com/curved-glass-shelves-s/1.htm

• Related Discussions

Space between window and upper cabinet

Q

Comments (5)
    If you have moulding on the window, you can probably hide the difference there. We have a 3/4" difference in moulding on either side of a window because of a wall and I worried endlessly at the time, but no one (including me!) notices it. Ditto for our sink cabinet and sink being slightly off-center (also for structural reasons that we weren't willing to pay to change--100-year-old studs in the way!) Worried a lot, but haven't thought about it since we finished--your eye assumes symmetry if it is close. If you can get it down to half an inch or less by playing with the moulding, it likely won't be noticeable. If you can't, maybe you can rehang the cabinet and go back to having some filler on the other side?
    ...See More

kitchen lighting plans for a space with no upper cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a similar situation except I have open shelves in this space. My cabinetmaker wants to rout out part of the underside of the shelves and use either a rope of LED lights or these puck light things. Its supposed to be very good task lighting. It should work for me since I have a very different kind of kitchen. If I had 9' ceilings I would consider doing a cool ceiling like on the Buttrick-Wong architect site. You can have phenomenal lighting that reflects off the ceiling, and still have some great recessed lighting for task areas. You said you have 8' windows? Can you build the upper sill out a few inches and put the lighting in that space to reflect off the ceiling? There is so much you can do with the ceiling in terms of lighting and design beyond the concept of recessed lights and track lighting and pendants...
    ...See More

Space between upper cabinets and counter

Q

Comments (8)
    Most often inspectors will use the specs from the range/cooktop for the cabinets on each side of it. That is typically 18". Often specified as 54" above the floor. There are ways, depending on layout, to configure the rest lower. I use a minimum of 16 in those. My own is done that way to accomodate the short folks in the house. Cab on each side of srange at 18 rest at 16. Can be tricky to make work. Occasionally some are done higher-21 to a maximum 24. Usually in contemporary projects but not always. Doing one now that has a stretch with a bit set between two standard height.
    ...See More

Help! How much space is between your upper cabinets and counter?

Q

Comments (29)
    Mine are only 11.5! We re-used our 80 year old cabinets (all new insides and refinished) and in 1927 when they built houses, that's what they did. The downside -- very few appliances will fit under, but that's alright with me because I want them put away off the counter. The toaster and the Breville convection oven both fit (the Breville, just barely). The upside -- the plates and dishes inside are very easy to reach. I'm 5'3". Now 11 would be way too low for most people but going lower than the standard 18 can have its benefits.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Doesn't look like you got a 24" garbage pull-out as shown in the elevation.

But if you had and everything was pushed to the left ... then the beams would not line up evenly ... so there are several things that don't match up with the drawings.

So who messed up?

What were the final site measurements based on?

When did the beams go in, before or after cabinets?

Who is doing the work and who is in charge?

Did you just notice this? Would have been easier to fix before counters got installed.

• Fori
    2 years ago

If possible, this is a do-over. (It probably isn't possible. I do understand how unrealistic that is.)

The base cabs don't match the drawing. Of course the room doesn't, either.

Whoever installed the backsplash and the faucets understood that the extreme symmetry is important.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

The plant idea looks nice. Dissenting opinion: symmetry is overrated.

• Fori
    2 years ago

I don't do symmetry personally but it's very clear in this case that it was important. Every aspect was matched, and quite nicely.

If everything calculatingly symmetrical, even a minor error will ruin it. And this is NOT minor.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Would it be possible to remake the right side cabinet 2" or 3" wider to lessen the gap? I don't think it would be terribly noticeable if the cabinet was just that small amt wider and it might trick the eye a bit. If not, the plant really does do it. You could also hang a plant there if you don't want one on the counter.
    And honestly, when it's all put together, unless you are standing in the exact center looking straight on like the camera is, it's possible it won't be nearly as noticeable. It's a beautiful space.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

put a slightly different style sconce on the right w downward directed light so it will look intentional then put something like a plant [large pot w kitchen herbs] or countertop tiered decorative bowl. it will look intentional. you could justify moving the right side cabinet out from the wall and inserting filler because that is a wall. that would eat up enough inches probably to help..... would that be easy enough at this stage ?

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I would remake the right cabinet wider to have equal space around the window. That is the primary place people will read the symmetry, not the differences in width of the cabinets that create it.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

a six inch wider cabinet would look odd . and wont be a size for a single door at all. just work with the situation

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I disagree, actually. Symmetry is regularly created around windows and range hoods where the cabinets are different sizes on each side, particularly when they turn a corner on one side of the focal point and are a straight run on the other.People read the symmetry based upon the center or the focal point, and less so as to how it is created at the edges.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Maybe make left cabinet smaller?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I would not have done uppers on that wall at all IMO it cries our for no cabinets since now they are under the beams and IMO that is worse than the offset Plus the fact i hate cabinets sitting on the counter and for sure not next to asink one of the busiest areas in the kitchen

• cjh4q
    2 years ago

I think I would try to move the right cabinet closer to the window and have a vertical wine rack put between the cabinet and wall. That would create the symmetry around the window but provide something different on the right size. Just a very simple rack.

A vertical wine rack makes good use of tiny space · More Info

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

It appears that what happened is that the dimensions of the upper cabinets are directly correlated to the dimensions of the base cabinets and when the Left side got one base that was 18 instead of 24 the upper followed suit regardless of how that affected the symmetry of the upper around the window.

It is not necessary to match the dimensions of the upper cabinets to the lower. It is usually better to create an even balanced arrangement across the top. On the lower you may have a 24" DW, a 36" sink base and a 15" trash pullout in a row, there is no need to have such irregular cabinets on the upper, just because it was necessary for function on the lower.

How did the cabinet dimensions end up being changed? Did the window end up being moved over a bit from the plans? I was involved in one project where one of the windows was placed in the wrong position and it was not noticed by anyone except me (at which point it was too late) and another project that had one window that had a different divided lite pattern that no one noticed.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Another option might be to remove one of the cabinets and install open shelves in that space. It will not be symmetrical, but could provide balance.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

cjh4q you beat me to it....i was just going to suggest a vertical wine rack as well.

No one noticed this until AFTER the full slab splash went up? Yikes.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Does your slab run under the cabinets? If there is countertop under the cabinets, would probably remove one cabinet, the one on the left, and leave the right one in place. There. You are now embracing asymmetry. Replace the left cabinet with chunky open shelves. (I hope you can find a fabricator to “continue” the backsplash at least up to the lowest shelf.) Change your intended side sconces to something centered over your sink, recessed, if possible.

• msjoan
    2 years ago

Obviously, the cabinet dimensions don't match the original design. I think @ptreckel has the simplest and best idea: remove the left upper and embrace asymmetry. Am wondering if you can still fit pullout for garbage in that space.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Removing the left cabinet would require a whole new slab backsplash. $$$$$

• Josie23: Zone 5: WI
    2 years ago

Who made the design changes to the lower cabinets? According to the plans the DW and Garbage spots should be the same size.. they are not. The DW is larger and that shifted the whole thing over. Also there are 4 drawers instead of 3 on the right. If the changes were drawn up I think it would have been noticed then.

However since its done, can you move right cabinets so the spacing matches? I like the idea of skinny open shelf cabinet against the wall, or a skinny pull out sideways spice rack against the wall.

• blueskysunnyday
    2 years ago

I would be expecting whoever made the mistake to correct it, even if it means a different slab.

• blueskysunnyday
    2 years ago

In addition, moving the right cabinet to the left just means both cabinets are closer to the sink (and potential water damage) than in the original plan. I know you said it is not possible to change what is there, but unless this was your mistake someone should be making it possible.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I don't understand the "cant be changed" of the OP. Someone was in error and it's on them to get it right, no matter the cost etc.

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

Yikes. who messed up?

i like Beverly’s pic above as a fix, but darn…this stinks.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    2 years ago

Remove the cabinet on the right and replace with floating shelves that start equidistance from the window as the cabinet on the left. I'm typically not a fan of floating shelves but I would prefer it aesthetically to what you have.

Edited to add...shoot, that doesn't work with the backsplash. If the backsplash is porcelain, I would make the investment in a new install.

• blueskysunnyday
    2 years ago

Hang on, what do people think about the fact that if the problem is fixed and the cabinets are made to look like the drawing, the whole ceiling would need to be redone to actually get the full symmetry shown in the drawing. Do y’all think the beam hitting the cabinet in a different place would be particularly irksome or not noticeable?

• reff31
    2 years ago

It's hard to tell which came first but it looks to me the window isn't centered correctly which then shifted everything to the left, necessitating the size changes.

• Natasha Griesenauer
    2 years ago

I'd put a plant on the right as others have suggested. No matter the fix I'd forego sconces. I think they will take away from your beautiful backsplash.

• Fori
    2 years ago

If the actual beams aren't where they are in the drawing, they can be boxed, or soffits installed, or something. To fix it properly, the backsplash has to be redone. The lower cabinets (and counter) might need redoing. It's incredible that it got this far before the mismeasure was noticed.

These look like custom cabinets. See if the cabinet maker has some brilliant ideas.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

• PRO
    Joseph P
    2 years ago

So, is that a 12’ 9” run? orvwas everything based on incorrect measurements. Go back to the basics here.

• Sal Ibrahim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The problem is the window was not framed in t he right place and the cabinets were originally made to the drawing but caused the sink to be off center. We adjusted the lower set of cabinets to get the sink where it needed to be but the uppers were already built.

• Josie23: Zone 5: WI
    2 years ago

Why didn't you have the window reframed at the right spot as soon as you noticed it. If the GC didn't follow the blueprints, re-doing it so it was correct would be on him.

I think it's easier to move a window than to re-design an entire cabinet and plumbing plan.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

You don't order cabinets until you can do a field measure of the space. As a cabinet person, I wouldn't order a filler without being able to measure the space first. It shouldn't have been allowed to continue on so far. You knew about it as they were installing and adjusting the bases to fit under the window....so you must've made some choice at some point, to live with the window as is.

