SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Yet another crown and base mouldings question

canishel
11 years ago

The previous crown moulding question helped me to ask these questions.

My house is mid-1970s traditional (I guess, since it's not contemporary). A first floor addition was built a few years ago. The addition has a 9 ft ceiling in the bedroom and is joined to the old house with an 8 ft entry room (for lack of a better term, it's not a foyer). Both rooms have 5 1/4 in. base moulding and 4 5/8 in. crown, stained a medium dark. I like the look.

I want to change the narrow base moulding in the old living/dining rooms so that it is the same as the new part and the kitchen. The floors of new part and the kitchen are about 3/4 in. lower than the living and dining rooms because of an extra layer of plywood under the hardwood in the living and dining rooms. So I would like to cut the 5 1/4 in base to about 4 1/2 in. for height continuity with the mouldings in both the new part and the kitchen. There are no doors to separate the areas, only wood-framed openings (the bedroom does have a door). That is, from various points in the living room, one can see the dining room, or the kitchen, or the entry room. Do you think cutting the base so that the tops of the mouldings are at the same height is a good idea?

A harder question concerns crown molding. I'm thinking about adding crown moulding in the living and dining rooms (each has an 8 ft. ceiling) for continuity, but I'm concerned with crown:base ratios and having too much wood. All woodwork in the house is stained a medium dark. Walls are off-white and ceiling is white. The living room has two floor-to-ceiling bookcases, stained dark. The living room also has a stone fireplace that goes to the ceiling. The crown here would hide the paint mess where the ceiling meets the mortar. I would stain the crown to match everything else. Should I use the same 4 5/8 in. or change to 3 5/8 in. crown? Or should I just forget about adding crown?

I don't want to have crown moulding in the kitchen since the cabinets go to the ceiling and I think the stains and the crown designs would clash.

I've been thinking and doing searches about moulding for two years and still haven't made any decisions. I really need your advice and suggestions. So thank you all in advance.

Comments (3)