SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnpaul_cecala

Need helping picking colors to paint out house

John Tiramino
3 years ago

The first photo is the current color. I have added a few options but feel free to suggest new colors!

grey and white
naval and white
black and grey
naval
white

Comments (41)

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

A lot depends on whether you want the house to appear wider or taller. All one color, as in the white, raises the roof. Color in the shutters would keep all white from being bland.

However, I would look around the neighborhood. If more than 30% of the houses are white, then pick a different color.

My second choice is the gray and I would paint the shutters a pale sea blue to be a transition between the gray and white.

• Sheila Rowan
    3 years ago

Does the brick continue around the sides of the house? If so, you might want to leave it natural color for lower maintenance. In that case, consider a creamy white for the upper shingles, and either a bright color of your choice (turquoise?) or a woody brown for the shutters and trim. A two-tone treatment certainly makes the proportions of the house look more generous. Also, how about beefing up the landscaping; it will make your new paint job look twice as good!

• Related Discussions

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

Looking more closely, I see a white house behind yours, in which case, I like Sheila Rowan's suggestion. Just make sure your house isn't so white it blends with the neighboring house.

I see that in all your choices you have chosen to paint the brick. Be sure to research the pros and cons of painting brick before you decide. It will require more upkeep than the beige color it is now.

If you want to minimize the brick, another choice might be to pick a color close to the existing brick color. This would make the facade uniform, the house look taller, less wide. Contrasting color could highlight the shutters and trim. It could be bright as in red or burnt orange or teal or turquoise.

For me, it's the trim and door colors that make any house stand out from the rest as interesting in an inviting way. Unless, of course, your goal is for the house to fade into the background, hiding in plain sight.

What is your goal?

Why do you want to change the color?

Will it be extra work or difficult to make the dark brown siding lighter?

• dee_mckervey
    3 years ago

I agree with Kathleen to keep the house color a slight contrast to the brick color and use color in the trim. The two tones cut the house in two in a strange way - to me anyway- lol!

• janzian
    2 years ago

A home looks more grounded if the darker colors are at the base, and progress up to lighter colors. Windows have more depth if the sashes are painted the darkest. I would choose a color just lighter than the brick for your siding, and a gray sash and fascia. Try a light persimmon colored door with that.

• Lorri Lewis
    2 years ago

By all means, paint the brick and paint the top the same color. It's more cohesive. Research ways to paint brick. Sarah Richardson (the designer) had a brick house painted with some amazing stuff that bonds with the brick and won't come off. You can find it on her YouTube channel. It was a midcentury house they painted charcoal.

• Maryann Agueci
    2 years ago

You can have the brick stained and won’t have to worry about maintenance or paintenance. Grey for the whole house, shutters and wrought iron window boxes would be lovey

• lazidazi
    2 years ago

None of the color choices you have given are suitable.

The main issue to understand is that the brick, being the *base* of the house, should be darker than the siding.

Start with that theme in mind then come up with different color options.

Consider Not painting the brick. What's Wrong with it? Do you hate the color? Painting it will eventually need a do-over, whereas the original brick may need a cleaning now and again, but that's all. Once you paint brick, you are stuck with additional maintenance. Bad choice in my view.

• Katho
    2 years ago

I would leave the brick alone as well. When unpainted, it adds texture but becomes flat once it’s painted. When I recently had my house restained (which has brick on the front), I chose a darker shade in the brick for the siding and a lighter shade in it for the trim. But then, I like the calming effect and timeless look of neutrals. It depends on the look you’re going for. In any case, using a color that’s darker than the brick does make the house look a bit lopsided.

• Katho
    2 years ago

One other thought: It looks as though your shingles are the same color as the brick. Unless you’re planning to reroof your house as well, I would definitely stay in a color family that blends with the roof (and brick). I’m always puzzled when people change the color of their siding without regard to the roof color. When we build, we choose roof colors that blend with or complement the house color vs. some random shingle color; that’s why there are so many to choose from. So why ignore the roof color later on?