I'm not sure on the law of this....but I think there's something about the progression of a job. If it progresses and no one says anything or the person knowingly accepts things and allows the progression of the project....the person that put in that window would only be responsible for moving the window.....not all the other stuff that went in after that. I'm not an attorney, but that's what've I've heard.

My advice is either live with it or remove left cabinet and get a new full splash. Maybe your fabricator can make you a top for somewhere else with that material. That splash must've cost $3000-$5000! If it were me, I'd live with it.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Sal Ibrahim - I think that your kitchen is beautiful! Go ahead and put your sconces up!!! They may actually help disguise the unbalance, and no one will notice the extra 8" except for you. In fact, you will forget all about it after a few days. You are going to need that extra counter space for drying dishes/pot & pans, so I see it as a happy mistake. 😉

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

Okay so something I just thought of that nobody else suggested… could you order a new larger window? That way you don’t have to redo the slab or the cabinets. They would cut into the backsplash the space they need for the new window?

• rebunky
    2 years ago

I am so sorry this happened. I can understand how disappointed you must feel. If you are definately not able to change or fix it, then could you at least ask for some type of compensation or discount from whoever made this mistake. It’s so frustrating that nobody caught this when it could have been worked with.

At this point, I would probably just leave it. It might make you say some bad words when you look at it for a while, but I think you will think less and less about it with time. I had to live with some mistakes in my kitchen remodel. I was pretty upset for a few weeks, but I’m totally over it now and barely notice.

There is one small detail I thought you might want to ask about just so there are no more surprises. I was noticing the way the crown molding on the drawing of the cabinets looks like it gets cut off as it hits the beams instead of going all the way across the top of the cabinet. I am not sure, but that may or may not look odd. I could be totally wrong, and it may look fine in reality. I apologize if its not an issue.

On a positive note, your kitchen is still absolutely gorgeous even with it slightly asymmetrical! Once it‘s all finished and accessorized, I am sure you will love it!

• Katerine Staly
    2 years ago

Embrace the asymmetry with a beautiful statement sconce on the right side only. Truly it is a stunning kitchen. Very beautiful.

• Hillside House
    2 years ago

I hate when people post and disappear.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Julie Schmooley - I almost posted about changing the window and making it wider until I realized that the symmetry between the sink and the window would be lost. And then there is the symmetry on the outside of the window in relation to the house that we cannot see. Not to mention that all that work would cost a fortune!!!

rebunky - I do think that some compensation would be nice.

Hillside House - The OP has popped in, but I do not blame them for not coming back. They have already made the statement "I wish I could tear it out and start over but I can’t." And many of the suggestions are telling them to do just that!

• Sal Ibrahim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nhb22 you are a wonderful human. Thank you for saying that and I think you are right 💙

• Sal Ibrahim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nhb22 thank you again! Still learning how to post on here!!

• PRO
    2 years ago

I do not see how any discount is warranted. The off-center window should have been apparent and then corrected at framing. Or before the beams were installed. Or before the plumbing was installed. Or before the expensive backsplash was installed. In other words, there were plenty of opportunities to identify and correct the issue before it was too costly to do so. I'm not 100% clear how this mistake happened, but I do know that I generally do not do a final cabinet measure or generate final plans until after windows are placed. I did it once and the contractor tried to tell me the cabinets that were delivered were incorrect. A quick trip to the site proved the window was not placed correctly and the contractor had to move it...at his cost.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Kristin Petro, I once had a DIYer building a new home back in the 90s. He was acting as his own GC. The home was very angular...meaning every wall had an angle...not square or rectangle rooms! After we talked awhile about the materials and layout, he asked, "So when can we get these ordered?" I explained that I always do a field measure after the framing is completed. He got angry....yes angry! He grabbed his blueprints, headed for the door and said, "If you're not professional enough to be able to order off these blueprints, then I'm going elsewhere!" I calmly stopped him and replied, "Oh no....I didn't say I couldn't order off the blueprints...I certainly can! But if the house isn't framed EXACTLY to specifications, then any cabinet issues are yours and you'll have to pay extra for new cabinets." He turned around, thought about it and came walking back. I ended up field measuring and ordering the cabinets. EVERYTHING was slightly off from the blueprint and had to be redesigned from scratch. He later thanked me and apologized for not knowing what he didn't know.

• PRO
    2 years ago

The problem now is with the lengthy cabinet lead times, it's almost impossible to order cabinets after demo and framing! I'm working on a lot of projects right now where we are cutting holes in the walls to check for obstructions just so we can get the cabinet order in the que. It's better for the clients to live with a Swiss cheese kitchen than no kitchen at all for six months. Ha!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

That story was about a whole new house...so wasn't an issue to wait until framing. But with remodels? We measure before demo always.....but like you, if a wall or soffit has to be removed, we'll "swiss cheese" it up! :-) lol