SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Random rose groupings I neither designed nor planted...

jacqueline9CA
3 years ago

On another thread, someone asked me if I plan groups of roses to go with each other. The answer is no, but I am very lucky - there are areas of our garden (as in the pic below) where not only did I not design the groupings, I did not plant them either! Every rose in the picture below was here when we moved in 32 years ago. They were planted by several generations of my DH's family, or they are rootstock from the roses they planted. I have all I could do just to get them identified. All six roses in this picture are what I think of as "family antiques", and they arranged themselves, doing a much better job than I could have ever done on purpose!

From left to right, they are:

Eugene de Beauharnais (red/burgundy)

White rose - I used to think this was Fortuniana rootstock, but it does not look like the pics on HMF - any thoughts? All of the white roses in this pic are from one bush.

Dawson's Apple Blossom - pink rambler

Cramoisi Superior (red china) it is also climbing up to the top of this mass, (holding it all up is a flowering crab apple tree) but on the other side where you can't see it

Safrano (in the distance on the right)

Madame Joseph Schwartz (further on the right) white, also half of it is pink because it is sporting back to Duchesse de Brabant

I like the designs the roses come up with much better than any I could devise!

Jackie

Comments (48)