SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Mama Floof!

amylou321
2 years ago

Are/were their things that you and your mother share? Or if you are a mother, something that you and any of your children share? Like a hobby, a passion, a quirk, a like or dislike?

For me, my mother and I both really enjoy growing flowers. Roses especially. None of my siblings do. They do not like the fiddly nature of them, so most do not have them. I do have one sister that lives on a farm, but her garden is strictly things to sell, eat, or can/freeze for the rest of the year. Me and my mom are the only ones that really love to grow flowers just for the pleasure of them. Also, we share a fanatic love of chocolate, dark chocolate. Again, my siblings like chocolate well enough, but not at the same level as her and I. For Mothers Day I sent her a giant box full of Harry and David Dark Chocolate Truffles, our favorites.

That's it. We really do not have much else in common. What about you?

Comments (30)

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

scrabble, card games, rubix cube

amylou321 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

My mother has been gone since 1995 but we both loved cooking and roller coasters. So does my DD and I.

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Related Discussions

Floof: Do you have a favorite bowl?

Q

Comments (30)
    I probably have more bowls than any one person ought to have. Which is my favorite depends on what I am doing. I have two fairly small size (maybe 2 qt.?) Melmac splatter ware bowls that I absolutely love for mixing small amounts of anything. They are light weight, easy to clean, and I love the slight lip around the edge that makes them so easy to handle. I wish I had a couple of bigger sizes like them. Mixing large amounts of anything calls for the large yellow Pyrex bowl that was my mother's, I have the whole set of 4, and use them often. No idea how old they are, she had them ever since I can remember. I use my electric hand mixer in them, no problems. For my stand mixer, I use the stainless bowl that came with it, nothing else would fit. Also have a few other bowls of various sizes and types, including Tupperware, which I decided many years ago, I really don't like. I mean I really REALLY don't like Tupperware! ! ! And then there are the many different serving bowls, most of which would probably be considered 'vintage' or 'collectible', and a few might even be antiques. A few that came from my Grandfather's home in Germany, and some my mother got in boxes of soap many years ago. I like dishes of all kinds, can you tell? (Grin) Rusty
    ...See More

Super Floof! For those in a silly mood......:OP

Q

Comments (29)
    I have a robo vac and her name is ROSIE!!! Named after the Jetsons maid just like you suggested. I love my Rosie. She’s now 3 years old. Heres a funny: I had her scheduled to come on in the evening earlier this year, to vacuum the bedrooms. It was a dark and rainy night when I heard her come on and start down the hall. My immediate thought: oh! It’s dark in the bedrooms and Rosie can’t see! I better go turn the lights on for her. Doh!!
    ...See More

just for fun-what was the number one song on your birthday (website)

Q

Comments (28)
    I have never heard of the one for my birthday, but it was fun....You Call Everybody Darlin’ by Al Trace and his orchestra. I’ve also heard you are defined by the song that was popular on your 14th Birthday, so maybe we should all look at that date.
    ...See More

Floof! You're running for president...

Q

Comments (50)
    Would it be O K with you, Hot Rod .. ... if the pet, indicating that the water was too chilly, asked to put the hot rod into it for a few minutes to warm it up some? Better not overdo it, though - for a good many/(most?) of our politicians strenuously avoid getting into hot water. Oh, right! We are talking dogs and cats, parrots, goats and cuckoos ... ... not politicians, aren't we? ole joyful P.S. Regarding that poo to which several of you referred ... that'd usually be of the kind produced by dogs, cats and such, of course, wouldn't it? None like that produced by elephinks, or jackasses, I imagine that you meant, right? o j
    ...See More
  • Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

The only thing I can think of is my mom and I liked to play card games and maybe swim. We were very different. She was loud and I am quiet. She had tons of friends that hung out all the time, I have few friends that I see very rarely. She also knew how to sew and I can only sew by hand.

My daughter is more like me but she also has lots of friends she hangs out with but is quiet like me. We both like to eat out, see movies, travel to new place. We both also like coffee.

