SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_city_lights

Renovation consultations to help select which old home to purchase?

Mon
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are looking at houses and finding a lot of "diamonds in the rough" - as in they need some level of professional renovation. Sometimes it's an entire new updated kitchen without moving any appliances, other times it's moving toilets & expanding baths, today it was relocating a staircase to it's original location (city code changed for the positive).

If you've been here before, what was your experience?? Approximate consult fees? What type of professional did you use to start the process? I am looking at Design Build firms but have read some people found them to be more expensive than breaking it down.

Some of the sellers/homes already have had drawings made up, but should we really rely on these?

At what point should we have a professional visit the home we are considering purchasing? Did they help you house hunt or merely look at the specific houses you asked for them to consult on?

I feel like we have narrowed down our target area and could feel confident about the "bones" of the right home, but without real numbers or a professional opinion, we are guessing.

I would love to hear any about your experiences on buying a fixer upper home.

Comments (29)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    7 years ago

We had a realtor help us look for a home. Realtors usually have a stack of referrals for local contractors, design firms, inspectors, etc. A good realtor can assist you in all of your dilemmas. The realtor will accompany you to the houses you view and make suggestions, based on their experience as to which professional will be able to better deal with issues in the home.

When you settle on a house, the inspector can tell you the extent of any safety or code issues existing. A contractor can quote costs and recommend that you will need an architect to design a certain feature (like moving a staircase).

Expect it to take longer and cost more than you think. City permits can be lost in the system making outrageous waits.

Count on "creeping elegance." Once things have been finalized and the final payments are due, THEN is when that term creeps in. "What would it cost" if we added this, changed that, etc.

Mon thanked Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
  • Related Discussions

Help me select the right lawn for my high altitude home

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi, peaches. I'd recommend you investigate buffalo grass, especially one of the improved varieties like 'Legacy'. I suggest this because you mentioned you don't want to have to frequently fertilize or mow your grass. Buffalo grass fits both these requirements. However, since buffalo grass is a warm season grass, I believe it's too late in the season to attempt planting buffalo grass in your climate. But if budget is no problem, check with sod suppliers for buffalo grass sod. The most economical way to establish a lawn of 'Legacy' buffalo grass is by plugs (little plants planted a foot apart which eventually spread and fill in.) This variety can't be seeded because it's a clone. I've grown Legacy and it can stand 110+ temps and below zero weather. I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.
    ...See More

Heat/AC & Renovation of old house

Q

Comments (4)
    The very short answer is yes, that you can do what you would like to do with geothermal. It will be the most expensive HVAC renovation. However, it can be done without removing your existing radiators and without installing any ductwork what so ever. One geothermal liquid-to-water heat pump both centrally heating and cooling your entire home with zoning and yes, it can accommodate the in-floor radiant of your new addition quite easily. The disadvantage is the up front cost and disruption due to its installation but thatâÂÂs it. This type of system will offer the greatest comfort, longest life cycle, least maintenance if properly designed, installed, and lowest operating costs. ItâÂÂs the only single system that can do everything without installing ducts or multiple mini splits. ItâÂÂs entirely liquid using your existing hydronic radiators thus preserving the heritage value of your home and providing the radiant warmth that youâÂÂre looking for. The bonus - air-conditioning too! I have posted on this site on this topic perhaps dozens of times. A search should direct you to more info that you may find useful. SR Here is a link that might be useful: International Ground Source Heat Pump Association at Oklahoma State University
    ...See More

HELP Me Renovate This 900 Yr Old Kitchen!

Q

Comments (18)
    I agree with lazygardens above. Great solution. When my DH and I bought our 1925 bungalow it came with a kitchen that was remodeled in the 1950's. It had cabinets about the same style and color of your kitchen. The counters were old ugly red-ish formica which, like yours, were also on the backspash all the way to the base of the upper cabinets. We hated it and because we had just bought our house, we were on a shoestring budget. We sanded and painted our cabinets white, changed the hardware, and installed new laminate over the existing one with contact cement. For the backspash we pre- sized the formica and installed pre-pasted vinyl wallpaper over the top of it. (use vinyl wall paper because it is washable.) We updated the faucet. Those changes alone made the kitchen much more bearable and it was pretty cheap to do! For this being a rental I'd go with the paint, wallpaper and new laminate. You are lucky that your landlord is flexible and will let you do it. This solution for our kitchen tided us over for 20+ years. We are just now doing a full kitchen remodel.
    ...See More

First time home buyer figuring out how to renovate old house

Q

Comments (5)
    You're on the right track - the more you learn, the better. "This Old House" is well worth watching, and all their remodels are online. A source of tried and true (if unimaginative) ideas are in house plans; there are many online and it pays to spend time looking at how traffic flow, cabinets, entrances, etc are handled. That said, nothing turns off a contractor faster than an armchair expert, so remain open to suggestions. Given your stated like of modern/industrial, I imagine you have have a good idea of what you want, so you might not need a designer, and perhaps not an architect. Hiring a structural engineer for a few hours to look around and to get their thoughts and advice is a great idea. Realtors, remodeling, contractors, codes, financing - it's all a "Wild West" under-regulated mine field - listen to your people skills, your gut instincts, and common sense.
    ...See More
  • Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You're right, Suzi, using a great Realtor makes the difference! Ours has offered referrals but we are still too early in our house hunting, as we just finalized our desired neighborhood this weekend.

I'm trying to learn through other's experiences through the process to prepare for the next phase of "the hunt."

Like CPArtist mentions, I'm trying to over estimate costs so it will only be pleasant surprises. Ha!

I'm willing to buy a fixer upper, but only if my Houzz inspired ideas work with the numbers.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Is this your first house?

I would definitely look for the worst house on the best block type of house.

• Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, it's not our first home purchase. Just the first time to consider buying something that needs such extensive renovation.

I think we may have seen "the worst house" yesterday. But it probably needs an additional 30-40% of the purchase price to make it livable after sitting empty for 10 years. Not sure my nerves or pocketbook are ready for that level of commitment, but I'd love to have the end result. Which is why I started looking into design build firms... hoping they would handle the stress for us. But wasn't sure if that is realistic.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What are the ages of the homes you're interested in?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

It's already very smart of you to start getting professional opinions before buying a place..because somebody I know closely(her name starts with A...)))) first bought a fixer upper, and then started getting opinions and bids..)))

cpartist is right on the spot, with "whatever they say.." ..whoever they are))))

"Creeping elegance" that Suzi mentioned is a brilliant way to describe things how they unfold..))

Mon thanked aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Another topic you could start is "What Do You Wish You Hadn't Done," or something like that. My late MIL lived 2 hours away, and we hired a wonderful contractor to update her home, and it sold before it ever got on the MLS for higher than we were going to ask. We really liked that guy, but that house was not somewhere we intended to live.

He assured us (wanting the job of course) that he works all over Southern California, so we hired him for our (2 hours away) remodel of our newly purchased dream home..

HUGE MISTAKE. His crew lived far away and they had to drive and the entire thing took longer, and I do suggest that you choose LOCAL contractors / workers. We updated late MIL's home to sell it. BUT, huge difference when you are going to live there.

It worked out ok for us, but would have been easier if the contractor was local. Keep that in mind.

Re: "Creeping Elegance," it happens because you can't visualize what you think you want until it's done, and then, it's just not quite right.

Staying tuned to your progress!

Mon thanked Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Wow..same thing with a contractor who's in 2 hours drive..

As we're also in Southern California-I start wondering..))

• Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Suzi - selling above asking before listing it...I can't imagine house shopping in such a competitive market. Hopefully that helped take the sting out of the pain of working with that contractor.

CPArtist - the homes in our target area are over 100 years old. Think historic brownstones & row houses. The front facades are historically protected on a majority of them so they have already been "taken down to the studs" to update the wiring, insulation, and plumbing but...

It's comical how trends change so drastically! One home won awards for the master bath that is covered too to bottom in smokey mirrors and pink marble. So much pink marble. Now imagine an entire home decorated at the same time and you get an idea of what we saw. Beautiful in its day, but that day is long past.

I just don't know if it'd be financially worth hiring a developer to blow out the house and build/restore these homes to how we want, or buy an already finished one that is close enough to our ideal.

7 years ago

Pink! I guess if you wait long enough, it will become trendy again! :-) When we were looking for our current home, there was one that had been on the market for months, even years! The pink marble mansion on the hill. It's been 3 years now. Lost track of it, but it's probably still for sale.

@big_city_lights, I may have misspoken. We had a listing agent, but he had a huge base of fellow realtors and buyers in his pocket. He knew who was looking and what they were looking for.

As soon as we got our updates and staging done, he begged us to show it before the grand open house to all agents. We hesitated, but finally agreed. We had set a price, and the buyer made a full price offer. We countered $10K higher. She swooped it up! I really wanted a bidding war because I knew the location and the house looked great, but she was a cash buyer and hubby wanted a sure thing. :-)

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

Back to original issues. Here's what strikes me about the situation.... you have never done an extensive remodel, My (albeit limited) knowledge of such projects is that they are most likely successfully when done by 1) professional contractors or 2) very experienced and skilled DIY'ers with no financial or time restraints or 3) people with very very deep pockets. You think that it might take 30-40% of the purchase price to make that one house livable? Take that as a absolute minimum, I'd guess. Figure 30 or 40% overruns on any estimates that you get from contractors, at least. And figure that there will be $$urprises all along the way. Add to this your living expenses during the year or so of construction. Add to this the professional plans and engineering reports that will be necessary to get permits.

Good luck.

Mon thanked sushipup1
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

CPArtist - the homes in our target area are over 100 years old. Think historic brownstones & row houses. The front facades are historically protected on a majority of them so they have already been "taken down to the studs" to update the wiring, insulation, and plumbing but...

Now you're talking my language as I'm an old house lover. My first house was a 1927 craftsman bungalow and my second house was an 1898 colonial revival/victorian.

If it's been taken down to the studs so the mechanicals are all updated, then I think it's doable.

My dream was always a brownstone in Brooklyn NY, so yes I know what you're looking at.

It's comical how trends change so drastically! One home won awards for the master bath that is covered too to bottom in smokey mirrors and pink marble. So much pink marble. Now imagine an entire home decorated at the same time and you get an idea of what we saw. Beautiful in its day, but that day is long past.

Sorry, I can't think it was even beautiful in its day. LOL.

Are you looking to restore the house to close to what it might have looked like back when it was built and if so, do these houses still mostly have the architectural features that made them so wonderful? The moldings around the doors and windows? The wide base molding? Crown moldings? The built ins? What about the flooring?

I just don't know if it'd be financially worth hiring a developer to blow out the house and build/restore these homes to how we want, or buy an already finished one that is close enough to our ideal.

Are you willing to put up with the dust and debris? How long are you planning on living in the house?

What is your market like where you're looking right now? Is it a sellers market or a buyer's market or is it right in the middle?

Are you willing to choose the house that's been sitting on the market the longest and that might be able to be gotten for less than others in the neighborhood?

That's what we did back in 2010 with our condo. We found the condo that had been sitting on the market for well over a year that was dreary gray and stuck in the early 80's throughout and was the worst condo in an excellent sought out building.

We completely gutted it and updated it. We didn't do the work ourselves, but had a contractor do all the work. We just sold it this past April and it sold for close to double what we paid to buy it in 2010. Of course almost half of that went to the reno costs but even so we did very well.

If you're willing to find the true diamond in the rough, and you stick within your budget for the reno, you can reap the rewards of it more so than buying what someone else did.

However, if you move into it, you need to put up with the dust and the mess, and having workmen in your house on a daily basis. If you don't live in it, you have to factor in the cost of living somewhere else for that time period.

I personally love the process of renovating and/or building and getting exactly what I want and in the case of an old house, restoring it to its former glory. I love hunting down and making all the decisions regarding flooring, tile, sinks, etc. I don't mind the delays, the problems, etc. I consider it the cost of reno. However, my DH has less tolerance for it all and he leaves most of the decision making to me.

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

Im sorta acting as my own gc, so our situations arent entirely comparable - but I found a buyers agent with background in construction and house renovation/reselling. Still may want to call in experts at some point, but it s valuable having some feedback right from the beginning re: ballpark costs, how and what can be done, whats feasible vs. not realistic, code issues, etc.

Mon thanked Debbie Downer
  • homechef59
    7 years ago

Buying a renovation project is a combination of common sense, imagination and experience. Rule #1, don't fall in love with it. Be willing to walk away. It's a business transaction. Rule #2, You make money when you buy, not when you sell. Repeat that rule. Rule #3, When you look at a home, assume everything is going to cost you. Don't trust anyone. Rule #4, Try not to add square footage. It's expensive. Rarely will it work out from a cost standpoint. Rule #5, Water is the enemy. Does it leak? Is it wet? Is it damp? Does the water drain away from it? .

Norm on This Old House used to use the analogy of the old man dressed for winter. Does he have a hat? The roof. Does he have shoes? The foundation and basement. Does he have on a sweater? The walls and windows. Is he fully dressed? If yes, it's a candidate. If no, it's going to cost you a lot of money and trouble. They aren't sexy items, but those are the things where you will spend unexpected money.

Renovations are hard work. I think most people are not capable of doing it. That's why houses in need of renovation are hard to sell. Only the brave or the foolhardy can do it. You learn after looking at enough houses what to consider and what to walk away from. Much of the elimination can by done by you. Only when you get to the point where you are about to put money down, do you call in the inspector, contractor, plumber, electrician and roofer to give you a review, Be prepared to pay for them. Nothing is free. That's why you can eliminate most candidates early.

I've walked away from houses with unexpected issues revealed in an inspection. I've also bought houses without an inspection on the assumption everything was a problem and needed to be addressed. Every situation is different. Use your common sense.

Mon thanked homechef59
  • Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Alot of food for thought here. Luckily we are not in a rush to buy and can take our time pondering how much we are willing to take on. We would live in our current condo during any renovation as my SIL just renovated and walking through the work site was enough to convince us it will be factored into the budget.

We are not DIYers (at this level), so everything would be handled by professionals.

Homechef- If there are only 2 camps of renovators, I hope we are merely brave and not fool hardy! Lol! Luckily we haven't seen any "love at first sight" homes so we have no problem walking away if the numbers don't work for us. And it helps that my husband is a numbers guy by day.

I have calls into a few firms, but with it being a holiday weekend, my mind is spinning and I wanted to hear from houzzers.

Each home we have seen is in a different level of need. Some only need cosmetic updating, since behind the walls is recent. We are good with this.

Another needed an exterior wall moved, removal of previous bad reno work, expand garages etc. - we quickly agreed to walk away as it required much much deeper pockets and someone with a higher risk tolerance.

Now we are focusing on things we cannot change - what are we wiling to compromise on? We have crossed off some located on a busy street since we can always renovate an ugly bath but can't move the house.

• Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CPAartist - you sound like me! I can see the potential in homes and renovation doesn't bother me (I grew up helping my DIY father complete some serious DIY projects on his house). My husband has trouble "seeing it", but the more we house hunt the more he is on board. It helps that nearly all the homes sit on a standard lot size and are the same width & depth, everyone just used the lot differently through the years so you wind up borrowing ideas.

Our favorite homes are a blend of historic and modern conveniences. A lot have been owned by people who value the character in them and try to always keep and reuse the original items through the years. I just love the historic crown molding and gorgeous original wood banisters.

There were a few that have carriage house studios or basement apartments, so there was talk of living in the "rental unit" during renovation to save money. Since they are legal rentals, they are on separate HVAC systems, so reno dust wouldn't be in the vents. Anyone done that before??

