Zip Lining. Should I or shouldn't I? Would YOU?

nicole___

My GF wants me to go Zip Lining with her @ The Broadmoor location, here in Colorado Springs. I am terrified of heights, but........I love the outdoors. For ALL of you who have been zip lining.....would this be an enjoyable experience for me? Would I hate the height so much I wouldn't be able to enjoy the experience? Should I try it? Would YOU do it?

Here's a link to the zipline site to see it for yourself

SaveComment54Like
Comments (54)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Nope, not for me, never, no way. I don't like heights either, and no way. I get sick to my stomach just watching film of parachuters jumping from the plane. Nope.

Save     Thanked by nicole___
morz8

That one looks a little high and rocky to me. Although dangling from a zip wouldn't be so much about the height to me as how I would feel at the other end after being strapped on. I have some scoliosis and would hate to commit myself to an all day backache after the short thrill of the ride. 10, or even 5 years ago I would have done it no question.

Our nephew's wife gave him a parachute jump (bucket list) for his 40th birthday. It was videotaped. Made my stomach turn just watching it, I could not have leaped out of that plane.

1 Like Save     Thanked by nicole___
Uptown Gal

Put me down for suchipup1's first sentence!!!! But, if you decide to go...hope you really, really

enjoy it and you don't feel the fear!

wildchild2x2

I am terrified of heights also but zip lining is on my bucket list. I figure if I can trust sitting on a horse on high narrow mountain trails I can trust being held by a harness thinking of it as a conveyance. Go for it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Go for it, but first change your beneficiary to @Lonejack.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
bpath

I’d much rather zip line than walk that rope bridge!

Lars

I agree with bpath - the bridge looks much scarier than the zip line.

We done several zip lines on Maui and in Costa Rica, but we did not have to go on any rope bridges to get to the platforms. That said, we did have to hike up some steep hills. The zip-line part of it is great and not at all scary. The zip lines do not wobble the way that bridge would.

If you can handle the bridge, the zip line will be a piece of cake - and a nice reward for your efforts.

SEA SEA

I have a solid fear of heights. Even being on the roof to shovel snow is hard for me. I do it, but I'm not having a good time. It helps that I'll be up there with snow up to my belly button and I'm sort of stuck in it anyways making falling off the roof a hard thing to do no matter how careless one can be. Having said all that, I've been skydiving and enjoyed it. Jumped out at 10k feet I was told. Would I do it again? Probably not as I was in my 20s at the time, and you know how those young folks are: not aware of their mortality yet. I think if you can figure out where you are in your sense of your mortality, you'll find your answer :)

socks

No, because if I get hurt, proper healing might not happen at my age. I don't want to be in a hospital, in a wheelchair, on crutches, in a "boot." I'm grateful to be on my feet doing the things I enjoy, so I don't want to mess that up!! I want to ride a horse, I want to ride a bike, I want to try one of those hoverboard things, but I won't.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
patriceny

So....I know someone who got hurt very badly in a zip line accident. Very significant head and neck trauma from another person slamming into them on the zip line.

There is risk in almost everything we do. Statistically-speaking you are probably at higher risk in your own bath tub than you are on a zip line. (I actually don't even know if that's true....but it sounds like it SHOULD be true, doesn't it?! Ha ha...)

I personally would not do it. But I am getting more cautious in my old age. I have too many body parts which hurt every day as it is, so I am loathe to do anything which may add to that list.

Kathsgrdn

I am also afraid of heights. Took my exchange student zip lining a couple years ago but because we were the only two people there they said they wouldn't let him go alone. Wasn't worth them just taking one person so I went with him. I survived although, I needlessly held on for dear life. You are in a sling and can relax your grip but it is very hard to do even when you tell yourself not to. Watch your hands, but they should go over that before, you will only make the mistake of stopping/slowing yourself once by putting your hand in front of you instead of behind you on the cable. It hurts. My exchange student did the same thing, once, so I didn't feel too bad about messing that up.

