SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vannie_gw

I'm having some trouble and don't know

vannie
13 years ago

enough to know what's going on. I cannot turn my computer off the correct way--I have to turn it off w/ that button up at the top that I turn it on with. This computer's 3 years old and I've never had this happen. If I want to go from one forum to another, I have to turn it off and re-boot it and everything's fine, until I try to navigate somewhere else.

I took it to my computer guy and he said I had too many programs running at once and went in and deleted some stuff, plus, replaced some wires. But, he was able to turn it off correctly. Of course, I get it home and we're back to square one. Any ideas out there? I spent $70. and if I have to spend much more I'd rather just get a new one. Anybody have a suggestion for me?

Comments (7)

• owbist
    13 years ago

This seems like more than one problem. First you cannot turn off using the normal method of clicking Start/Shut down. Second you seem to indicate that once online you are unable to navigate from one web site to another. That about where you are?

Can you enlarge on "went in and deleted some stuff, plus, replaced some wires". Were these whole programs or merely startup entries? Which wires and why did he feel the need to replace those? $70 for a visit to a tech is not too expensive so don't feel cheated there.

What operating system are you using?
    What browser are you using to get online? Assuming it is Internet Explorer what version? You might try installing Chrome, Firefox or Opera and see if getting around online i,proves the situation. Installing any one of these will have no affect on IE.

• genes
    13 years ago

Are you running an up to date antivirus program like Nortons, McAfee, AVG etc and still getting updates.
    Could you let us know what brand/model of computer you have...was there any upgrades to it, like more RAM (memory) since you bought it

• vannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's an Acer and I've had it 3 years. It shut down correctly earlier today, but when I clicked on start, and then on shut down one of those signs popped up about the computer would shut down automatically after installing some updates. It did it correctly then, but when I haven't gotten that notice, it won't shut down. I'm doing okay tonight--so far, but I haven't tried shutting it down yet.

• genes
    13 years ago

Could you answer my questions please

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 5 /c "shutting down - GoodBye!"

Assuming at 3 yrs old its Vista, right click your desktop and choose New.. Shortcut. Paste that in,, Next.. name it ShutDown.

You now have a link on your desktop that will normally force a shut down. You can change that 5, which is five second delay to anything you like but best to keep a few seconds so normal things do have some chance to close.

• vannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

to genes, yes and yes. I get that notice that says "this program is not responding, etc. It locks up a lot and I can get around from one site to another but I have to shut down and re-boot and go from there. I can't click the red x up there and have anything happen.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

download and run malwarebytes update it before you run the scan.

You need to be specific and answer the questions asked for any of us to be of assistance. With out the info we request it makes it all a guessing game. Owbist asked you several questions.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware