Live Eagle Camera...feeding and raising

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Ive been enjoying this and checking in once a day to follow the progress...the feeding patterns...... link HERE

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

I've watched this one for years....
One nest has birdies and another is waiting for a hatch...w.ell maybe by now they have chicks too.
https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/decorah-eagles

Save    

Thanks for the extra links.

What amazes me is their ability to lift up their rears and shoot out and over the edge of the nest. Such young chicks. Seem to be born potty trained. (screen grab)

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I love watching them.

I have a nesting pair of Sharp Shinned hawks in a tree about 30 yards from my house. This is the second year they've nested in the same tree. I think the eggs were laid about a week ago so they probably won't hatched until around May 1.

The chicks are a riot when just learning to fly. They don't have much stamina and will crash land just about anywhere when they run out of gas.

Save    

One of the best things about Spring. Forsythia and my big ornamental cherry tree is blooming oven the kitchen deck. Daffodils, crocus...

My hummingbird feeders are clean and ready. Woodpeckers are loud and pecking.

Sneezing more than ever from the early pollen. Don't mind at all.

Odd that I have video of a puffin colony just off the coast. Small rocky island about the size of a two story million home in suburban NJ. They shoot their poop straight to the rock island rather than the ocean. Hmmm. Wonder why. It has dried on the rocks so the entire island is near white over the years. Reflects the summer hot sun?

Birds have one shoot, so the urine is the white crystalized with the poo being the brown tiny terd. Comes out at the same time.

Nature is an endless journey of knowledge and fascination.

Good friends are commercial fishermen. Amazing trips out with them. They were on a Canadian version of DeadliestCatch I've not seen. DH goes green but does not bother me.

Save    
olychick

A couple of weeks ago I stayed at an AirBnB on Puget Sound. There was a saltwater marsh on one side and the Sound in front so there was a plethora of fabulous birds and wonderful bird watching. The most amazing thing we saw was a Bald Eagle take a gull (we didn't see if from the air or the sea) and they were both in the water. The eagle could not lift it from the water, so was swimming to shore pulling the gull. The eagle was then able to get in a position to fly with the gull and flew off to the nest with breakfast.

Save    
nancyofnc

So are eagles edible?

Save    

They fish and poop just like us, 😂.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

nancyofnc they are scavengers, just like vultures. Would you want to eat one? Also.....National bird, so.....NO.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Oh yeah, thanks for the link, sleeve. On my favorites!

Save    
nancyofnc

Joking - wouldn't even consider eating wild birds let alone protected species.

Save    
olychick

I was looking at the webcam and reading the comments below. Someone posted a great video they took of one of the adults as it left the nest and had an encounter with a fox...

Save    

Eagles are no longer endangered but very protected. It was DDT that caused the egg shells to be so thin the chicks did not survive. And they were hunted.

Shore birds that are hunted like Turr, aka Murre, and Puffins have an odd flavor. I'm convinced it is the diet of all seafood. Mostly small sand eels and capelin...similar to anchovies. Like that dark, almost black, 1/2 inch to inch sometimes found in a tuna steak. Like a braised beef, liver, hints of sea life. Turr needs a long braise, then shreds like pulled pork. But tastes a bit like liver. Often used in a winter pastry pie with lots of potato and peas/carrots and the braising liquid as a gravy. That was 20 yrs ago when we were gifted this delicacy before I knew what I was consuming. Beautiful birds, the Turr. Like little penguins. A million and a half nesting pairs and not declining but more of a winter sport now. 50 and more years ago it was a winter food source. Little wing span so they take off from a floating water position, then skirt along fast, close to the water, not a flight. Hence the 'sport'.

We actually do not care much for duck or geese unless in the hands of a great chef. Not yet said, "I crave a duck breast!", like I do for salmon or collards, artichoke....any number of things. Shake Shack, lol.

Dad sent this one. A hummingbird nest built on a string of Christmas lights. 😳...feedings seem to be about every 10-20 minutes.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Homes Houzz Tour: Sustainable, Comfy Living in 196 Square Feet
Solar panels, ship-inspired features and minimal possessions make this tiny Washington home kind to the earth and cozy for the owners
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Butterfly Gardening: Delight the Eyes With Living Sculptures
Surprise and thrill with a garden that attracts magical winged creatures, bringing color, movement and life
Full Story
Life How to Get Along With the Neighbors — and Live Happier at Home
Everyone wins when neighbors treat one another with kindness, consideration and respect
Full Story