SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_shelly

long foyer - totally stumped

Melissa Shelly
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I just bought and am renovating a prewar coop in NYC. I was over the moon when I bought it--thought it only needed paint.....and it needs EVERYTHING. Without going into too much detail and all the problems and issues, I need to start with this damned foyer which connects the front of the apartment--living room to the rear--the dining room (southern exposure). It gets no light; is abysmally dark and appears to be a huge space waster. Short of ripping down walls and robbing from bedrooms and even the formal dining room, I don't know what to do with it. The woman who lived here before me was a decorator with Bunny Williams and has the hideous Scalamandre wallpaper in there right now...yes...I never thought the words "Scalamandre" and "hideous" could be used in the same sentence either....and a 1980s chair rail with a different form of ugly wallpaper below. I was going to skim the walls and repaper a sexy paper from Cole and Sons but honestly its too dark and it's a large area so it will likely overwhelm....Then I was going to mirror one wall....then I was going to do Venetian plaster or lacquer....then I was simply going to strip it all and paint the walls a light bright color and turn it into a gallery of beautiful original art....while darkening the floors (or stenciling) or laying marble....OR....any ideas, creative ones....before I kill someone? My mood is swiftly disintegrating as I'm living here....FOOLISHLY left my other overpriced rental. Now what??

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!