SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Growing blueberries

Lynn Nevins
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all. I've had potted blueberry shrubs in very large pots, for a few years now. They have been doing well, all these years.

More recently, the shrubs were getting too big for my small balcony, so I had to move them up to our 4th floor rooftop. (I periodically have to remove them from the balcony when the building owner has to do work on the roof...)

Anyway, last year, while they were up on the (white-painted) rooftop, I had them behind the elevated rooftop stairwell/egress. So while they were getting strong indirect light on the roof, they also got a bit of 'cover' from the wall of the stairwell/egress to the roof. They also did well last year, up on the rooftop, and in that location.

It was only very recently that I moved my two plants back up to the roof. When I moved them a few weeks ago, they were looking very good....all new green leaves, and the start of the flowers all over the shrubs.

However, because the landlord no longer wants anything on the rooftop FLOOR, I had to put the pots up on elevated beams of sort, on the rooftop. I then tightly secured the pots to the beams, so they won't fall over in the wind. But now that they are on the beams, they are no longer shielded at all by the stairwell/egress wall. So they are in full sun all day, on a 4th floor rooftop.

It had probably been about two days since they were watered. When I went up today, I was struck by the fact that the green color of the leaves was no longer a deep rich, 'new leaf' shade of green. They looked a bit 'washed out' or lighter in color. I was also struck by the fact that...the leaves were also showing tinges of pink/red, similar to how they might do in the FALL.

I can't imagine that my simply not watering them for the past two days would have caused the leaves to suddenly 'turn' like that.

Is it possible that their being in full sun on a 4th floor rooftop really isn't good for blueberry shrubs? Maybe all that sun is what really caused the leaves to turn like that? Maybe I need to see if I can possibly move them back behind the egress, where they were last year?

Thanks!

Comments (9)