SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anoop91

washing a merino wool blanket on wool setting?

anoop
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've been hesitant to buy a wool blanket (specifically looking at one that's merino wool) because the recommended care is dry clean only. I want to avoid having to go to the cleaners--aside from the time wasted in going there, I have no idea what kind of chemicals are being used. For this reason, I have been using cotton blankets, but they don't have enough warmth (have to use layers on colder nights) and they also tend to be heavier.

Then I had a thought -- since both the washer and dryer have a "Woolens" setting would it be OK to wash/dry at home? (I have a Miele W3038 and matching dryer.)

Thus far, I have only used that setting for wool-blend socks and it has worked great on those. Previously shrunken socks got unshrunk and fluffy again. But those socks were rated for cold wash/hang dry and I used to use a warm wash/machine dry on them, so the only change with the "Woolens" setting was more water, less agitation and overall a gentler treatment. I don't know if a 100% wool blanket would like to be soaked completely in water.

Anyone have experience with this?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm