SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfahy

Remodeling For Resale

kfahy
2 years ago

Hi there. I'm looking for some crucial advice on selecting main elements for house. I had a fire in my house 2 years ago and it's still not livable! I'm a single empty nester and decidedly to sell everything and live fulltime in a motorhome. Anyway ,the house is in a beautiful area of Greensboro NC and I want to appeal to largest group of buyers. Long story short, I would love some opinions on these major parts of a house you would want to buy:
1. What type of sink would be your 1st choice if buying a new home?
2. What kind of tile for kitchen backsplash and bathroom?
3. What color would you want th hardwood floors stained?(There is no carpet in the house)
4. What material would your kitchen counter be?
This will be so helpful to me and, I think, pretty interesting! 😊

Comments (67)

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"Last picture is the look I was going for."

Is your house a farmhouse? No, it's a red brick colonial in the suburbs. Keep your elements classic. Farmhouse elements are classic when furnishing a farmhouse. :) The bleached greyed woods and "French country" decor don't belong in your house. Besides, people are catching on that the Farmhouse look doesn't look authentic in every home. The look is fast waning. That said, I don't know your local real estate market. Perhaps buyers in your area doesn't know this yet? :)

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Since you apparently have already had the cabinets installed doing an apron sink may mean switching out the cabinet unless you want an odd bump where the sink goes.

Trying to be realistic but you may have little choice in additional finishes because almost all are in short supply because of the virus. If you are willing to wait 6 months to a year for the perfect piece you may be able to obtain it. That said do what HO-UZZ above mentioned. The new buyers may just rip everything out and do what they want to with it.

• Related Discussions

Remodeling 3 children or guest baths for home sale

Q

Comments (54)
    Beth H. As pretty as your bath is, I also love your black kitty cat! I had a black cat for 12 years until he died, and could not get anymore because of my children's allergies to cats. I have a large skylight over my whirlpool tub in my own home and love it. I could do a big shower if I took that whirlpool out, but I happen to be one of those rare persons who uses their whirlpool all the time. In the home I'm remodeling, could I just do an accent in the niche and eliminate a stripe? The new build homes around my area all seem to have accent borders either vertical or horizontal. I agree with Tatts above about borders being like wall paper borders, only problematic to change. I just not have been in one new build home, not model home, but hew builds for sale that have not had accent tiles in every single bathroom. I don't have them in my own home, so I didn't really know. Your accents are so tastefully done, but also in your master.
    ...See More

Bathroom remodel for resale

Q

Comments (6)
    An easy and cost-effective alternative for your bathroom walls that is changeable over time, is an adhesive tile approach where you aren't skimping on quality and it's something you can trim down and install yourself without all the mortar and grout. Here's some ideas https://www.houzz.com/projects/users/info959?lt=hl
    ...See More

Complete Kitchen Remodel for Resale Due to Water Damage

Q

Comments (17)
    Agree with the above. While I personally think espresso cabinets would be pretty, white will appeal to the most buyers. And please don’t do one color upper and one color lower cabinets (which you didn’t say but someone above suggested). While that may be a trend there are many people who would be turned off but it. Since you know you are selling I would go for the most basic, bright, pretty kitchen that appeals to the most people. As others said, let the buyer pick their own backsplash. A painted backsplash is fine. You could even give a backsplash allowance if you wanted. Pergo flooring would be a turnoff for many in my area too. Most of the houses that sell quickly for the most money here either have hardwood throughout or hardwood in the main living areas and tile in the kitchen, but that may be very market dependent. If you look at recently sold and under contract houses in your area you can get a fee if laminent is the norm or not.
    ...See More

Whole house renovation vs downstairs remodel

Q

Comments (5)
    What do you mean by "digging out"? If you're actually talking about digging out a dirt floor cellar ... definitely rethink that. Do you have a garage or even a carport you could enclose or an unused bedroom you might remodel instead? Do you have room on your lot to build a screened porch now that could become an enclosed sun porch later?
    ...See More
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"You’re eating into the sale profits with all of the angst as bad expense."