I did get stuck midway on one of the zips and told our guide that I would pull myself in, ended up having to have him come rescue me after trying to pull myself in. No big deal for them. The others I made it all or most of the way to the end so that was good. I don't want to go again but I can now say I did it once. It was very pretty and we came across a baby dear sleeping in the woods.

This company was very safety conscience, which made me feel a little better. They clamp you to safety cables every step of the way and I kinda joked about the cables snapping but they reassured me that they are safety checked frequently and were almost brand new.

I think you should go for it, one time. It is mostly a wonderful experience. It was fun even though I was terrified of falling.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
eld6161

I did my first and last zip line in Monteverde Costa Rica on the Sky Trek.

We had our daughters with us and I didn’t want to miss out on any experience.

to be honest, it was very scary. In the way you are positioned, and with the speed you are going, you really can’t see much.

In this tour, you gear up, then take a tram to the top. You zip line a tiny distance to a platform and are then told you can turn back now but once you zip off this first platform, you are committed.

It is so high, and long that you can see the bottom or it ends!

I found out how long each line would be interns if minutes and closed my eyes and counted.

I was the last of our group to go across, and the leader caught in quickly that this wasn’t my thing.

To everyone’s surprise, he gave me on tandem ride so I could actually open my eyes although again, what are actually seeing.

I am sure there are tamer rides, but this was not one of them.

My choice to go was totally based on wanting to share this experience neither my two daughters.

Where does it end?!

My youngest. This is pretty much the positioning.

eld6161

Patrice, I can’t imagine. This particular zip line had two helpers. One goes out first and waits at the next station. Each person then goes but I be,rive the two leaders were in contact with each other. When everyone goes through, the second leader rides to meet the group.

I used a dependable agency to book my excursions. I never felt in danger of getting injured.

I also know someone who got badly injured in a zip line/rappelling trip. I don’t know why they used that particular tour. Somehow, the father and daughter rapell together and slammed into the side of a rock.

Mystical Manns

I ziplined in Hawaii and it was AMAZING! Take your GoPro and shoot as you go down. My partner and I went on side-by-side lines and were able to shoot each other for a portion. Great memories.

patriceny

Eld6161 - it was human error that it happened. There are supposed to be controls in place so that can't happen - but the controls involve people, and people are fallible.

They are pursing a lawsuit now. Their attorney and the reps for the company have been haggling over potential settlement options for quite some time. Looks like it may actually go to court....

Lucille

Read this earlier, scrolled on by, not wanting to be a wet blanket. Then, decided that if I kept quiet and something bad happened, I would feel guilty if I had not said anything.

So,

NO.

Lindsey_CA

No way on God's green Earth would anyone get me on that bridge.

Having said that, I don't like heights, but I would zip line, if the location were right -- like Hawaii. I think about all of the reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race where people have had to zip line. Some eagerly do it, and others quake in fear and cry and insist that there's no way they'll do it. Then the nay-sayers do it and exclaim that it was great, they loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you trust the company, and it's a view that you want to see, then go for it.

Elmer J Fudd

When I was in the Army there was a saying among the ground-pounders intended to be contemptuous of Airborne forces. It was something like "There's only two things other than aircraft that come down from the sky: bird droppings and fools". It was an s word, I substituted droppings.

I'm perfectly happy in any aircraft but my feet and the rest of my valuable (to me) body otherwise remain on the ground.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

No, thank you. I won't even try the zip line at a friend's house, between two big trees.

Lars

eld6161, I also did my last zip line in Monteverde, in the Selvatura Adventure Park. Since it is a rain forest, we had a light mist on us for part of the trip, and we bought windbreakers to protect us from wind and rain. My brother has a fear of heights, and I have a fear of ladders, but we had no fear on this trip. Like surfing, the ride is over too fast, and it takes a lot of effort just to get to where the ride starts.

