SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_wacker11

Yet another kitchen cabinet question

Angela Wacker
3 years ago

Hello - I am still stuck on kitchen cabinets. I have looked at many options - Unfinished Kitchen Cabinets (comes assembled but unfinished), Kitchen Cabinet Depot (comes finished but I put together), local cabinet stores (not big box), Scherr's, Barker's, and am still unsure what to do. I have gotten door samples from Scherr's, Barker's and Unfinished Cabinets and they all seem like a good solid door. All use plywood and not mdf for boxes. This weekend I found a local-ish person who makes cabinets. His price was good and he will stain or paint. I make the assumption that handmade cabinetry is better than purchased, but not a lot of reviews of his work online so maybe that isn't correct. And, how do I know the paint finish will be good? He uses Valspar lacquer.

Background: We have every other repair to make on this house (new roof, new siding, structural, plumbing, all new HVAC system, flooring, etc....so we really don't have a lot of money to put into a remodel in the kitchen). We will be doing quartz countertops and just want nice looking, well made cabinets. I despise chipping and flaking more than anything. Any tips on good brands, finishes or preferred cabinetry? TIA

Comments (22)