SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eugenekwalker

Kitchen cabinets, what I have learned as homeowner and rental owner

eugenekwalker
2 years ago

We just finished a kitchen remodel with mid grade cabinets (white shaker - Hanssem - could not resist the deal I got), and I wanted to share what I learned after my process of research, purchase and install. Little back story, we went through Kemper Omega, Dynasty, Century, Kraftmaid, Fabuwood, Schrock, and Timberlake and American Woodcraft, as these were our friends remodels over the past 5 years. Experiences (notes from my friends) on all of the above cabinets were similar. Same horror stories, just with the company name changing. The time will tell about the quality, and some of these are only 3 year old remods, but the cost was between $350 and $1400 per cabinet. None, and I mean None of the above models looks any different when initially hung. 2 above were going on 5-7 year old remodels with 1 having american plywood, and 1 with chinese ply. Neither showed any differences in the boxes.

This is what we settled on,,,,by no means a complete list, and the designers may differ as they may have different experiences with the products they sell. Just out 2 cents.

1) Cabinets come delivered in cardboard boxes. Some with bubble wrap, some without. A few looked like the box was being reused for many deliveries. Interesting note...both of the companies that did this, waited (delivery) until all of the cabinets were opened and accepted. Some delivered by manu rep, some designer delivery guy.

2) You need to take the day off when your cabinets come and inspect every drawer, box and door with a flashlight. Don't glance and accept. Look at the faces, edges, backs, hinges and joints. If there is any blemish, do not accept it (see #3). Expect something to be wrong with at least 1 cabinet. Cabinets are generally created together. If you find any paint (stain) issues, check all cabs with an eagle eye. 3 people above had drawer fronts that were obvious hole drilling fails (handle) and a patch and repaint attempt. Looking with a flashlight on the angle clearly pointed out (was seen in garage and returned).

3) Call you cabinets manufacturers, (not the local designer) before and see if you can get someone that can identify a specific project or your representative. If you cant get this, or it sounds like a mickey mouse operation, stay away. You will be surprised how this limits your search. Your rep, is calling this same number, and trying to get the same items repaired. Ask the manufacturer about how they deal with defects. If they don't say "reject it at delivery and we will replace WITHIN X DAYS, or I will send out a rep to look and he will fix to your satisfaction or we will replace WITHIN X DAYS" scratch off list. BTW..this is in writing.

4) If you have the ability, schedule the delivery to your home, with everything in place, prior to your contractor doing any work (demo). Don't assume the construction will take x months while the cabs are being made. If the contractor says, we need to measure the wall when their up to get precise dimensions, state calmly "You cant build to precise dimensions, thanks for coming". This will (help ensure) that you are not living in a remodel, while kitchen cabinets are being remade, with your contractor moving on to another project.

5) White shaker cabinets will separate at the joints with humidity fluctuations. Credit card/business card size is within warranty.

6) Your contractor will mess something up, or damage something. Its his responsibility to be back at your site immediately after the replacement part is delivered. A good contractor will put this in writing.

7) Order crown with larger %. People were told to order 10-20 % more than needed incase of error. If you have a bank of cabinets, and the main piece is messed up, this wont suffice. Order crown as if you are buying for individual cabinets or the 1/2, not the run. Count individual cabinets in banks (2 or 3 or 4 cabinets together) and divide by 2. add this to the single hung cabinets and order crown to cover that length. What ever is the largest overage method, order that amount. The cost is insignificant compared to waiting for a contractor to comeback and finish little touch up finish carpentry. The seems are not finished until all crown is in.

8) The cost for the same cabinets is not the same at all local distributors. Seems like a duh, but several above cited significant differences in price when they shopped around.

9) Having put multiple Ikea kitchens, traditional, transitional, and modern into rentals over the past 10 years, we decided not to go with Ikea or look at them for our home. Wanted plywood boxes as the finishes on the lowers continue to deteriorate over the years in the rentals. Sun fades the doors faster than you would think.

Just my thoughts.

Comments (4)