SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisachew5

Can SW Origami White work with SW Pure White trim?

lisachew5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there. After looking at neutral off whites, I had planned to use Sherwin Williams Aestheric White in my new build. Unfortunately, the sample I put on poster board looked pink. I now have a sample of Origami White that I think will work.

My cabinets, trim and ceiling are Sherwin Williams Pure White. This can not be changed. Paint experts, can these 2 colors work together? If not, any thoughts on similar colors with no obvious undertones for the bulk of the house? At this point I’m wondering if Pure White everywhere would be the safest bet. I’ve been pondering over colors for a long time but I’m down the the wire now.

I’d appreciate any help you can offer! Thank you!

Comments (86)

• Shalene Fote
    2 years ago

It looks great! Really does. My old house pulled blue so easily. Front house faced north. And once again my new home does as well. I think I’m going to try Origami white at first and pray like hell no pink 🙏🙏🙏 God has seen my years of troubles with paint colors lol hopefully he’s got mercy on me this go round. 😁
    Thank you again for all your time and help.
    Best wishes to you and your family in your new home 🏡

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hope you love it!

• Related Discussions

SW Pure White Walls with BM Paper White Cabinets? Does this work?

Q

Comments (12)
    If you like the white-on-white, I think the gray-white of BM Paper White could be nice. Or maybe go one step up on that same strip - BM Sterling 1591. You could also go with Pure White on your cabinets. If you decide it's too stark, then you could paint your walls Paper White or Sterling (which would be like the top inspiration pic you posted.) Do you have wood floors in your kitchen? That really warms up a white-on-white room, IMO.
    ...See More

SW Dover White cabinets with SW Pure White walls

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes. You're exactly right. I was just wondering if the 2 can jive together. I've painted some samples on poster board and in some areas looks great and in others comes off a little blue. My husband will paint 2 smaller walls in the area to know for sure. Thanks for your advice!
    ...See More

SW GREEK VILLA AND SW PURE WHITE?

Q

Comments (18)
    I've been going through a similar chaos (don't husbands just love it!). But the realization that everything could change once the lighting is installed pretty much threw me over the edge. I decided to go with @funcolors's "The Best White" and am crossing all fingers and toes. Seems we have way too many choices these days. I try to humor myself by imagining what our great great grandparents would say about our quest for the "perfect" white paint color! :-D (Now fretting over which white for trim!)
    ...See More

Does anyone have S.W. Pure White walls with B.M. Chantilly Lace trim?

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't have a photo of wall/trim to show you, just my opinion. 1. Always test it in your own house. Even if someone had a photo to show you, their lighting, their flooring, their furnishings will impact how the paint colors look. Color is relative and sometimes completely changed by light. 2. In theory, I think they would work together because there is enough contrast, but I don't think it would be my favorite pairing. Pure White may look gray (or possibly a little dirty) next to Chantilly Lace because Pure White is more "gray" or desaturated. In the comparison below, I think Pure White looks like a very pale gray. Maybe that's the look you want. 3. The "easiest" thing to do with a white is to paint everything the same color, but use different sheens. Say matte or eggshell on the walls and satin or semi-gloss on the trim. 4. If you haven't tested it in your home, get a Samplize sheet or a sample pot and paint the pure white on a large board and compare it to the Chantilly Lace on a piece of moulding. Then move it around the room/house to see how it works with flooring, countertops, anything that isn't going to move, and of course how your furnishings work with it.
    ...See More
  • Mandy Hall
    2 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and say origami white looks pink in my house too. online photos make it look creamier than it is . Currently trying to find another color similar but less pink .

• Shalene Fote
    2 years ago

Wow! It doesn’t pull pink at all in my house. However, Agreeable Gray at 50% sure does. I’m repainting 2 room to Origami white. That color in a north facing home was perfect.
    I’ll try to add a couple photos. House is no where near completed.

• Shalene Fote
    2 years ago

Ugh I can’t access my library for some reason 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Shalene Fote
    2 years ago

Hopefully this helps. White ceiling, origami white walls and pure white trim. In my house if anything, it pulls a bit creamy. I see zero pink :)

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Glad the Origami White worked for you! It’s a painful process. Your home is beautiful!

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

I have Origami White in my upstairs, and Pure White ceiling. Zero pink.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Origami white walls with Pure White fireplace, doors & shelves. Trying to give y’all more updated pics now that I’m all done renovating.
    Hope this helps anyone trying to decide.
    I haven’t regretted putting those two together at all.
    If you’re wanting a bigger pop of white from your ceiling or baseboards, doors etc…. Go with a brighter white for the trim. Origami White with Pure White trim gives a subtle difference. It’s a very soft look :))

• Zory
    last year

@Shalene Fote does your origami look grey? i just tested a few colors and it looks really grey - origami on the right.

toque white is on left which is really peachy

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Mine looked a little more grayish before I changed my lights to soft white LED. Then it shifted a bit warmer. Not carrying a yellow feel though.
    What color do you have in the middle? Left is a tad peachy looking.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Lol sorry- I’m seeing your peachy note now

• Zory
    last year

@Shalene Fote the middle is just primer

• Shalene Fote
    last year

What kind of lighting do you have?
    My house, the previous owners had bright white LED’s. I think because the colors were so dark in here. I worried about the gray undertones too. I really wanted a soft off white beige/gray undertone. Not yellow. I did get that, but in my space. My homes face north. That also plays a factor. I’m crazy about undertones and paint in general.
    This color absolutely worked for me.
    Have you tried SW Creamy? I used that one a lot in my old house. It’s a true creamy color. Not too yellow or too white. Pairs nicely with Pure White trim. All of this also depends on light and natural lighting.
    Are you wanting a tad of color or just a muted soft white?
    SW Panda White also played as a soft off white. It didn’t pull pink in my last house.
    I used Sw Pearly White on the exterior of my home. Haven’t tried it inside. It was perfect on the exterior. Not too bright, not yellow at all, just a simple pretty white.

• Zory
    last year

No lights yet since its still new build but will have 2700. it is an open layout with both south and north exposure but lots of coverings so not much direct light. I dont mind some color but just want a neutral look.

I tried white heron today and that seemed to be ok.

Creamy looks like it might be too creamy for my house. even the pearly white small sample looked creamy inside.

im planning on doing shoji white for exterior but interior harder to choose.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

It’s true! It will look different in many areas, according to the elements around it.
    How far into the construction are you? Have you thought about just painting everything Pure white/or any white. Then decide on the color after you close?
    You might need your cabinetry, floors and other elements to help you choose. At least white you can work with.
    Colors will look darker too against a white/white wall.
    Once you cover all the white. It will look light. Not darker. If this makes sense. Because you’re going with light colors to start with.

• Zory
    last year

We need to pick cabinet colors like yesterday so cabinet maker can start. floors are all done and painting next week. too expensive to repaint later so need to get it right now.

we have a lot of children so dont really want to go pure white for all walls.

do you think trim has to be an exact match to cabinets? i think pure white trim is pretty safe that even if we change colors later on it we have options to match trim.

but my husband wants a creamier white for perimeter cabinets. BM steam is what cabinet maker has sample of that he likes and it goes more with the brown island color stain then pure white does.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

What are your counters? Quartz or granite?

• Zory
    last year

We havent picked one yet. I always thought that granite was sturdier but we have a lighter granite now and i can see the abuse from the children working in the kitchen. So will probably look more into quartz. my sister has the silestone calacatta gold and i like how that looks with light veining.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Brown island stain?
    Have you thought of painting cabinets a light beige color? Gold hardware, this silestone with white backsplash. Are you floors wood? Light stain or darker?

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Then you can make Pure white for ceilings and all your trim 😁
    Will look fabulous!

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Mine are White Oak and I used 50% fruitwood & 50% country white. Bona water based high traffic sealer in a matte finish.
    I LOVE THE COLOR!

• Shalene Fote
    last year

It’s lighter in person. Pic shows it a tad darker

• Zory
    last year

Are those beige cabinets in that floor pic? my floors look similar white oak

probably this color island. the trim to the right is pure white, seems like big contrast to wood island.

you have any name paint colors for cabinets that would work with this?

• Shalene Fote
    last year

I don’t. That’s the challenge too. You’d need to find a color. Then Google it on cabinets. The color always lightens up when you make it into cabinet paint.
    Do any of the models have tan/beige cabinets? They’d likely have good choices for you.

Love your floors!!
    Pure White does seem to pull whiter in your house than mine. In my house it’s not super white. Although, if your counters are white not creamy base. I’d try to match your cabinets to that color of white. If you use those counters and end up wanting white cabinets.
    That Silestone is gorgeous- you get a big yes from me! 😁

• Zory
    last year

The sample trim board i painted with a sample can. the paint chip looks different so i think when we get the real paint it wont be as white.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Sample board looks great with your wood stain

• Zory
    last year

Thanks. I went ahead and told them pure white for cabinets. Hoping it will be ok in the long run.

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Zory, I ended up with SW Pure White on walls, trim, and cabinets and I have a black island and white oak floors. I love Pure White. It isn’t too stark or too creamy. I think you’ll be happy with it!

• Zory
    last year

@lisachew5 do you have to rely a lot on decor to make all pure white walls look good? are scuff marks and dirt more visible then an off white? (children‘s dirty hand marks 😅)

is it more of a contemporary look? my home is mixed but leans more traditional/craftsman 🤷‍♀️ with my husband picking things out.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

I always use flat paint. I’ll go around with a magic eraser and wipe gently. Wiping too heavy removes the paint. Once a year or if needed twice a year. I grab my paint can and a brush. I go through the house touching spots and scuffs. House looks freshly painted again. 😁
    When using flat paint AS LONG AS ITS THE SAME PAINT. You’ll never see the touch up marks. If you have eggshell. Likely cleans better but, if you touch a spot up with paint. You have to paint the entire wall or you’ll see it from an angle and it will have a patched up look.
    I only do flat personally.
    I think you’re honestly safe with Pure White. It’s not as pure as it’s name 😂

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Worst case here. If you don’t like the cabinets with island. Just have the island painted a color that goes well. It’s a much smaller and cheaper fix!
    My island in my last house I repainted twice from my original brown stain that I started with.
    First time a light gray with Alabaster white cabinets. Then I decided a year later to paint island Alabaster too 🤷🏻‍♀️

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Zory, no promises on scuff marks but when my son was little, I had beige walls and there was no escaping the marks either. Comes with kids.

