SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_burns97

HELP! Remodeling kitchen (removing a wall) Unsure of the best layout

Laura Burns
3 years ago

We're planning a remodel of our kitchen and are at a loss for how to redesign this space with increased storage and counter space, as well as good function. We have plans to remove the wall that divides the kitchen and living/dining. We had a kitchen designer in, who measured and produce some beautiful ideas for us. Two designs were offered with wall gone:

Design #1 had a 112" long x approx 36" wide island running north/south through the kitchen and crossing into what is now the dining space, with a cook top on the island, no seating on the island, and fridge placed where the stove is in the picture.

Design #2 also had a 112" long x 36 wide island running north/south, except there was seating on the east side of island, and the stove remained in the same place - fridge was sandwiched between the side door and the dining room window.

The problem I had with both ideas is that the wall on the east becomes just wall space, no use, no function. My biggest issue with design 1 is the cooktop on the narrow island - i have a toddler and having the cooktop right in the middle freaks me out, plus there would be no upper cupboard space, or a range hood, or even an over-range-microwave. A range hood hanging dead center in the ceiling above the island would look funny to me.

This little diagram is a basic mock up of the kitchen and living/dining area as it presently is, with the wall still in place. I'll call the top wall, where the stove is, the north wall (even though it actually faces west) because it's simpler that way. (The fridge is on the right, the sink on the left with the dishwasher beside it). This is a small and narrow area to work with. I really want the wall gone as the afternoon/evening light is beautiful. I don't want it to look like a bowling alley *lol*.

Comments (8)