SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_765755942

Non-White Kitchen Reveal

HU-765755942
3 years ago

Not your typical kitchen reveal. The home was built in 1943, located in New Orleans, so I wanted to stay somewhat true to the home. I started off installing the hood, while the roof was being replaced, I then replaced the counters with black soapstone and statuary marble, then painted the cabinets sage green in Satin Impervo. Under the cabinet lights, removed the shutters, and door blinds, and stripped every piece of trim.

I used BM Kitchen & Spa on the walls because it’s a durable matte finish. I may paint the grout a warm white and I have swinging door left to paint. The floors are engineered hardwood and may need to be replaced. The top cabinets are original, the bottoms replaced after Katrina.

Comments (103)

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It could be my my other drape design. I know I’ve seen somewhere. I have the drapes in two color ways.

• Helen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Very pretty material. My mother used to make all our curtains. When she died, her best friend spoke at the memorial and reminisced about how meticulous my mother had been when she made some kitchen curtains for her friend - the point being the care she took with even the most mundane type of things like kitchen curtains.

I had fallen in love with De Gournay wallpaper but alas they are beautiful but so beyond my budget that it wasn't even a consideration. I did actually get a quote for my relatively small area. I did some googling and found a Chinese company on Etsy that does handprinted Chinoiserie style wallpaper on silk for a fraction of the cost. So instead of a Maserati of wallpapers I have a nice reliable Honda wallpaper. :-)

ETA - It's a pretty common design theme so there are probably lots of fabric and wallpapers that give off the same style vibes. Mine were drawn by my designer and executed by the ETSY company. Highly recommend the company if anyone is looking for De Gournay style Chinoiserie wallpaper at a reasonable price.

• Related Discussions

White & gray kitchen reveal, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (135)
    The measurement is of the counter, not including the doorway. The cabinet to the left of the hood is 15" and to the cabinet to right of the hood is 27".
    ...See More

Reveal white beach house kitchen

Q

Comments (66)
    The finish and cabinets are holding up great. Have had site painted kitchen cabinets too and there is no comparison on finish durability. No chipping or cracks so far. biggest issue we had was a spaghetti sauce explosion from a guest cook who couldn't figure out the convection cooktop. Everything cleaned up great and there were no residual stains. Glad I sealed the time grout : ) I was worried about inset cabinets being near the water but there hasn't been any issues with expansion/sticking etc good luck with with your renovation. We worked with Ernie at Coventry Lumber-- he was meticulous about the details, measurements etc. I did the basic design work on SketchUp and he made sure it all worked. We were able to save some money by using standard sizes and avoiding custom colors.
    ...See More

pawa's retro kitchen reveal: yellow, marmoleum, wood, and white!

Q

Comments (52)
    Ok, I have to ask...it looks like you stayed with your original sink (which is almost exactly like mine) but your before pics do NOT have a hudee ring. When we did our addition I was adamant that the old sink was going to move into the new kitchen, and we were not able to salvage our hudee ring so we ended up just dropping the sink into the new counter and caulking the heck out of it. I would have liked to keep the ring, for nostalgia's sake, but I am perfectly happy without it as well. So my question is, if you didn't have a ring originally, where did you get yours? Just curious. BTW, your kitchen looks beautiful. :)
    ...See More

Kitchen reveal: navy island and white cabinets

Q

Comments (65)
    My chairs are from a local KC shop: Nell Hill's. Ballard Designs sells a similar chair for a lot more money. They aren't comfortable, though, unfortunately. I love the look, but no one likes to sit in them for very long. I am thinking of having pillows made to behind your back while sitting there.
    ...See More
  • HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, the original designs are very expensive and usually only found at designer websites or Europe. Do you have a link to the Etsy store?

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

stillpitpat do you have link to that back door post? I would love to see pics.

• Helen
    3 years ago

This is the guest bath which has wallpaper from the same company but with a different design. The guest bath is more subdued in terms of design.

The mirror is an old stained glass window I picked up at a thrift shop when I was in college. I had the mirror installed when it was repurposed for the guest bathroom. It holds memories of thrifting and exploring junk shops with my college boyfriend and then my uncle refinished it for me and I used it as a bit of a room divider between open kitchen and living area. And now it is still in my life - with a mirror - and in my guest bath.

• Helen
    3 years ago

The wallpaper came from this Etsy store. The owner was Lily and she was great to work with.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/chinoiseriehomedeco

Now I have a lot of fun spotting the De Gornay style wallpaper in period dramas. Lots of fabulous wallpaper in Bridgerton LOL.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very creative and different. I tried making my guest bedroom an experience, not just your run of the mill guest bedrooms. They are in New Orleans, so why not. Of course I’ve received zero guests since I moved here.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Helen for the link. Now Im trying to find a spot for the mural or wallpaper, LOL.

