SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Multi-Family Ownership -- Educate Me

chisue
2 years ago

We have a contract to buy a 1927 Multi-Family Home in NW Chicago. It's a 1031 replacement for the Maui STR condo we sold last month. I'd appreciate your input. Our only prior landlord experience was with two SFHs, plus owning the vacation rental condo for 20 years.

As a lifelong *suburban* Chicago woman, I was astounded to learn how many of these units exist in the city...and how many are on the market now. A majority are 100 years old. 'New' is rare. This one has a first floor (duplexed down) that has been renovated. The second floor unit is mostly 'original', and we will be renovating it from the escrow (which closes Nov. 14). It wasn't a bargain, but I think it would appraise for what we paid plus limited renovations. It will be inspected Thursday, and DS has some construction experience. It's a good neighborhood, near good schools.

Yes, we're in a hot RE market after lagging far behind the rest of the nation, but I wonder if there are further reasons people would be selling this category now? (Could pandemic rent moratoriums have a bearing? Other factors?)

What can you tell me about owning/renting a two- or three-flat? Our DS will be managing. He's currently finishing work on his second flip house in the city. My DH and I are retired seniors.

Thanks for thoughts on owning/renting this type of housing.

Comments (9)