• kimberlake
    2 years ago

Would need to see your roof color first.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I would remove your shutters. They are not appropriate for your windows or the modern feeling of your home. And then consider painting your siding (NOT your brick), something in the cream to light brown color of your bricks, tying into your roof colors as Katho says. Where is your front door? Is there other brick like this on the rest of the facade of your home? (Perhaps a long brick planter (which was typical in the 1950s?). What color is your front door? Can tie it all together with a rusty orange or sage green front door. I like your brick color and would NOT paint it.

• Lee DOden
    2 years ago

I think instead of the shutters you might want to try the awnings that are being used on houses a lot now. Most look like they have the standing seam metal roof...just on the awnings...in a complementary or bolder accent color..depending on what color u decide to do the house...these little awnings are made with wood..kind of a chunky...cedar colored brackets to hold up the awning...or even wrought iron...my daughter just got one on her only window facing the street and it is beautiful!!! Just a thought. If I can find a good pic I’ll try to post it.

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

Whatever color you choose, paint the house ALL THE SAME COLOR !! Two toned just makes the windows look smaller and "chopped off". If it's in your budget, I would consider cutting away the brick below the windows and installing new larger windows. If it's not in the budget, consider placing planter boxes below the windows to enhance the house that will make the windows look larger (longer).

• Ann Tavilla
    2 years ago

What app did you use to try out the different colors? I’ve been searching for one Forever!!

• Juliann Vann
    2 years ago

If you cannot increase the height of the windows significantly, then I would consider making faux lower half windows below the existing windows and incorporate different shutters to camouflage the design adaptation....the goal being to present the appearance of larger windows.

• Jean Bretey
    2 years ago

Yes, I agree. Either don't paint the brick or paint the base darker or one color. The lighter colors at the bottom stops it from being grounded. I used the color visualizer provided by the paint company and it was nothing this good. Please share which one you used.

• Kathleen Marineau
    2 years ago

For those wondering about the existing roof color, look at the garage roof.

Taking other comments into mind, I suggest finding a balance between the brick and the shingles, maybe Valspar (a subsidiary of Sherwin Williams) 3006-10A Prarie Dance.

Then pick a highlight color for the fascia trim and window area. You could go warm, such as SW 6884 Obstinate Orange, if you want to stick to an earthy vibe, or get one of the new brights, such as PPGs Aqua Fiesta PPG1147-4.

Repainting trim is not a big job (yes I've done it myself, more than once), so this is where you can be brave.

• Lizabeth Gray
    2 years ago

Don't paint the brick. Pull the color from the brick then kick it up a few shades. What would really change the place up is some good landscaping.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Keep the brick for color and texture. Go many shades lighter for the small amount of siding you have. Remove the shutters. Focus on landscaping. None of your choices look great.

Here's a golden taupe that look great with yellow brick:

Outdoor Living · More Info

Pale, pale gray

Lightest golden taupe from brick.

Wheaton, IL James Hardie Siding & Trim · More Info

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Don't know if you dig any of the suggestions, but please keep in mind your roof color when choosing siding. Please provide more photos of the entire house. You've just showed us one piece.

• Beth G
    2 years ago

Don't paint brick! Once you paint the brick, keep in mind that you'll always have to keep on painting it. Why cause more maintenance problems for yourself? The tan brick is a quality, beautiful material-- keep it. I'd choose a lighter value for the wood siding above the brick: it's the dark color siding over lighter brick base that makes the house appear unbalanced/ top-heavy. I'd go for a cream color or pale warm yellow for the siding and some trim in a greyish blue-green or cheerful soft red/terracotta color for interest. Plus, that horizontal band of tan brick is a cool mid-century Modern stylistic element: painting the house all one color would obscure this handsome architectural feature. Also, pay attention to what exposure the front of your house faces: if the house faces north, the colors will always look darker and more gloomy/drab than they do on the paint chip-- so go lighter. Sorry, I don't think any of your choices above are appealing.

• lazidazi
    2 years ago

@ Remy Paul, where are you? Nearly two weeks since you posted and two dozen suggestions given, yet no feedback from you.

• Dixie
    2 years ago

I just love a White House. We purchased my husband’s family home when his dad passed away in 2014. It had pink stucco made to look like brick. After 3 years owing the pink house... I had it painted white! Of course the color depends on the house & its location... but I do love a White House! But then... there our vacation home n a national forest which went from white to chocolate brown... and that’s what I mean about location... your house..it’s white for me!