OP asked a few questions to garner opinions. Not sensing much angst on OP's part. Rather, I'm sensing OP "wants to do good" by their house for the next homeowners.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cabinets have not been installed and they haven't even made them yet. I had a high problem with them after I gave them 19k deposit.

I can have a any sink that will fit 36" cabinet.

It's an upper middle priced neighborhood neighborhood. Buyers would probably be those starting a family or with young kids.

I really want to know if a

Anyway, I just want to reiterate that this us an insurance claim. The money is not coming out of my pocket.

I just want to make it as sellable as possible. Real Estate is incredibly hot in Greensboro NC. This house has increased in value about 75k in the last year or so as it was without my upgrades.

Miller Kitchen · More Info

White Kitchen · More Info

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really wanto know which one would you choose for your new home?

I'm thinking that a quartzite countertop would be nuetral?

Shoreline Kitchen · More Info

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

If you have not had the cabinets installed you are months and perhaps even a year away from selling your house. When you stated "Everthing with the cabinets is done FINALLY" it implied that they were in place and finished which is not what it sounds like in your posts after that. You need to hire a actual general contractor, select finishes for a flip, and let it go. Do you even have installers lined up for what is needing to be done plumbing, cabinets, floors, painters beyond rough in work?

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love everyone's ideas! The backsplash idea from Tartanmeup is something I think I might do.

The house was kind of dark before I opened it up. I think the lighter the better. I only have eight foot ceilings. The great news is NO MORE POPCORN!

The insurance pays me as I send in estimates. I have 3 years to finish. I wish they would just make me an offer to close the claim on the house and items damaged and lost.

I've actually saved a lot of money by doing it myself be cause a General Contractor would have added 20% for profit and overhead. I was very afraid of running out of insurance allowances so I'm trying to make it go to the most important elements.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

You are doing this as though it is your forever home. Because of low interest rates and fears about big increases in cost of materials, just finish. You can do nice, neutral material finishes and get this back on the market. Buyers will be thrilled to put their stamp on things.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"I just want to make it as sellable as possible. Real Estate is incredibly hot in Greensboro NC. This house has increased in value about 75k in the last year or so as it was without my upgrades."

A hot market does not require top of the line finishes. Houses sell like hotcakes regardless of their state. An experienced local real estate agent is your best ally to figure out how to spend the money to renovate.

"I really wanto know which one would you choose for your new home?"

No, you really want to know what the next possible homeowner will want. :) We can tell you which finishes make the most sense in your home from the slanted front pic you shared but it's no guarantee the next homeowner will love them. Without knowing what is selling for comparable houses in YOUR market, we're just giving you general advice.

The 4 pics you just shared?

Miller kitchen: do not glean any inspiration from this one

The white kitchen below: Boston. All custom and marble.

Shoreline kitchen: more marble and high end finishes. Do these two kitchens with marble counters look like anything you'd see in a similar house as yours in the same neighbourhood?

4th pic you posted: builder grade with DIY updates. No designer input on that one.

Get an onsite designer consultation for really profitable and useful advice on finish selections and sources. Two to three hours onsite is all an experienced eye needs to give you advice that makes sense for your situation.

Here are 2 NC designers I found via the Houzz directory who had had some classic designs in their portfolios. There are plenty more. See if anyone is available for a consultation. Explain the scope of work: advice on best finishes for your house with X budget.

Marta Mitchell

Jessica Dauray - Elements of Style

Alternatively maybe a Pro active in this forum who lives in your area will chime in.

Best of luck. Hope you keep us posted and share pics of what your results.

ETA: Do not take 3 years to finish this! The market is hot NOW. Seeing the wisdom in others who suggested you get it done with the mindset of a flipper.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I I honesty am pretty proud of the way I'm handling this😎 I'm really not having much angst. Making decisions for everything in a house alone is really hard. At first I was going to keep it and started picking things that I would do but now I want to appeal to a majority of buyers.I do want to make the house top quality for the next owner. It is so well built that it would be a shame to put in crappy stuff that would just be ripped out. I have 3 rentals and always make them a place that I would be proud to live in.

