SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_eibel

Old house kitchen renovation for rental unit

Linda
8 years ago

We just bought a craftsman style house that was built in 1914. It is 2 family and we plan to live on the second floor and rent out the first. This is our first old house - and first time really redoing a kitchen (I'm not counting replacing floor and painting). Both kitchens, I believe, have original cabinetry - the second floor in much better shape than the first. This is about the first floor. When I bought the house I thought we could simply cut out the worst part of the cabinets where there is a missing drawer and replace it with a dishwasher. I wanted to save as much as possible. Then I was informed that cabinets in 1914 were not as deep as today, which explains why the previous owner (who inherited it, fixed it and sold it) only replaced the counter and put in a bar-sized sink - cabinets were not deep enough for a regular sink and he didn't want to deal. Now I'm thinking of replacing all the cabinets, counter and sink, and adding a dishwasher, cabinets on either side of the stove and above it. I plan to keep the giant wall cabinet that is original, though may strip it and stain it. I was originally planning to turn the right side of the counter into an L-shape so that it would also go under the giant wall cabinet, making that space usable, but I can't really figure out how to make that work. I'm also having trouble with the fridge. It sort of doesn't go anywhere. Where it is, it sticks out like a sore thumb but the only other place is next to the stove which means no counter space at all next to the stove. (The second floor tenants had their kitchen like that and I liked it visually because it freed up space and sort of gave the fridge a home, if you know what I mean, but I don't think I would like it when actually using a kitchen like that.) You should know that in addition to the actual kitchen, there is a large pantry, built in wall cabinet in a rear hallway right off the kitchen as well as built in cabinets in the butler's pantry. So we're really not lacking for actual storage space (but none of it is within arms reach), just trying to make it more functional for cooking, etc. In the cabinets I want to add, my priorities are basics, like a drawer for silverware and utensils, and a pull out cabinet for trash and recycling. The structure to the left of the counter is a dumbwaiter. Eventually we will try to have a cabinet maker box in the interior to make it cabinet space but that will be expensive and not a priority right now (with the million other things on the old house list). The floor is ugly - tan tile - but new and I'm not going to replace it. I'm debating on keeping the cabinetry white or choosing a wood finish - the cabinets that were not painted in the other rooms are stained a darker wood. As I said, we plan to rent this unit so I'm not going to do custom cabinetry or get very fancy but I do want it to look nice and be functional. We were thinking about IKEA cabinets, maybe DIY to save some money, or HD or Lowe's. We still have the second floor kitchen which is the same layout but cabinets that are in better shape (so harder emotionally to demolish and start over) and I want to save $$ to spend on that. Layout-wise, though, this is sort of a trial run for the second floor. Please ignore the mess and clutter. We just moved in and are waiting to move upstairs.

This last photo is from Lowe's virtual room designer and it's what I came up with so far . . . Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks!!!

Comments (28)