• Sherry Brighton
    3 years ago

Love your kitchen and I loved that you stayed true to the bones of the house.

• Marci
    3 years ago

This is absolutely gorgeous. I love that the finished kitchen looks like what the house needs, and is not some anodyne kitchen designer’s idea of what is in style. (P.S. if I see another white or gray kitchen...)

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marci, I hear ya. Every time someone asks what shade of white to paint their cabinets, I cringe. There are more colors than white and grey. My kitchen is light and bright, and I didn’t paint the cabinets white. I love natural wood cabinets too, but that’s not the cards for this home.

• stillpitpat
    3 years ago

Helen, where I live, kitchens are at the back of the house, and everyone's garage is separate and on an alley. Even in the mansion district, most don't have attached garages. I mean, they have large fancy coach houses, but they are still not attached to the house, and they still have a back door in the kitchen. Lol. But some here still thought having an exterior door in my kitchen was a huge problem.

OP, I don't remember which thread it was that that came up. I do know that it was a challenge doing a layout in a room with multiple doors, but we use all the doors all the time (to dining room, to basement, and to foyer), and closing any of them would have been a functional problem, even though it would have given us more wall space in the kitchen. I am OK with trade-offs. Did you want to see pix of the finished kitchen or was it the terrible "before" pix you wanted to see? It was sooo bad! Apparently at some point, someone decided to make space for a table to eat in the kitchen, but it's not big enough to be an eat-in kitchen, so we reclaimed that space.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My kitchen is in the back as well. This was the exterior door leading out to the back porch. The porch was converted to a small laundry post Katrina. The door is a heavy metal door. It’s a cheap glass pain detail, which I just painted and left good enough alone. I have two deadbolts, one on this door and the next. I don’t see how it’s any concern to someone else, if you are not concerned.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ll take whatever you have, I’m curious to see this kitchen now, LOL.

• stillpitpat
    3 years ago

Lol. Let me find some pix. I'll tell you now that I used the reviled pickled oak for my lowers b/c that is throughout the entire house. Every door, all the baseboards, and all the door and window trims are pickled oak. It would cost a fortune to strip and stain ,or to replace (the doors and baseboards are rather nice), so we kept it and then decided to embrace it. We even have a Craftsman style floor-to-ceiling built-in linen closet that is pickled oak. Ha!

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow, now I really can’t wait to see. I wish I was better at searching here.

• stillpitpat
    3 years ago

This particular shot is from Christmas. I usually have blue dish towels out and milk glass above the range.

ETA: not sure if this shot posted. I can't see it when I look at the post.

This is the other end of the counter run. Note the mixer I painted last summer. Color!

Idk how it looks on other people's end, but my chromebook doesn't render warm blues well. The floor and backsplash are turquoise, not cornflower or periwinkle. I'm originally from MI, and sometimes it reminds me of blue moon ice cream. So cheerful!! And the oak ties it all in with the rest of the house, even though some elements are modern. Critics be damned! ;)

• stillpitpat
    3 years ago

I love my little beverage center. I have a 6 glass canisters and bottles lined with different washi papers there, holding coffee and medicines, a large blue hobnail sugar bowl, and a small milk glass hobnail bowl with dry erase markers. It's my one "busy" space. The washi papers are all different patterns and colors, and it's a mini riot of color.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow, it’s very European. I love the creamy white and blues with the picked wood. You aren’t in Europe, no?

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, infamous back door. I can see why people were concerned, but again, not their business.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You painted your mixer, I just saw a earlier post. So creative! I want a kitchenaid fridge. I love the clean lines and feel. My fridge is big and starting to break down. Its the first thing you see when you walk into my kitchen, 😒 I’m debating on replacement but worried how it’s going to come out of my home. I don’t want my laundry flooring damaged. This isn’t my forever home either.

• stillpitpat
    3 years ago

I am one mile from the Chicago border, in the heart of FLW country. Lots of Craftsman and Prairie around me, but my house is only a little Craftsman, and not at all Prairie. I surprised myself when I started looking at kitchen pictures because as much as I love dark woods, I was so drawn to the Scandinavian looking airy white and light wood kitchens. I also love two-tone rooms (all our bedrooms are two-tone), so going that route made sense in the kitchen, and I could have the best of both worlds.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice, so European design was inspiration. Your kitchen isn’t hodgepodge or mix of things thrown together like I see in most livable working class euro kitchens. I was in a kitchen in Egypt and it was definitely rustic. Reminded of old New Orleans kitchens, with exception of the dirt floor.

