SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_882452772

Vapor barrier in basement ?

Laina Dee
3 years ago

I‘m new to carpentry and new to building science but I need some advice.

A family member is a master carpenter and has built many homes in his life, when my spouse and I decided to remodel our basement last year, for some reason beyond what I can comprehend, he suggested to put a vapor barrier on BOTH sides of the wall. In a basement. Ugh. Now, this happened before I knew anything about anything and I didn’t think anything of it. My spouse is not a carpenter and listened to this family members advice because hey he’s built houses and they’ve never had problems! I know that in the 80s people loved their vapor barriers. Now that I am aware of all the issues that they can cause I’m mostly trying to figure out if this will cause major problems sooner than later. The drywall is already up and its been mudded and taped by my spouse who’s worked so hard on this. As much as I do not want to tear everything out and really piss him off, my conscience is telling me this is a terrible situation.

Our house has it’s fair share of air leaks, I haven’t done a blower door test but I just know there’s a lot of air movement. We do not have any water issues in our basement, we did when we first moved in and we sealed everything up that was causing issues (cracks, old windows) and made sure they were sealed before we remodeled. We run a dehumidifier downstairs 24/7. My big question is if there is a dehumidifier always running (humidity is never above 50%), our house is leaky, the vapor barrier isn’t sealed well (don’t ask - I just know it isn’t taped!) and there’s air movement in the floor joists - is this going to cause mold?

Thanks for reading.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH