Post your "old photos"

rob333 (zone 7a)

It's been done before, and I never really have anything. My ex-fiance's current wife sent me pictures. Talk about another lifetime ago... This is my mom probably right about the age I am now.

SaveComment56Like19
Comments (56)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lucille

Me at my grandparent's house in the summer, holding a frog I had caught at the brook (safely released back to the brook after the photo).

21 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

My baby picture.

24 Likes Save    
Cherryfizz

My Great Grandfather was from a long line of Hat Manufacturer's in Hooley Hill, Audenshaw, England. My Great Grandfather at the back, my Grandfather on the left looking down at a hat. Other men are his Uncles. I think the picture was taken around 1910 or a bit earlier.

24 Likes Save    
bob_cville

My maternal grandmother

From the caption the second one here is my maternal grandmother

My parents early in their life together.

25 Likes Save    
Lars

Family portrait from 1940. My father is in this photo, and he was 16 at the time, second row from the top, third from the left. Photo was taken at my grandfather's sister's house.

21 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Maternal grandparents. Date unknown.

22 Likes Save    
Jasdip

My Nan and Grandpa

19 Likes Save    
Jasdip

And me. I'm in here somewhere in this one-room school.

17 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I lost all of my photos in the flood following Hurricane Harvey. I like to make that distinction, because the hurricane actually did no damage. It went inland, turned around and stalled out....the resulting rain, over 50 inches is what caused the flooding where we lived. Anyway, these are on FB, so I have them. You may have seen them before.

This is my dad and I made in one of those photo booths, February, 1958. I was 11 yrs old and he was 54. We were attending the Houston Livestock Show.

This is me and a friend's son, made in 1979. Hard to imagine he is a grandfather now. I was 33 yrs old. He was 12.

This is Jody when he was 16. The year we started dating. His parents were dead and he was on his own for the most part. He quit school and bought a shrimp boat. He had started running a boat in the summers when he was 14. (He was old beyond his years).

32 Likes Save    
Michele

Really great photos. Treasures.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Two from 1929. My DH's paternal grandmother was a teacher in a coal camp. Aunt (her daughter) said her mother got fired from this job because she danced the Charleston on her desk after dismissing school for the year.

19 Likes Save    
Alisande

My paternal grandparents in the 1890s. They were opera singers.

My grandfather's on the right; my grandmother's on the floor. :-)

My dad was an avid photographer, and I'm grateful to have many pictures of my mom. She died when I was 9.

And these were family friends, not relatives, but I think it's amusing how different people dressed for the beach in the 1940s.

20 Likes Save    
maire_cate

My paternal great grandparents who immigrated from Ireland. I wish I knew when and where the photo was taken. They moved around PA following work in the coal mines. Judging from their age I'm guessing this was taken when they lived in Sugar Notch, PA. I found this in my grandmother's photo album after she passed away.

20 Likes Save    
nicole___

My grandmothers passport photo.

17 Likes Save    
Judy Good

My great grandparents. This is John B Riemersma.

18 Likes Save    
stacey_mb

I just love all these photos. Thank you so much to everyone who posted.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

My dad, England 1940

My MIL, Canada 1935

17 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

This was me... I swear I look like a hamster with cheeks full of seeds!

23 Likes Save    
lgmd_gaz

Four of my Dad's siblings are in this 1904 picture. I have no idea who is who. It was a one rom school house next door to where the family lived. Enlarge the pic and look at all those sober faces. How on earth did this teacher manage these 66 kids?

I think I have posted this before... me posing on 'the family cannon', 1942

My Dad's high school graduating class in 1926. He is the first one on the left, middle row.

17 Likes Save    
Michele

Paternal grandparents. They were 19 and 16. Their wedding day

This is a while later. They had four more after this. My father is the blond haired little one in the middle

Here’s my maternal side. That’s my mom in front with the flower.

Here’s my mom after they settled in NYC. My oldest brother was six when he died. I was born about six years after this photo was taken in Central Park.

14 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

My Mom second from left standing on running board.

15 Likes Save    
sjerin

I love looking at all your pictures! Has everyone who posted scanned all their old photos onto the computer? What a big job.