I agree with Shalene about the magic erasers.

We spent a year during Covid building a house so i am enjoying the simplicity of white walls!

This is Pure White in my house.

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Super cute & cozy looking home!! ❤️

lisachew5 thanked Shalene Fote
  • Zory
    last year

@lisachew5 looks very nice. I think the black windows breaks up the whiteness. we will have white interior windows. looks like hubby doesnt want to do all pure white so back at looking for a color. 😏

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    last year

Zory, hope you find something you love!

• Shalene Fote
    last year

Zory,
    Something to think about. Builders usually only paint one color. Walls and ceilings. If you do pure white. Your ceilings will be white. Then you can choose color for the walls. My neighbor did that. Otherwise your entire home will be all one color. It’s pricy to paint the ceilings. Cheaper for just walls.
    If you choose the 1 color route. Keep it very light!
    SW creamy is a beautiful off white color. Pure white pairs nicely with it. Gives it enough contrast and is warm enough to go with your brown island.
    I used it in a ton of rooms in my last house.

• Zory
    last year

Thanks might have to sample creamy.

• Jana Gregory
    last year

I’m learning that it’s very hard to find “whites” that work with Pure White trim. Like you Zory, my trim and cabinets are Pure White. I really wanted to do my walls Greek Villa or Alabaster, but was told neither color pairs well with a pure white cabinet and trim. And I can’t find pics anywhere with pure white trim, and Alabaster and/or Greek Villa walls.

Seems like when using neutral whites, most designers simply change the sheen for trim.

• Zory
    last year

We ended up going with heron plume so it is an off white with lrv of 75. the big picture looks “white” but you can see a diff compared to the part thats not painted yet. next week all paint should be done. ill let you know how it all looks with the pure white trim.

• Minnie
    last year

do any of you see violet undertones in origami white like it states on sherwin williams ???

• Minnie
    last year

I canr decide between origami or aesthetic white !!! please help!!! i have to decide today!

• Shalene Fote
    last year

For my house. I do not. Purple is my most hated color lol. There was a moment when I could see a tad gray undertone. I had all my lights changed when we moved in. That went away after.
    For my house, which faces north. Origami is a beautiful soft off white. It carry’s more of a beige undertone. I have it in many rooms. It’s the perfect color for me. I am also not of fan of yellow undertones.
    Agreeable gray definitely pulls purple and pinks. Origami doesn’t.
    I really hope this helps you!! Paint picking is a pain in the A…S!!! I get it! 😁
    Wishing you the best of luck!

• renodesigns39
    11 months ago

Shalene, you mentioned you had 50% fruitwood and 50% country white - do you know which brands of these stains your contractor used? I'm trying to figure out a stain combo for white oak floors that will be installed in a few weeks.

• Shalene Fote
    11 months ago

Hi!

Yes, I think Bona high traffic. Or maybe that was the sealer they used. I think they used Dura Seal. Just found this sample sheet in my kitchen draw.
    We used the middle sample. QC 11
    Hope this helps!

We put a matte finish on the floors. Very little shine to it. It’s great but note that if you go that route. You can’t really scoot things that would scratch across the wood. It removes the matte and you will see a sheen streak in the right lighting or angle. Just a heads up if you go that route. Not too big of a deal, if you know in advance. We pic up and slide anything a tad heavy. Pads for bar stools etc..

Best of luck!

Lmk if you have any more questions 😊

• randalljen
    10 months ago

Hi Shalene! Any chance you have a pic of your north facing house with Pearly White? That is one of my choices for my exterior (along with Origami White and handful of others!) and would love to see it! Thanks!

• Shalene Fote
    10 months ago

Yes I do! 😁

Hope this helps!!! I’ve had many compliments on it. Although it was not so pretty to start with. Lol

• HU-896805851
    4 months ago

Hello, after reading and looking at your beautiful houses I hope someone can help me. I’m having a hard time picking a color for my interior walls. I have a west facing living room (open concept) with 13ft ceilings and smaller east facing windows, most of my furniture is light beige paired with cream tile floors. I can’t decide on a color with all the different undertones 😅 I’m trying to decorate my house in an organic modern style, so if anyone knows what could look good I will really appreciate any suggestions.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 months ago

You really need to start your own post with photos of existing spaces ^^^

• Shalene Fote
    4 months ago

I agree with the other comment. For the most responses, try creating your own post. Definitely add lots of pics of your space. Gives us a better idea of what you’re working with 😁

I’m happy to help, if you want to add pics here as well.