SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benwheatonn

First house, first remodel - tips for my kitchen?

Ben Wheaton
2 years ago

Hello,

I am a first time home owner and first time remodeler - I'm an engineer and I sort of jumped right in and started doing research and designing.

Here is the current layout, pre-renovation:

I am in the process of knocking down the wall between dining room/kitchen so that I can get an open kitchen concept.

Before:

Progress photo:

And here is the design I currently have:

Note: I have not talked to a professional yet, this is just me drafting.

Some comments:

• Since I'm losing a kitchen wall, I'm going to be giving up some upper cabinet space. I am making that up with base cabinets in an island.
  • I really like the idea of a full height pantry with pull out shelves, so I've thrown that in. It involves extending a wall section, which goes against the "open" concept, so I limited it to a 30" wide pantry
  • I've made sure to have at least 4' clearance around the island
  • I don't have many options for fridge/range placement (I don't want a range on the island), so it's either what is shown or swap the fridge/range placement. I think what I have works best aesthetically - I imagine friends/family over for dinner and a nice view of the range/hood is better than a fridge
  • I'm concerned about it being "too open" between the island and dining/living area, almost like potentially wasted space that could be more counter/cabinet space. But at the same time, I want the open concept and I don't want it to feel too constricted (I did a double island layout and it was too tight). I need some feedback here because to this point I've just been looking at a plan drawing.
  • I haven't figured out how I want to do my drawer stacks yet, still searching the discussions here for inspiration :)
  • Note: in the proposed layout, the area with the word "Kitchen" is actually a bay window area where I'm planning a breakfast nook with seating

Can any kitchen guru take a look and give me some expert feedback?

Thanks!

Comments (2)