I think that this was a horrible to go through but a blessing in disguise. I would never have realized how much lighter and happier I could be in a small condo or motorhome without all the "stuff" to weigh me down. It gave me a chance to reevaluate my priorities and the guts to change.

• PRO
    CoolAir Inc.
    2 years ago

Whiter counter tops and glossy tiled floors are my pick but you seem to e on a massive remodelling, Do not spend that much money if you are selling your house.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    2 years ago

I read most of the comments. All good.

Just wondering why you want to do all the wonderful improvements?

Would you like to do them, and stay? At least for awhile?

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"Would you like to do them, and stay? At least for awhile"

I don't want to go back to living there. I have a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback that sheds everywhere! I'm done cleaning that house!

"Just wondering why you want to do all the wonderful improvements?"

I guess I want to do all the improvements is because I love to decorate!
    I was just trying to find out the trends from real, unbiased people. Double checking my sink, floor color and countertop choices. I think I got some really good ideas!

I think there was some misunderstanding, my cabinets are Finally going forward. Local custom cabinet maker held up project. Plumbing, hvac, electrical, framing and painting are all finished as far as they can go until after cabinets are in. It has to go in a certain order. After cabinets, backsplash and bathroom tile will go in.
    Electrician and plumber and hvac can come in and finish with all my sinks and fixtures etc.
    Next is the sanding and staining of the floors.
    The last thing will be the cleaning crew and punch list.

I know it would be easier to hire a contractor. That's how I started out.
    I just could take it when the crew was cutting holes in my ceiling to get the insulation out with my shop vac while another guy was spraying primer on the walls in the same room.

My father was a builder and always did his work as if it were his own home. It's hard to find anyone who has that kind of work ethic. I don't want anyone in that house that messes things up more than they were to start out.

The easy way is not necessarily the best way. I just can't "not care" knowing someone else might move into more problems.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

If by framing you mean walls are ready to be sheet rocked but if you mean framing as in the trim being in place but only now selecting flooring and back splashes. Either way you are in way over your personal capabilities.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Curious when you removed the wall did you have a structural engineer approve it?

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

". Either way you are in way over your personal capabilities"

You have no idea what I'm capable when I put my mind to it🦸‍♀️

I forgot to say that sheetrock is up. I thought it was implied by saying it's painted. Anyway, thank u for you're vote of confidence 😒

I only asked what the people would choose if they bought a new house.. A pollll, if you will, with 4 questions:

1.Floor stain?
    2.Counter material, color?
    3.Tile material and /or pattern?
    4.undermount or apron kitchen sink?

If that's cause for concern about my stress, capabilities or sanity, please don't worry. Just take the poll if you want and don't make more out of a simple question than there is.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I did have a separate contractor remove the wall. It was a load bearing wall so they need to put in an LVL. An engineer had to do all the calculations and it had to be approved and inspected.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Needed

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I helped my father build many homes so I know when something is done right or someone is taking shortcuts. Probably drives contractors nuts but I've seen a lot of very crappy work and I prefer to be there and make sure that the job is done right. It may not be what another woman would do but it's just the way I am. All the nice, beautiful finishes is like putting lipstick on a pig if the house is going to fall apart!

• Therese N
    2 years ago

I think you’ve been misunderstood. You seem perfectly capable. I suspect after your ordeal you just have decision fatigue like I do. I still think you should let buyers choose, but I’d stick with basic whites & greys and be sympathetic to the Georgian architecture, and not get bogged down making it too farm housey. Just updated classics. Keep it super simple. Maybe a bit nicer than flip house cheap, but don’t overthink any of it.

1. What species/type of flooring did you install? I’d generally say only clear stain. Is the rest of your millwork white?
    2. Countertops - previous response
    3. Consider limewashed thin brick. There are so many options with backsplashes. Subway tile isn’t even a simple choice anymore. White cabinets I presume? Try for light tile that has a bit of shading for visual interest. If everything is plain white it is boring and a bit too modern for your situation.
    4. Undermount sink. It sounds like you already ordered cabinets and you need to plan for apron sinks before they are ordered.
  • Therese N
    2 years ago

Loud DITTO for Flo’s response!!!