Save    
kanooka

nicole___

I made an attempt to lighten the photo of your Grandmother's passport photo....we can now see a bit of detail....a very distinguished lady..... :))

15 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I love them all. I have a better sense now of why we do this. I'm enjoying sharing your history... I feel more connected to my mom now

Save    
Rusty again

My Mom and Dad, circa early 1920's.

Rusty

15 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

What a handsome couple, Rusty! I enjoy seeing what people wore, how they styled their hair, their surroundings, "way back when". Your folks would fit in today at any dressed up occasion, more than many pictures from a hundred years ago. Interesting.

4 Likes Save    
HU-178658043

My Aunt Mary Lois in the Navy during WWII.

DW being studious, c1957.

My Grandparents' wedding day. c.1915

13 Likes Save    
Alisande

These are all wonderful! Answering Sjerin's question, years ago I invested in a large scanner that handled prints as well as slides and negatives in various sizes, and embarked upon the massive project of digitizing his photographs. A big job indeed, but a labor of love.

Michele, where were your paternal grandparents from? So young--and so many children! I envy those who come from big families (Lars!). And with such blonde parents (my dad had blonde curls like your dad), I will assume you're a blonde. :-)

Rusty, your parents could have stepped out of a novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The elegance of the 1920s!

Save    
Michele

My family is from Bretagne. It’s in NW France. They all came from the same general area. My parents had to learn French in school. My father had very dark wavy hair as an adult. His mom had beautiful red hair. None of her 13 children had it. None of the numerous grandchildren. Two great-granddaughters do. Now with the birth of my own grandson, two GG grandsons are redheads.

I was blond as a child. It darkened in time, especially with my first pregnancy. I have three children.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

lgmd, why is it, whenever I look at class photos like yours, I swear I recognize some of the kids!

1 Like Save    
Ninapearl

my maternal grandparents at their 50th wedding anniversary. i would have been around 10 years old so this was 60ish years ago.

that's me sitting on the floor in the front row, far left.

11 Likes Save    
liira55

My family in 1967 when my parents and three older siblings became Canadian citizens. I’m the youngest with the bun in my hair.

My 3 kids in 1987 and now.

13 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

These are wonderful photos. Enjoying them very much - esp. the stories to go with!

This is me on Christmas day, 1962, my younger sister is in the playpen. It's an old Polaroid, which is why it's so scratchy...

12 Likes Save    
caflowerluver

1961 4th grade class picture

12 Likes Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

My maternal grandparents, 1917; I believe this is their wedding photo. They were from deep in Appalachian KY.

My dad and uncle lived at an orphan home from the ages of 11 and 9 respectively. These are the boys in their cottage with the house mother. The facility is now a residential behavior treatment center, and some of the cottages are still in use (although this one was torn down recently to make room for something else).

13 Likes Save    
roxsol

carol, I received a springy horse for Christmas, too! The first picture is of me sitting on my dad’s lap learning about sharing my presents with my older sister. (Please excuse the exhibitionist doll on the floor)

vvv

This picture is of my sister saying “mission accomplished.”

My dad was a very patient man.

vvvv

12 Likes Save    
jrb451

My Father (lower left) and bomber crew, South Pacific, 1944.

12 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Haha, roxsol - that horse looks more your size than your sister's 😀

And just look at all those handsome young military men!

5 Likes Save    
Ded tired

I love these pictures. Marilyn C, you are gorgeous and Jody was a hunk.,I can see why you fell for him, and he for you.

Heres my mother when she was about 20 and another of my great grandmother holding baby me with my older sister alongside.

13 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Mom and Dad. She was so deliriously happy, but their marriage feel apart very soon. I was 21 months old and my brother was 3 months old when she made the decision to leave him.

10 Likes Save    
joann_fl

That's my Dad, back in the day.

11 Likes Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

My parents on their wedding day in 1942. Ceremony in my maternal grandmother's home. My maternal grandfather grew gladiolus commercially.

13 Likes Save    
lulu bella

Thank you all for sharing. These are just treasures and I have so enjoyed looking at each and every one of them.

1 Like Save    
SEA SEA

How nice see all these family photos. Thank you to all for sharing. So nice.