• barncatz
    3 years ago

I remember your kitchen!! Thank you so much for coming back with the reveal. It turned out so gorgeous, which does not surprise me one bit! So happy for you and so thrilled to finally see the dang hood!

Enjoy. You are really talented.

PS. Just read your comment about the backsplash and am rolling!

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you barncatz. I regret deleting all my posts, but oh well. I’m not sensitive by any stretch, but I’m really hesitant posting here now. I get attacked by the same designer each time.

• barncatz
    3 years ago

I love that guest room. The only reason to regret deleting your posts is because of some of the photos you had posted. I went looking for your kitchen thread, I remember, because I wanted to see the final kitchen. Thank you so much for coming back!

It appeared to me that you were getting so many opinions from some well meaning and some belittling posters and I knew you would figure it out.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, yes it took me a long time, but once I had the splash done, everything else was just labor. Yes, I remember one of the first comments was to hack all my trim off and square off the bottom of my top cabinets. LOL.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not sure if you can see this. This is my last dilemma for the kitchen. The grout used was frost, which I think is too cool. I started painting the grout In Biscuit on the right side. I’m not sure.

It’s a subtle change. Here I marked it from here down I painted.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

@HU-7656..., on my screen the difference is subtle but when I enlarge the pic, the grout on the right seems more noticeable than the one on the left. Could be the angle or the lighting but I don't think you want noticeable grout. Trust your eye on this. Frost is cool but if it actually matches the tile, it disappears.

Great looking looking guest room too. Love the bed, especially.

@stillpitpat, your kitchen is lovely! What is your floor?

I love practically every style and always enjoying seeing lovely details in kitchens like these.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m starting to think this too. They spaced my tile way wider than I wanted and of course I started painting this trim color throughout the house, before picking the tile. the trim is 50/50 linen & decorator’s white. Its a older looking white for my old home, and works everywhere else. Maybe I should just re paint the window, bc that’s where the difference is much more noticeable. See, it never ends. LOL

The bed is still being sold at anthropologie.

• Holly Stockley
    3 years ago

Well, we all know I'm the non-white kitchen cheerleader around here. I love every inch of your new kitch. Well done! It's got a delicious vintage vibe with just a hint of English country cottage. <3

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Holy. I was going for a touch European. That’s what I tell myself when I look at my not so perfect tile and paint choices. LOL. One year of debating, but happy with the outcome.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

No such thing as "perfect". :) Remembering this can save us a lot of grief. The other thing that helps me with perspective is reminding myself that there's always more than one way to achieve a great looking room that pleases us. Sometimes, it's just too easy to get lost in the details. The "never ends" thing? I so get it. Lol

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Love the kitchen and the bathroom. The kitchen is reminiscent of elipiz's green kitchen. I love old houses, soapstone, and marble, so I think yours is the perfect combination!

ETA, after I remodeled my kitchen, whenever I showed it to anyone I'd point out all the 'flaws'. One day my brother said, "Stop telling everyone about the bad parts--no one notices them but you." ;)

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL, thanks mama goose. I’m happy, but it looks like I have to repaint the room. Only one week after painting, the paint separating on ceiling and behind fridge. It’s so frustrating because I spent a month of prep. Same thing in the bath, which I’ve fixed multiple times. Dam old houses!

The guest bedroom ceiling is perfect still and no issues in the laundry, which is not climate controlled. I’m a perfectionist as you might have noticed, so I’ll be constantly repairing & repainting both rooms. This paint is like $90 a gallon!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Oh, do you potentially have a water leak above that room? Remember that water can travel horizontally before making its way through a ceiling or down a wall.

In my 80 year old house, every time I have had that kind of paint issue it has been because of a water leak or intrusion (clogged gutters, badly hung gutter, missing caulk around a vent pipe on roof and above a window, popped nail on a shingle, leaking toilet seal, leaking bath fixture ...)

• stillpitpat
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup, thank you! The floor is Marmoleum, suggested here on Houzz. I love it. Very soft underfoot.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

I thought so. Looks great! If we ever redo our kitchen, Marmoleum is what I'm considering.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No water leak, but I’ll check my new ducts to see if they are condensating. I have a new roof and all new ducts. I think it has something to do with AC vent blowing cool air and mixing with warm air.

Or I didn’t clean my ceiling of every speak of sanding dust before painting. I wiped with tack cloths, but maybe i didn’t hit it hard enough. Maybe I should have primed again, before painting.

• chispa
    3 years ago

Your comments and experience is why I have never posted one of my projects here, even though I have been here since the Garden Web days with Spike. The kitchen I remodeled 3+ years ago has stained cabinets, a corner sink and the refrigerator is a bit further than the "experts" here would insist. I had an excellent kitchen designer, but was limited by only having 2 walls and I wasn't moving the corner windows or expanding the space. It was all done with high quality materials, appropriate to the style/size of the home and my realtor friends gave it high marks!