• homechef59
    7 years ago

Yes. You still feel as if you are in a renovation zone, because you are. There are workmen coming and going. There is dust and scrambles for parking places. It's always something.

I firmly believe that you will get better results by being on site. Any questions can be answered quickly. You will see the mistakes as they happen and can get them fixed. Or, at the least, be part of the solution. But, it's still wearing on you. You will be glad when it's done.

Mon thanked homechef59
  • freeoscar
    7 years ago

In my experience one of the most important things when renovating is choosing a contractor who is familiar with the type and scope of work you are planning to do, and does it repeatedly. So I recommend walking around the neighborhood, contacting a few of the contractors who are currently working on similar houses, schedule a brief meeting and ask one of them to look at a couple of homes you are considering to give you a quick estimate of how much it would cost to renovate it. And then, yes, add 30-50% to that to get a safer number.

Mon thanked freeoscar
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

You've gotten some excellent advice, including the adding 30-50% to the cost. LOL.

I would have no problem living in the rental unit during reno.

In my first home, my ex and I did all the work ourselves. I'm very handy and so was he so it worked out well. I painted, wallpapered, laid floor tile, helped him hang cabinets, etc. We hired out the plumbing when he decided he could take out a kitchen in the master bedroom the previous owners had put in, and wound up not being able to shut the water off. (Don't ask. lol)

In our second home, we did all the demo work and then hired out for the major work of rebuilding walls, etc. I then painted, tiled the backsplash, etc.

In our condo we just sold, I decided I don't have the time, patience, or the back anymore to do all that. LOL. I'm too old.

• Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's a great idea FreeOscar as there are plenty of renovations in the area. Thank you.

We have had a twist in the house hunt today...

There was a condo we liked back in February. We lost the bid to another buyer over just $10k. Even our agent said it was weird they didn't counter and just accepted the other offer. We move on and start looking at houses since no other similar condo units have listed.... Until now.

Of course the condo also needs updating. So I'm looking at renovating a kitchen and 2 baths there and still waiting on contractors to return calls. Since I have been stalking these particular units, we feel confident about making an offer based on market price (as many of the recent comps were not renovated either).

• Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Must have posted at the same time as you CPArtist. I wish I had the skills to do work like you did! But some of the houses are just too far gone to even consider going without professionals.

Lesson from all:

Double any estimates we get. Got it!!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

If it's a condo I'd be sure to get the condo docs first before making an offer. Make sure they have enough in reserve, etc.

Also I'd want to know why the listing fell apart now 4 1/2 months later. Usually houses have closed before that.

• Mon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CPArtist - oops, sorry I wasn't clear. This is a completely different unit. Same complex and same floor plan, just a new listing. We did our due diligence on the HOA back in February and we're happy they are as healthy as it is.

It's just we have already mentally moved on to searching for a single family home and then this unit pops up. :/

• cpartist
    7 years ago

So now you have to decide if you'd prefer a condo or a single family. :)

We lived in a condo for the past 6 years and while we had wonderful neighbors and good times there, we're ready for a single family house again. We're calling it our last hurrah house. LOL. What finally got us to decide to move was when they looked into putting hurricane windows into our units, (we're in SW FL in a building built in the early 80's). Their idea of looking into it was to ask the insurance agent if we were ok and they said it was fine. We felt in this case they were being penny wise and pound foolish because what they had for "hurricane shutters" would not be up to code nowadays.

So we decided to find a single family home once more.

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

We have done complete Reno twice. First a lot was DIY and we did things slowly when we had the money. The 1870 we are in now we did it all at one with a very talented restoration expert. Expensive - but we are older & didn't want to live in constant construction. Both times our decision on purchase was based on LOCATION.

Mon thanked eandhl2
  • sushipup1
    7 years ago

Daydream, these forums are not for soliciting business. We call it spam.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Sushi, I flagged it. You should too.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

i did. It takes more than one of us to actually get it pulled. One person can pull an original thread, but it's harder to get rid of these in the middle of threads. Looks like we were successful here!