SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huntspatch_garden

An introduction

Ben D (zone 7b)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm new here, so I thought I'd share a bit about myself and my experience with hostas.

I moved into my home, a new build, about 30 years ago. A friend who is a landscaping professional help me get my landscaping started. I planted a number of various hostas with mixed success in those first few years. I slowed down with the yard work after getting married and we had children. Now that we are empty nesters, I'm starting to get back into it again.

Our back yard is bordered by quite a few trees on three sides (mostly pines and dogwoods). I bordered these sides with liriope and planted one side with vinca minor. The vinca has now spread to fill the entire area behind the liriope. Hostas in these areas tended to do well for a few years, then decline. A few have hung on just barely; others have disappeared.

Ivy and hellebores are doing well in these side borders. This is the east side.

This is the south (back) side of the yard, with vinca filling the area.

I had five or so Halcyon planted among these Japanese Painted Ferns. I dug one a couple of years ago and potted it up (where it did much better). This is all that's left of the original planting.

Generally speaking, I've had much better success with hostas around the foundation of the house. I'll share about those in a reply below. I don't know how much of my problems with hostas in these border areas are due to too much shade, too many tree roots, or from the vinca.

Edited to add: I'm in north Alabama, zone 7b.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!