1 Like Save    
Rusty again

Nickel_kg, thank you.

Allisande, "the elegance of the 1920's", Yes, Chicago, . . . . .the roaring '20s, . . . . .Flappers, . . . . . ..Speakeasies, . . . . . . Prohibition, . . . . . .the Depression,. . . . . .WWII. They experienced it all. Which is why we ended up on a farm in Michigan. My Dad fought in WWI, in Germany, so he was basically unemployable. By 1940 there were three of us kids, and the stories they told of what it took to feed us and keep the family warm in the winter! Dad said he, (a trained architect,) decided to buy a farm and become a farmer so his family would never have to go hungry again.

And we didn’t! We may have been poor, but we always had enough to eat, and we were always warm (enough) in the winter!

Rusty

2 Likes Save    
katlan

My grandfather on my mothers side. PapPap O'Rourke. He was born in 1896. This was his WWI pic. Don't know exact date, some time between 1914-1918.

12 Likes Save    
katlan

My dad on the left and His dad on the right. WWII, both were in it. Taken either 1944 or 1945.

12 Likes Save    
spswash

Taken in Odessa, Russia, around 1890. Little boy in front is my father, handsome man top row, is my grandfather and woman with her arm on my father is his grandmother. Almost all of the descendants bare a striking resemblances - even to this day. The family name is Pinchev.

11 Likes Save    
Alisande

This was taken in the late 1890s. The baby is my dad's cousin Peggy, whom I knew well and loved much later. As a child I used to watch her hook rugs from old woolen clothing, and when she died I inherited her rug hooking equipment, some of which I still use today.

I'd love to know who the woman is. She has those round, light blue eyes I've seen repeated in my family, so I think she must be a Campbell. Peggy's mother was Margaret Campbell, but this woman doesn't look like her. I don't think. And she doesn't look like Margaret's mother, but I'm not 100% certain about that either.

7 Likes Save    
C Marlin

I love these pictures. Of course I don't know the people, but I also love seeing the clothes and background.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Katlan, I have a photo of my great uncle in his WWI uniform. Remember when someone posted that Heritage site where you could animate people in old photos? I tried it with my grt.Uncle's, and it was fascinating! He was one handsome devil. The animation was amazing, almost startling.

Save    
Alisande

Happy to say I found out who the woman is in the portrait with the baby. Not surprisingly, it's Margaret, the baby Peggy's mother. I found a picture of her at a much younger age, and it was clearly the same woman. Same eyes, ears, lips, and that very pronounced dent between the upper lip and the nose. I looked up the name of it this morning, but now I can't remember. :-)

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Philtrum, I believe...

1 Like Save    
Alisande

Carol, you believe right! :-)

It turns out this picture, which I always thought was my great-aunt Margaret, is actually her sister, my great-aunt Anna. The third sister was my paternal grandmother (the singer). They were the daughters of Scottish immigrants. Here's Anna. My dad had her eyes--and so does my middle grandson!

6 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

Wow, what an amazing thread!!! I could look at old pictures all day and never get bored. These are all fantastic!

I have a few to add that I’ve collected:

This is the family in 1966 before my youngest sister was born. My father had just returned from tour in Vietnam and we were celebrating. I’m the one saluting to the camera.

My Great Grandfather in front of the house my grandfather was born in. It’s in Maghera, Ireland.

My Maternal Grandmother along with my Mom, 7.5 months old. New York in 1932

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I know what you mean about old photographs.

I have a shoebox filled with anonymous old photos - some that seem to go back to the 20s, none newer than the 1950s. I bought them many years ago at a flea market. They're fascinating, even though I have no idea who the people are. I always thought I would use them for art projects, but I could never bring myself to cut them up or alter them. I just like looking at them.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Projects What to Do With Old Family Photos
Find out how to research, share and preserve images that offer a connection to the past
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: Who'll Post the First Snow Photo of 2013?
If the weather's been flaky in your neck of the woods, please show us — and share how you stay warm at home
Full Story
Life Share Your Vintage Photos of Your Cool Grandparents
Post an old photo of your grandparents at home. You might see it in an upcoming feature on Houzz
Full Story
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More