SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

How far to plant maple trees from 6' fence?

pricklypearcactus
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am looking to plant some maple trees in a corner of my back yard which is surrounded by a 6' fence. I live in a suburb of Salt Lake City, UT (6a - I think). I am looking at maples and I've had luck at a previous home with Autumn Flame variety (recommended by a local plant nursery). On the other side of the fences are two neighbor's back yards. Both neighbors have Flowering Pear and Swedish Aspen trees planted close to the fence line (about 1-1.5 ft from the fence), which I don't mind at all. One neighbor also has a pine tree planted near the fence line. The lots are only about 1/5 of an acre. Is 3-4 feet from the fence line too close for the tree to grow well and to be respectful of my neighbors yards?

I also welcome other tree recommendations. The space previously had a huge 60' cottonwood tree that came down in a huge windstorm last year (and luckily just missed our house). It was planted by the previous owner and was probably 8 ft from the fence. There were also 3 or 4 small aspen trees that came down when we pulled out the stump planted closer to the fence line. I really miss the beautiful shade and sound of the leaves and would love to get new trees started this spring.

Comments (17)