SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

I need advice about my grocery store roses

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I bought several pots that were marked down to $0.25 (!!!) repotted each pot as a group into better pots, and the survivors (lost one or two out of each pot) have done very well through the rest of summer. I am particularly delighted with a creamy white one and a mini yellow - photos of my last bouquet before the predicted freeze last week.

However, since I don't know what roses they are, nor their hardiness, I am concerned about keeping them through the winter. Grocery roses have never thrived in my beds, although they survive, which is why I would rather keep them in the pots.

I could try sinking the pots into the ground, and perhaps covering with a styrofoam box; putting them into a window well behind the boxwood (but would the pots still need to be surrounded with something, gravel perhaps?) or into the unheated, not insulated garage - but I have concerns about how much and when to water (and would I remember to do it often enough) and would they need some other protection like some wrap.

I overwinter two figs in that garage but never water them while they are dormant.

What is your experience or recommendation? Here in Columbus OH winters can be reasonably moderate (lows hitting zero or just about, highs 20s-30s for only a couple of weeks) or worse (with lows in the 10-15 below and highs in the teens - but not more than 1-2 weeks of that total, usually) No reliable snow cover here.

Comments (5)