SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todd_gregory30

Advice needed for final bathroom lighting layout

Todd
2 years ago

I am finally a few weeks away from drywall install on my basement bathroom! Now I just need to decide what type of lights to rough-in and where to install them.

As you'll see on the floor plan, it's a unique layout since I have an attached sauna, and an access door for the sump pits.

The plan is to have a switch at the entry door for the main lighting, and then a switch on the left shower alcove wall for the vanity light. Both will have dimmers.

Here are my questions:

1. Where should I install the main lights? I was thinking of doing a couple of recessed lights in the area between the shower and the bench. Should I center them in that floor space, or make them closer to the wall with the bench? How many? Should I include another light in the area of the vanity and toilet, or just rely on the vanity light for that?

2. I currently have a 30" vanity I plan on using. I was going to use the extra space to the right of it for some sort of shelving for towels, etc. Should I stick the vanity all the way in the corner, or should I leave some space from the wall? If I stick it in the corner, I will have to use an overhead vanity light. If I move it away from the wall, then I would have options for sconce lights on each side. But I'm not sure if that would look weird pushing it away from the wall.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living