SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

How long will I have to cut sprouts from an Arizona ash stump?

We are having a plus 50 year old Arizona ash removed. It was here when we came 25 years ago and while I would have never planted that variety I'll have to say it has given us a nice shade for many years.

I'd like to leave the stump about 3 ft high, place a pot with plants on it and decorate around it instead of having it ground out.

We're also wanting to plant another tree within 3 or 4 ft. of the stump, probably a lacey oak. A concern is that using glyphosate to kill the Arizona ash is that it will travel down the roots affecting the growth of the new tree and perhaps even affect other plants growing within reach of the roots. I know it's been said that the glyphosate disappears from the soil very quickly, but I'm not so sure it does. Anyone have experiece with planting a new tree in close proximity to one that has been killed with glyphosate? Our yard is fairly small and intensely landscaped so there isn't much room to plant it anywhere else.

If I simply leave the stump with no treatment approximately how long do you think I'll have to cut sprouts from around the bottom before it gives up and stops making them?

Thank you for any advice you have to offer.

Comments (10)