My son is quiet like me and has a small group of friends he hangs out with. He also likes to travel and eat out and see movies.

My kids and I also like to play board games.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • kadefol
    2 years ago

My mother passed away in '98 and we really had nothing whatsoever in common. Well, except except blond hair and a tendency to gain weight easily. :)

amylou321 thanked kadefol
  • maifleur03
    2 years ago

I have tried my best not to have much in common with my mother. In some ways I envy those who do have.

amylou321 thanked maifleur03
  • lily316
    2 years ago

I have nothing in common with my mother except maybe her walking /hiking which she did till 91. When my daughter gave me 23 and Me, she said maybe you'll find out you were adopted. My mother was a fabulous cook. I am not. Our politics are 180 degrees apart and my views are waaaaay more liberal than hers were. She was religious and attended church every week. I am not.

My daughter is my best friend. We both like to grow flowers, we both love cats, and we have the same taste in decorating and clothing. And we both share identical political and environmental views and campaign vigorously for both.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • functionthenlook
    2 years ago

My mother has been gone for a long time. We both liked to sew, bake goodies on holidays, and love of family. We both believed families stick together through the bad times as well as the good times. She would call me every morning. It was hard when those phone calls stopped.

My daughter never liked to sew or really bakes much, but she does have the same belief in family. There are very few days we don't call each other or text and we have had Sunday dinners together for several years.

amylou321 thanked functionthenlook
  • jill302
    2 years ago

My mom passed last year. While like many others here, I did not have a lot in common with my mother there are a few things we shared an interest in. While in school we were both swimmers. We both liked roses, she had a fabulous rose garden, and we both enjoyed going to tea. Tea was a tradition passed down from my grandmother, she served tea at home or we would stop for tea if out. Beyond that not there is not a lot that we were both interested in.

My mom was very social, very involved in a couple of local guilds. Her favorite thing was going to large parties, one of my least favorite things. Smaller groups are perfect for me.

My daughter was also a swimmer, she even coached swimming, and she is taking me to tea for Mother’s Day, so those interests have carried on. Thankfully, my daughter and I are very close and have more in common.

amylou321 thanked jill302
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I would say that my mother was rather an introvert but not to the degree that I am - she was quite content to be alone with her books, in fact needed recharge time (as i do) but she did always have more friends and socialize more that I ever want to.

We shared a love of watching figure skating on TV and enjoyed it throughout its heyday of competitions between the professionals (in the late 1980s-through the early 2000s). She took up watching baseball when she noticed that I did (I learned to from my grandfather, either watching on TV or listening on the radio sitting under his big oak tree).

I learned to can fruits and vegetables from the garden, and to make preserves from her (passed down from her mother) but I only make preserves now.

She prided herself on being a good cook - me, not so much, but I have my favorites of her recipes that I am sure to make at least yearly.

I feel lucky that my daughter shares an interest in history and enjoys museums, historic structures, and so forth - did so even as a youngster. Lately she has been researching her father's family tree, another interest that we share.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

She's in a nursing home now.

We worked together. We went to lunch together at the local grocer. She was infatuated with the mailman, and I loved the dairy guy. We spent our lunch eating ice cream cones on the curb. We have everything in common, and nothing in common.

I miss my mom like she used to be. Haven't seen her in person since last September.

What we have in common, is clothes and jewelry. We love options!

amylou321 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • nekotish
    2 years ago

My Mom died in 1995. She loved to cook and entertain, as do I. She instilled in me the custom of taking food to someone who was going through a hard time. She loved to read, and often got carried away, neglecting housework and so do I!

amylou321 thanked nekotish
  • kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

My Mom passed in 2016. We were both crazy card players and played for money. When her older sister moved back to Michigan we had so much fun card playing! Auntie would come over at 9am, I'd still be in bed and she would be knocking on the door yelling at me to hurry up and get up, she was losing money the longer I was in bed! In the bad weather I had to go pick her up, so she didn't have to drive in it. Sometimes I was so happy just to go home and be able to sleep in! I live 3 hours north of them.