• Katho
    2 years ago

@Lee DOden, please post a photo of the awning if you can. I removed shutters from my garage windows and need something to give them some style, as they look very small now.

• Katho
    2 years ago

@Jean Bretey, try this paint simulator: https://certapro.com. It may be the same one.

• ohmiss2u
    2 years ago

Katho-thanks so much for the paint simulator link! It may take me awhile to figure out, but Most appreciate!

• abb_ann
    2 years ago

White or a neutral that matches the roof and brick. Brick unpainted, remove shutters. Hire a great landscaper that can provide balance and depth for the Whole front yard. It will be beautiful

• Rosalee Gillespie
    2 years ago

I think a nice pale green, yellow, cream, blue or teal on the top. I would keep the brick - I think it’s lovely. For the windows, if you paint white trim, but I would add a cornice. I think it will add some balance.

• Lee DOden
    2 years ago

I guess the color depends on your taste and the roof color somewhat....I think it will look better painted too...top & bottom the same...a nice warm gray or a muted green even..also brown tones might look good. I hope u share when you paint it

• Katho
    2 years ago

Remy Paul! I have an idea. It looks like you’re set on changing the brick, but you have the roof color to contend with. The navy and grays you suggested do not blend with the current roof and most of us warned against painting brick. There is brick stain that would prevent the problems with paint and preserve the color of the mortar to keep the textured look. You could tone down the orange-y roof with a black/brown brick stain and a neutral stain on the siding that leans more toward taupe than creamy yellow. Here are some suggested colors; the small inset shows staining brick, before and after. That’s my final two cents and I’ll be quiet now.

• Katho
    2 years ago

Image that goes with previous comment.

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

@Katho, How do you know what the roof color is? The photo doesn't show the roof and I can't see where the author answered or made any comments about that. Also, I'm confused about the photo. Is this the front of the house or the side of the garage? That would be an important thing to know.

• Katho
    2 years ago

@judygilpin, you can see a tiny section of the roof at the far right of the photo. I guessed at what the shingles actually look like, but I think the colors are fairly close. My original photo is neither the front nor the side of the home but simply a color board of sorts to show various shades of brick stain and a contrasting color of paint/stain for the siding that would blend nicely with the roof (shown at the top) and one of the various colors of stained brick (at the bottom). The inset with the small picture of brick is there to illustrate an example of what you can do with brick stain that keeps the mortar exposed for a natural brick look. This was simply a suggestion that could accomplish 1) an updated color scheme, 2) getting the bottom dark and the top light, 3) not having to replace a roof that no longer blends with the home, and 4) an alternative to painting over the brick. Sent only as an option perhaps not considered.

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

@Katho, So this obviously is an "L" shaped house. Too bad there's not a photo of the entry.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

So, the OP is AWOL. This is one of those incomplete postings without enough photos that asks Commentors to approve what OP has already decided. He/she hasn't shown entrance, setting, or anything wider to make informed suggestions. Not taking roof color into account could result in a mish mash of different colors. The section of roof in the photo harmonizes with the brick. In any case, OP hasn't come back with more visual information.

• lazidazi
    2 years ago

housegal200 is correct; I made the same point four days ago. Post author hasn't given us the courtesy of revisiting their own post. EVERYONE should quit wasting their time with this post. @Remy Paul

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

@lazidazi, I agree....there hasn't been one comment or additional info made by the author or any additional photos of this house posted.

• ohmiss2u
    2 years ago

Well, I never had any suggestions for this person who posted, but for all of those who commented, & posted pictures & even specific paint numbers, let me just say that I greatly appreciated all your information! I did manage to find a paint visualizer that works pretty well-except i still get stuck on the ‘editing/drawing’ part...lol...but for the record, all of your posts I thought were extremely helpful! Sorry the original poster never came back...I am new to Houzz & am not at all good at decorating. So I enjoy reading most all of ‘other people’s’ dilemmas...I have so many!! 😳
    But Someone out there appreciates all of your feedback!! 🤗

• PRO
    Veruschka Wanderley
    2 years ago

I would do all gray with black shutters and white trim. I am also new to Houzz and just about to start building up my profile.