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Theresen, who is the manufacturer of those samples? I have an OHM stone supplier that has slabs to choose from. They also can order anything else. I loved the Danby Marble from Vermont and Cambria Quartz but those were extravagances I would have saved for myself.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

These are SILESTONE and I think they are some of their more basic and readily available colors.

Ok, I just checked their inventory. They can guide you with choices and offer solutions, but start here - my first choice is Empira White, but they only have one slab, so either see if they can transfer a second slab if needed, change to Mount Blanc, or use a second color like Grey Flannel on perimeter and save Empira for island. I don’t know what their prices are, so careful on budget.

Don’t special order. Stay local availability. Per previous suggestion - let’s get this done before June!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Agree with theresen. Be careful of quartz suppliers. Go see slabs in person. Avoid large vein choices unless you have straight runs. Wide veining is difficult to match without extra slabs. Make sure the choice you like comes in jumbo sizes if you have large island. I like Cambria quartz but a bit pricey. Silestone is good product and they have added some newer looks that have responded to white kitchen craze.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

I was just looking again, and although it’s more risky (style-wise) than quartz, this is really beautiful! Another quartz color option is “White Attica”.
    However, this “Vanilla Ice” is stunning! Have them put two of these slabs aside with your name on them! Note block number. Lucky for you they have them right in town.

https://inventory.ohmintl.com/VANILLA-ICE-3CM-CLASSIC/5597/Location

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

While that slab is pretty you will eliminate half of buyers. Most don’t want that much movement. What I always tell folks I am staging or prepping their homes for sale is “this isn’t your home now.” It is a hard thing for some to separate but usually selling and getting into “next home” makes it easier.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"What if someone knocked on the door today and said “I want to buy your house as is so we can pick what we like?” What would you do?"

Ha ha, nobody would answer. Dang thing's been empty for 2 years!

Ordered Kohler Riverby single bowl apron sink. Going to OHM on Monday t
    and, hopefully, they have the Zeal Soul Shine below. Whew! That was pretty painless😁

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Let your cabinetmaker know. Bases for apron sinks are different

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My cabinet maker is actually picking up my sink next Friday. I have a tile setter coming to finish up the walls in the walk-in shower th other 2 bathrooms when the cabinets are in so he can do the backsplash as well.The cabinets have to be installed in 2 phases because I have a china cabinet piece that needs the counter on before they can install the top pieces. The floors in the bathrooms and laundry are already done. 18x12 marble look from floor and decor. I had the walls done but the tiles started to all fall off and I had to have someone else remove them. The guy was actually recommended by a lot of my neighbors on "Nextdoor ". Back to square one. And the hits just keep on commin!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"I would have thought an apron sink needed to be specified before the cabinets?"

Only if you want the apron to be as deep as the bowls. A short apron sink will retrofit into a standard sink cabinet.

The Riverby apron front is apparently not available in a short apron model. It will require a special cabinet.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"I have a tile setter coming to finish up the walls in the walk-in shower th other 2 bathrooms when the cabinets are in so he can do the backsplash as well."

@kfahy, sounds as if you already have the tile on hand? Was your post to validate your choices? Your comment also mentions a china cabinet. If the real estate listing mentions this, you may want to call it display storage. ;-) Not many young families have china nowadays. Again, best of luck with everything.

Thanks for that sink info, @Joseph Corlett, LLC. Good to know.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

If this house has been empty, I guarantee there are people waiting for a for sale sign. Get ready for multiple offers at or over your price! Get ready to let go!

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett

"I would have thought an apron sink needed to be specified before the cabinets?"

Please read where I said that the custom contractor is building the cabinets starting this week. The sink cabinet is the last one he builds. He can build the cabinet according to my choice of sink.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I had the glass tile installed on the back of my walk in shower. The 3rd picture is the tile for the other 2 walls and tub surround in the 2nd bath upstairs. It was done by a recommended contractor and shortly after it started to fall off the walls with very little adhesive on the back. (picture 2).I provided the adhesive recommended by Floor and Decor but he said he had his own technique. The marble looking tiles even fell chipping my brand new $900 bathtub! 90% of the tiles are now unusable. That's the reason that it has to be completely redone!

