I'm sure I can do it, but I don't know how---a computer type question

Jasdip

I have 3 cd's that are home-burned of music that I want to store on my computer so I can have Alexa play them.

I thought I could right-click and it would save all the songs but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Of course the down-side of having music on my computer is that my computer has to be on. I thought I could play my music folder from my Alexa app on my phone, but I can't.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob333 (zone 7a)

Don't quote me on it, as I don't own Alexa or have tried, but this seemed logical.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3257787/how-to-play-music-you-own-on-an-amazon-echo.html

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The easiest way for you is to download iTunes, start it up, put the CD into the drive, and I tunes will automatically "rip" it and store it on the pc. Use iTunes to play it

Save    
Jasdip

Well, again this wonderful group came through again. I was 'today' old when I knew that iTunes was for everyone. I thought it was strictly an Apple product, for Apple users.

Thanks Elmer, I downloaded it, and will play with my cd's tomorrow.

Rob, I'll look through your link tomorrow as well. I'm thinking I can just add iTunes to my music list on my Sonos speaker (which has built-in Alexa)

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If you have the Sonos software running on your PC, and add it if you don't, you can point the it to the folder where the ripped music is contained and it can be used as the means to send it to your speaker.

Save    
nickel_kg

^ what Elmer describes is what we do, except we use Mac/Itunes not PC. It shows up on Sonos as "Music Library", with automatic subcategories of: artists, albums, composers, genres, songs, imported playlists, and folders.

For an actual music library, I loved Foobar -- so versatile. It didn't used to have a Mac option, but now it does.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Sonos doesn't care between a Mac and a Windows PC. Neither does iTunes. Both work fine on both. I believe you can point Sonos to an iTunes library or, easier, just to the top level folder when music is contained.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Inside Houzz Inside Houzz: Updates to the Houzz App for iPhone and iPad
By Houzz
With a redesign and new features, the Houzz app is better than ever
Full Story