SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_m74

Empty space need some ideas.

Amanda M
2 years ago

Just moved into my new apartment, looking for something to add to this spot. To the left is the entrance to the right is the dinning room table.

Comments (22)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Hi Amanda, it’s difficult to offer good suggestions without seeing this entire room and having the measurements. But, based on the pictures of the space that you’re sharing, my suggestion is to move your dining table & chairs away from the corner & into part of your empty space. Looks like the table & chairs need to be pulled away from walls to use the full table anyway & squeezing them into the corner gives the impression of lack of space. Once table & chairs pulled out to give enough space to easily pull a chair out to sit in it on the two wall sides of table, maybe consider a buffet or console table on the short wall at head of table. It looks like the thermostat on that wall will make hanging art difficult but the long wall could definitely use a large piece of art. Maybe it would be centered on table with it’s new location. The result would be a nicely styled dining area.

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    2 years ago

It looks like the dining table might be better centered and not so close to the corner. Perhaps you could try something less cramped feeling:

Modern Glam · More Info

Boca Raton · More Info

Barnaby Street · More Info

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your help. I can't pull the table out to center it because it will be in the hall. I can only pull it back on the same wall.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

You can slide the table further down the long wall so it's away from the corner, centered on that long wall. Then put artwork on the wall above the table.

• Liz H
    2 years ago

Do you need a dining room table? If you’ll never it, repurpose the space. I’m not sure if that’s where the table is intended to be— normally the dining room is not so close to a hallway, even in an apartment. Is there another area it can go?

• elcieg
    2 years ago

You can't leave the table and chairs on that wall, How will your guests sit down? No room.

The best you could do is get a wider table and have four chairs facing the wall and one on each end. Positioned directly in the center of that wall, adding beautiful art would at least give diners something lovely to see.

Otherwise, there must be another spot in the room for table/chairs. More photos, please?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Amanda M i do understand what you mean that by pulling table out from the long wall it’ll be in the walkway of hallway. But, if you move it down the long wall, into the empty space you asked about, & about 2’ away from the long wall, it doesn’t seem like it should get in the way of walking in or out of the hallway. Also, this is why the replies are asking you for more pictures of the room & a layout with measurements. There’s lots of ways to get creative with room arrangements. You have your dining table set so pretty that I’m thinking you do use it so it’ll be great to find a way to make the placement of it work so you enjoy it!

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your help. I can't pull the table out to center it because it will be in the hall. I can only pull it back on the same wall.

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

When I return home I'll send more pictures. Unfortunately, that's the only space for a dinning room table. More pictures coming later today.

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Please excuse all the boxes and artwork on the floor. Still unpacking and moving things around

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I moved the table away from the wall so that you can comfortably sit and a few inches away from the thermostat. Should I move it more to the center of the long wall?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Wow @Amanda M so much better! Yes, please do move it down a bit closer to center of long wall. I’m looking at that cute drink / wine console across from table - any chance it can go either on short wall under thermostat or, into corner on other side of doorway to kitchen? It seems a nice companion to dining table & I think, moved to either location & away from where it is now will make traffic between kitchen & couch living area flow better & easier especially with dining table in new location. Isn‘t moving fun?! 😊

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Long wall is 27ft and short wall is 62"

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How Is this?

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This to take nice pictures so you can see it

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Keep moving the table down the long wall, away from the thermostat wall, until the table is centered on the long wall. That will also allow you to pull in away from the wall another foot since it is further from your hallway opening.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Amanda M - I think it looks good - looks like plenty of space between drinks console & chair so you could move table back to short wall a little bit if you want. It looks like the table is back up against the long wall where it started - can you pull it out a bit? My thought is the hallway access isn’t a problem with the table in new location & the drinks console moved over - that whole walkway space is opened up. This also creates a dining area space. I’m guessing the table doesn’t extend past - or very much past - the corner where the drinks console was. You said the long wall is 27 feet? It looks like even with table & console moved, you still have space for a piece of furniture. Is that shelf unit sitting next to sofa looking for a permanent home? What do you think of this new arrangement? Maybe live with it for few days & see how it works? Do you have large art to hang on long wall behind table?

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@calidesign this is the table centered on the long wall.

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW the table isn't against the long wall it only looks that way because of the angle. So do I leave just the dinning room table or should I add something to the left?

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm planning on moving the console next to the sofa. I'm thinking of getting maybe a china cabinet or a semi long desk or maybe a book shelf?? I don't know for sure just looking for some ideas. I have art pieces but I want to make sure the ground furnitures are in position before I put any up

• Amanda M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also have this place to the right that I'm thinking of adding a wooden storage unit or maybe put the China cabinet there instead?
    The wall is 55" x 39"

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Amanda M - with your table in new position there is room to put a piece in the corner space to right. My thought is your storage & display needs dictate whether you get a China cabinet, storage unit or open shelving unit. I’m not clear on what or which pieces are moving to or away from sofa corner but if you get a China cabinet I’d definitely place it in the corner outside kitchen as that’s a designated dining area. Looks like there’s a short wall around the corner in entry way - is there enough space for a table to drop keys etc or do you need something like that at the end of long wall but close to entry? It does look like there’s room for a piece at the end of that wall with dining table & drinks console in current positions. Smart to not hang art until furniture in permanent spots!