Since I'm now selling, I'm going to nix the glass in favor of all marble look tiles to match the floors. This is another issue in small claims court!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

You’re already doing a great job in an unusual situation. Go basic white Classic. Watch out for too many “farmhouse-y” choices since it’s been pointed out that your home is a different look. Keep the floors light! Go with a simple Silestone countertops and simple backsplash. You need to sell, not get into a design magazine. People are on line waiting for your “For Sale” sign. I like the sink you chose. Keep the wood floors in the kitchen as well. I also agree that Flo was very clear about the best way to think about this.
    You’re very competent and builder-aware. Keep everything simple.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

And do consider not finishing it!! I would love to move into a solidly built house where I could choose my own finishes. It's shamefully wasteful when homeowners take possession of a newly remodelled house and end up ripping everything up within 6 months because it's not to their taste.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've thought of that but it's a fire insurance claim. All of the final inspections have to be done before it can be lived in.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would think I would get less money if I assigned the claim to a new owner.

I looked it up and it looks like there is a loophole to be able to do that.

Any thoughts?

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Talk to your insurance claim adjuster. My neighbor had the option of rebuilding or taking the money. In your case you could take the money pay any bills such as to the cabinet contractor then sell the property. There would be no need for a final inspection by the insurance company.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Worth a call to insurance person. You might need Occupancy Permit from local entity too but that’s mainly for habitability. Not for tiling etc. But our local pet are incredibly different to work with and very demanding. That is a crime what that tiler did. Was it someone the insurance company recommended?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

DEFINITELY find out if not doing all this work is an option. I would love to buy a house that I can finish in my own taste. Your insurance person, building inspection people, etc. should know the answers to this. Much easier for you and there will be A LOT of buyers for this circumstance. Plus, your house would be priced accordingly.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

So many auto corrects. I just noticed this morning. I meant our local building inspectors are incredibly difficult to work with. So check that out too.

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

I couldn’t even read all of the responses on this thread because I could feel my heart racing and my anxiety level going up. We had a fire years ago and it was a devastating experience, mostly due to fighting with insurance. i truly believe I had PTSD from the experience. I won’t go into details but I will say what we ultimately did.

After the house sat untouched for some time and we finally settled, we sold the albatross to a contractor “as is”. As much as we loved the house and the neighborhood I was glad to let it go. You are not obligated to repair this home.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I am so sorry Ilovered. So traumatic.

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

Thanks Flo. It was a long time ago. That’s how I found GW. My twins were 8 mo old. They are grad hs on Saturday

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Trauma like that never goes away completely as you know. I had an aunt and uncle who had a farm house in northern Michigan. They had a fire in their house. They rebuilt and that house also burned to the ground. They never recovered really. So you are lucky. A awful experience for sure.

• kfahy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and stories of your own.

• taliaferro
    2 years ago

@kfahy “I just can't ‘not care’ knowing someone else might move into more problems.”

How refreshing!

And I just love your dog!

• chisue
    2 years ago

Two days before we closed on the sale of our Maui condo, the people above us 'checked' their refrigerator's water line. It ruptured overnight, soaking the ceiling in our condo's bedroom and bath. Our Realtor suggested giving our Buyer a credit to make repairs to suit herself. The remediation company's cost was paid by insurance. Insurance would pay the repair costs, too. We gave the Buyer a credit and we collected on the insurance for the amount the remediation company bid to do the repairs. (We came out ahead.)

Now, not every Buyer has the ability to see 'what could be' or to estimate costs, but you could wrap this up quickly by giving a Buyer a credit to do her own repairs. You could sell now, while the market is hot! Mortgage rates are already starting to go up.

If you'd rather dazzle with reapirs made and a turn key home, ask a local Realtor what repairs would put you just a tad above your local competition. (You should also look at your competition photos online.) It doesn't matter what's in glossy magazine layouts. Your market is local to you.