SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_ward7

Can I put vapor barrier on top of glued cork sheet underlayment

Ben Steffes
2 years ago

Hi,

Long story short, I have a single story slab on grade home in Southern California. Recently 1/2 cork sheet underlayment was glued directly to the concrete slab and a thin Vinyl floor was used which failed miserably because I think the cork is to “squishy” for the click lock of the vinyl floor so each time pressure is put on the joint by stepping on it force is directed at the connecting joint of the floor and overtime the floor began failing at all the seems.

The plan is to remove the vinyl flooring and replace the vinyl flooring with TNG engineered hardwood that is 1/2 thick.

The engineered hardwood requires a moisture barrier and that’s completely understandable to prevent any bowling in the Wood.

My question is can I install a vapor barrier on top of the glued clued cork sheet and then install the engineer hardwood on top of that?

Removing the cork is something that I am trying to avoid obviously because of how labor intensive that will be as well as logistics and the fact that all my door jambs and tile finishes already match the current height with the cork sheet installed. If I remove the half inch cork the floor would sit considerably lower leaving me with gaps underneath my door jambs and doors

Comments (5)