You should trust your instincts and stop doubting yourself ... your kitchen came out great and your guest bedroom is lovely too ... you can hire yourself for the next project! :-)

• Ali Hacha
    3 years ago

This is one of the prettiest kitchens here on Houzz. I have been coming here less and less due to the ubiquitous overexposed white kitchen photos and tiresome expert advice. My pet peeve is when a poster is told to "save up" until it can be done "right". What makes them think they know someone's finances? I have a budget for my kitchen not because I don't have enough money to do more but because that budget is what the kitchen is worth to me. Got lots of other things to spend my money on.

• Missi (4b IA)
    3 years ago

I *love* it! You did a fabulous job w/your redo!

@Ali Hacha I'm right there w/you on the "save up to do it right"-I've been working on cramming the money together for mine for *years*-but sometimes life doesn't go the way we want it. I'm not about to wait until I'm 70.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice. Yes, I’m also tired of the save up comments. The 60-100k estimates the designers throw around on here, scare most into thinking nothing can be done, without a lot of money. Paint is the cheapest update, and makes the biggest impact.

I posted a question on where to stop my backsplash, because my ceiling curves and all I got was your hood is too high. Well actually it isn’t, but people kept making comments how it needs to be lowered.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yep, so over the out of darkness, into light,white cabinet posts or which shade of white should I paint my cabinets, and also which shade of white goes with my white cabinets, white counters and grey flooring. I just proved you don’t need to paint your cabinets white to brighten the space. My cabinets were creamy white and the space was darker than a speakeasy nightclub.

• Helen
    3 years ago

In defense of those who suggest "saving" I think it depends on the context.

Some people don't realize the expense of what they want done. For example, painting cabinets or refacing cabinets is not inexpensive. On the television shows, the hosts make it appear as if it is as simple as slapping a coat of paint on drywall. So perhaps it makes no sense to spend a significant amount of money to "spruce up" when one could hold out and get a better result for not significantly more.

I am not quite sure if it is quite the same thing but there are posts from people with kitchens in good shape but which aren't perhaps au courant and I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money to make purely cosmetic fixes when the functionality is lacking.

Of course everything is context. When I moved into my condo, it was harvest gold formica counters with some kind of greenish brown "wood" doors. The cabinets were solid - the old fashioned kind that are constructed on site but to call them builder grade in terms of appearance would be kind. The ceiling had three fluorescent tubes with the plastic inserts that are fitted into metal grids.

Having a limited budget at that time, I did have the cabinets painted (off site and since they were essential planks of wood the cost wasn't that bad) and replaced the harvest gold formica with formica a bit more to my taste and replaced the sink.

These minor cosmetic changes which were fine - and there the kitchen stayed and I produced many great meals in it. I could have made some minor changes along the way but they would have brought about a cascade of additional fixes that would have been needed. For example, the stove was a Caloric with a second oven above it. To replace the stove not only meant that I would have to deal with new cabinets and other repairs, but some idiot had built the adjacent wood floor so that it "trapped" the stove. To remove the stove would mean dealing with the wood floor which needed to be changed anyway. And so on. It would have been throwing good money after bad because every minor fix produced another. Changing the lighting would be impossible without significant remodeling.

The kitchen truly deteriorated until it was no longer functional OR aesthetic but the time just wasn't ripe for a major remodel - which was what it needed. And then the stars aligned and the time was right 🙏🏻 😇

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve prepped and painted laminate and solid wood cabinets. If prep is done right, the outcome looks the same.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hellen, I had the same with my flooring, I just placed the same left over flooring under the oven, where there was no flooring. I’m confused how it was trapped. How big of a lip did you have to clear to move the stove? What lights could be changed to without a major remodel? Do you not have an attic?

• Helen
    3 years ago

It's moot since I gut remodeled my condo down to the studs - more or less. They had imbedded half of the stove in the wood flooring next to the kitchen. The kitchen floor needed replacement - the wood floor needed replacement throughout my unit. There just wasn't one project that would have made sense to do.

I was just explaining that there might be reasons to not invest money in a kitchen. I did spend moderately when I first moved in which made sense but at a certain point it would have cost a significant amount of money to do anything and it wouldn't have really helped the situation so it made more sense for me to live with it in all its terrible "glory" and wait until I had the ability - both emotional, timing and financial to just completely redo it.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, it was a condo. Yes those are difficult to make any easy changes.

• HU-765755942
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I only painted and updated lighting, but that made a big difference.