Mom and I both had a love of crafting. some of the things we did the same and others we did were different. So lots of fun and laughter. Sure miss those days!

amylou321 thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • stacey_mb
    2 years ago

As someone upthread commented, I am just like and also unlike my mother. She is gone now, but we shared a love of lovely clothes (although not indulged as much as we would have liked due to cost). From her, I also learned to be a good cook and to be industrious. On the other hand, she could never understand my interest in books or academics - a waste of time! I couldn't understand her interest in and ability with gardening. She was a "plant magician" and I could not care less!

amylou321 thanked stacey_mb
  • nekotish
    2 years ago

That's a lovely to tribute to your Mom, Elmer. Well said.

amylou321 thanked nekotish
  • bpath
    2 years ago

My mom and I enjoyed walking in woods and gardens, house walks, home tours, and exploring new housing developments. We'd discuss the ergonomics and other qualities.

We had different talents, but shared a non-talent: neither of us let our inability to sing stop us from singing! She loved to dance, I have two left feet. I can play music, she never had the opportunity to learn.

Mom was much better at setting and achieving goals, large and small, than I am.

We both have a way of chatting with strangers and finding the "six degrees of separation".

I wonder what my kids would say about their and my connections? The older and I love books but he is better at literary criticism. The younger and I talk about music but he is way more talented than I am. We all like an good s'more!

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    2 years ago

I have three daughters and we all like to do embroidery work and we all like to color and we all like gardening. Two of my daughters enjoy cooking and so does my son. Two of my daughters enjoy sewing also. My Mother and I loved to sew and cook and embroider. My maternal Grandma would also enjoy embroidering. My paternal Grandma shared her love of baking and gardening and they both were good cooks.

Sue

amylou321 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • ladypat1
    2 years ago

My mother is 99 now, so we have slowed down. I used to say she was my best shopping buddy, could keep up and be interested in anything. She and I both like nature and flower gardening, so glad I inherited that from her. Such a balancing, relaxing thing to do. Today I am taking over some plants she likes and she can sit at a table and pot them up and I will arrange on her deck for her.

amylou321 thanked ladypat1
  • caflowerluver
    2 years ago

The first thing I remembered is standing on a step stool at age 4 next to my mom and making cake, cookies, pies etc. She taught me how to cook all the basics, but really instilled the love of baking most of all.

Also learned from her; sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, quilting and braided rug making. She loved flowers, especially roses and so do I. She loved to visit and see all my flower beds and was crazy about my 60+ rose bushes.

We both loved to read mystery books and collect cook books. I would call every week and we could talk for hours about everything and nothing. She was the only one that I ever could do that with for that long. I miss those long talks. I lost her in 2011 and still feel the lost.

amylou321 thanked caflowerluver
  • stacey_mb
    2 years ago

As we're approaching Mother's Day, I should note that my mother worked very hard and devoted her life to family. She was very selfless and never asked for anything for herself. In this way, she was a wonderful role model of dedicating herself to family, and DS and his family are benefiting from those lessons now as I follow in many of DM's steps.

amylou321 thanked stacey_mb
  • PattiG(rose)
    2 years ago

My mother was very handy at fixing things. If I can fix a broken thing I will. She could do anything, painting, wallpaper, upholstery, sewing, cooking. I haven't tried to do all the things she did, but when I attempt to do something I'm pretty persistent until I get it done.

My daughter is much more like her dad, but we are both pretty quiet and we both are cat lovers.

I miss my mother every day.

amylou321 thanked PattiG(rose)
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Elmer, you rarely open up about yourself personally. I'm glad you shared with us.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • katlan
    2 years ago

My mother was the oldest of 7 kids and grew up during the depression. Everything about her was love, caring for others, nurturing. She helped with all her siblings. She had 6 kids in 8 years while being a full time teacher. She liked to play cards.. Her joy was her family, her kids and grandkids. How she loved all our kids. If I can be half the mother/grandmother she was I will consider myself lucky. She died in my arms August 18, 1998.

My mothers name was Margaret.
    My granddaughters middle name is Mairead, the Irish version of Margaret.

So I guess I have my mothers nurturing (I'm the go to person in our family when someone needs taken care of. Sister having multiple surgeries. Helping several nieces after they had complications after child birth. Helped take care of my MIL and FIL in their last years) and I like to play cards. But mostly, I love to be with my family. That's all I need. That's all she needed.

amylou321 thanked katlan
  • beesneeds
    2 years ago

Moms getting a bit elderly to do as much as she used to. But she taught me so much that I still do and we talk about it. She is ever a font of advice and encouragement and knowledge. Cooking, gardening, sewing, needlework, a slew of other crafting, car stuff, home repair stuff, a love of nature and curiosity to identify and know about the flora and fauna around me... random knowledge and trivia, history and historical stories, a love an ability to appreciate many kinds of music and learn how to dance. Fondness for mysteries, both fictional and non-fictional. She tends to read less and watch more now, and I still tend to read more- but we will chat out and hash out various books that are also on TV.

We share and interest in each others lives. I call her every week, and we spend an hour or two on the phone chatting about all of the above and a lot more. We will call another just to leave an I love you message on the others phone because it's a random nice to hear :)

amylou321 thanked beesneeds
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

My three siblings and I all adored our mom, who died almost 15 years ago. She and #1 were both fascinated by the medical field, following and admiring the advancements of scientific researchers. She and #2 were both tireless workers at whatever task was at hand; neither would quit until the job was done, and done correctly. Always willing to help other folks, with no thought of any sort of repayment. She and #3 both were 'addicted' to exercise and healthy living; Mom jogged daily and sister still goes to the gym and pays attention to diet: eating mostly plants, limiting meat and refined sugars (such will power I don't have!). For myself, Mom and I were unique in that we were the only two coffee drinkers in the family. We shared eclectic taste in music. She was always willing to listen to something different than she'd heard before, never followed the crowd, able to find the good in just about any musical genre, opera, jazz, blues, C&W, world, all forms of rock, through hip hop. One of her final favorites were the Beastie Boys.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • artemis_ma
    2 years ago

Mom and I shared some things. We both liked travelling and eating. She liked to cook, and while I didn't do much cooking when I lived at home (Mom and Dad both cooked, and there is only so much room in a kitchen...) I enjoyed using her best recipes when I moved out on my own. We were both introverts, but Mom less so than myself. We both shared horrid menuestral cycles. We both liked gardening, and foraging for raspberries in the wild. She enjoyed woodland hiking, and was happy when I bought the land I eventually built on and moved into (although she passed long before I was able to do anything like build here).

Mom passed on the Ides of March, 2001, of cancer at age 75.

Other things we weren't the same on. Our musical tastes only had a slight band of overlap. She preferred classical music piano pieces without singing, and I was able to introduce her to Scott Joplin, which she did end up liking. Not much success there, otherwise. We had differing viewpoints on certain issues of the day, but some of that is likely generational and habitual. (We never yelled about them.) She was something of a neat freak, and I remain something quite less than that. She wouldn't want to drop in and see my house today, but she would appreciate the art I have on my walls - a few pieces which had once belonged to her and Dad.

She was a good and considerate woman, and I miss her.

amylou321 thanked artemis_ma
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

My mother was the best. No compliment I receive means more to me than hearing I am just like her in many ways. My mother died at 69 from cancer. I had thought she and I would be little old ladies together one day. I miss her terribly.

amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Elmer, your tribute to your mother brought me to tears. XO

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Thank you, very kind to say so.

I was beyond fortunate to have her as my mother. My kids adored her too. Two of my kids have daughters and each of those grandaughters was given my mother's name as their middle name. I still find that touching when I think about it.

amylou321 thanked Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Katlan, I so understand what this means. I never dreamt I would.

She died in my arms August 18, 1998.