SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_tse

To cap or not to cap a heating outlet inside a drop-in bath tub cavity

Kim Tse
3 years ago

Hello,

I seem to be encountering a somewhat strange/unique scenario in my bathroom renovation.

I am currently turning two bathrooms into one and am locating a bathtub by an exterior wall under a window. There is heating outlet under the window and my contractor is currently advising me to let him keep the heating vent uncapped so that the heat can get inside the drop-in bathtub cavity to keep the pipes warm. This sounds like a great idea, but the contractor is also not going to allow the warm air to vent out of the bathtub cavity as he doesn't recommend installing another vent on the side of the tub or in the floor around the tub (I am having the floor around the tub tiled as there is a shower right next to the tub) which also makes sense.

My concern is that the warm air that is going into the drop-in bathtub cavity is going to stay trapped inside and allow moisture to build up. I haven't come across this before and don't know the words to search for what this scenario is.

Should I just have the contractor cap the vent if I am worried about the humidity building up inside the tub cavity? Or should I let my contractor keep doing what he is doing and let hot air go in the tub cavity without any intentional vent out?

Very much appreciate the help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor