SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Question About Installation Charges for Our Crown Moulding

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

We contracted with our neighbor to install crown molding in our living room, entry, and dining room (all total about 110 linear ft with 11 corners). He has a second business where he does custom woodwork--mostly IKEA kitchen installations. We have been neighbors for 17 years and are on good terms and want to keep it that way.

The job turned out well (better than I thought it would), but it seems this was his first time. Hence he took longer than he estimated and it probably does not look quite as good as someone who does trim full time. It took him a lot of time to get the cuts/corners right and then extra time patching, sanding, etc. due to his technique. When I compare this to how our GC's trim guy did our base and trim last year, they were much quicker and were able to handle long lengths of wood plus do mitered corners--whereas he was not. Also, we did some parts ourselves--purchasing the supplies, paint, etc plus helping to hold some of the pieces while he nailed.

He gave me the invoice this AM and the billed amount was just as we had agreed upfront; however, he also listed his hours worked which were more than double what he charged us for. Now we are wondering what is the fair thing to do?

We did not get other bids for this job so I have nothing to compare it to. He charged us for 26-1/2 hours labor at $30/hour for a total of $795 labor cost; yet his actuals were 51-1/2 hours. Do we pay just the invoce amount and chalk up the extra hours due to his learning curve and now he has learned a new skill he can in turn offer to other customers or pay him an amount that is more commensurate with the cost of a typical crown install (whatever that is)?

Comments (17)