SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_959124441

hardwood floor installation: are these damages acceptable?

An A
2 years ago

Hi, we are building a new construction house. We have spent months to pick the engineered hardwood floors that we like and were very excited to have them installed. However, the whole project turned out to be a disaster.

1. We have purchased 20% more floors just in case but we ran out of floors- we don’t have enough floors to finish family room/dining room and staircase! The floors are high quality and there were no damaged floors in the boxes. The lead time to buy these floors is 6 months. Fortunately, we found 200 sq feet but of course they are from different batch and might not match with the floors we have.
  2. We believe this is the fault of the installer. Initially when we hired him he said he will be installing floors but he hired some inexperienced workers that wasted and damaged lots of material. He only came for 5 mins a day and completely neglected the project.
  3. The floors that they installed have cracks and scratches. They covered them with the boxes to protect but left nails under the boxes, stepped on them and made holes. They have nailed them so hard that the edges were damaged. The floors were covered in glue which they didn’t clean properly. In some places where they have cleaned the glue they have scratched the floors and removed the color and protective urethane layer. We can see it because the color is off and the light reflects differently on these spots, and also they feel different to touch. I will attach pictures. We have inspected only one small room for now and found many issues(you can see how many blue tape pieces we have put).

My questions:

1. Is the damage in these pictures acceptable? May be I am just being picky and may be that’s how the floors are done?
  2. If it is not acceptable - what do we do? Can it be repaired? We used glue + nails installation. We paid 20k for these floors not counting additional 200 sq feet and not including the glue. Do we remove all the floors and start from scratch?😢
  3. How to continue working with this contractor? He ruined the project, has been lying a lot and lost all our trust. Who should be responsible for the losses?
    The quality is very important to us, we are building for ourselves and want everything to be perfect. We choose these floors because they had enough in stock and we could purchase the box from the same batch and see the color they we will get. Now we are forced to mix and to use floors from a different batch.

I would really appreciate any advice,
Thanks

Comments (6)