We had a GoPro but could not get it started properly. It's impossible to see the controls when the camera is hidden in a harness, but they may have improved the camera since we got one. I bought another camera to take with us to Fiji for snorkeling, and it is a lot easier to use.

Here's a video of your bridge:

At least you will have a safety cord attached. It looks like the main problem might be in trying to get the people in front of you to get out of the way and stop dawdling.

Here's a video that shows more of the trip, including the stairs:

Notice that the young guy appears to be having trouble climbing the stairs. That would be the worst of it for me. If you weigh less than 140#, it should not be too hard.

OutsidePlaying

I have done it in 3 different locations. I am not afraid of heights but edges do terrify me. It was a lot of fun. The most fun was in Maui where we ended up being the only people on the trip. My DH, DD and DGD all did it together and the zip lines became increasingly longer and higher.

Judy Good

I did do it and would love to do it again. GO FOR IT!

lisaam

Hi I did it in Alaska and I was very nervous but it was one of my favorite experiences,

chisue

How did the world ever exist before these 'rides' were invented? AFAIK they have no oversight or inspections once they're built. Probably as safe as your average carnival ride. Maui has permitted several. It also has permitted a dangerous 'Bike Down the Volcano' activity for decades, despite the recorded accidents to people taking part. (The operation was required to move the starting point outside Haleakala Natioal Park to preclude lawsuits.)

I'm also not interested in being a passenger in a small private airplane.

nekotish

My husband and I did it in Costa Rica early last year and it was an absolutel blast. I had just turned 60 and he was 63. He has spinal stenosis but the ziplining didn't bother his back. I would never parachute or bungee jump, but I felt very secure in the harness and it was the closest I'll ever get to being a bird!

graywings123

Yes to zip lining if I ever get the opportunity. No to parachuting or bungee jumping.

nicole___

I've done small private airplanes, a helicopter and yachts. I've never parachuted or bungee jumped. I watched the video Lars posted....now my husband wants to go. LoneJack....your in the will! ☺

I appreciate ALL the input!

Save    
lisa_fla

It seems pretty cool! I would do it. If you don’t, you might forever regret it.

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Oh Nicole, you should definitely do it. I went skydiving once, in my 30's, and after the shoot opened it was a lovely trip down. Jumping out of a plane is unnatural though and I wouldn't do it again.

But ziplining is great fun. I was 58 and I am very much afraid of heights and used it as a challenge for myself. We also had a guy who went first, then we went and then another guy followed us. The lead guy positioned himself at every landing to help land you on each platform. It was so neat to go through the trees. We had very little wildlife to look for. Some people in our party told of us other places they had been and the neat birds they had seen. I don't think I would recommend taking a camera. When you are on the zipline, there is a lot of movement going on. Live in the moment and just enjoy the experience. And report back!

pudgeder

I've been zip lining in Costa Rica and a place in southern Oklahoma.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!!!

Except!!! I would ONLY do it if it was set up as a double cable. Just like the one pictured on the site.

NO SINGLE CABLES.

But Oh my gosh!! It was exhilarating!!

bleusblue2

Ha ha -- I thought the topic was about coats with a zip lining -- I wondered if you were asking whether to take it out because you might never get it back in!!! What world do I live in? I don't know.

marilyn_c

Me??? No! At my age getting on an escalator would be about as exciting as I can stand, but Nicole, I know you are in good physical condition, so yes, you should do it.

yeonassky

I zip lined a couple of years ago. Am terrified of heights and screamed most of the way down. I am still glad I did it as zany as that sounds. I might even do it again. It still felt like I was falling all the way down even though I had a brake though.

heritagehd07

I'd go for it as long as you are comfortable with the safety standards. I did it 15 years ago in Costa Rica and it was a blast although I was almost hyperventilating on the hike up to the starting point because I was so nervous.

blfenton

There isn't a hope in he!!. And if I have to climb those rickety looking stairs or walk across that suspension bridge to get there it's a complete and utter non-starter.

Am I the only one that saw the "Danger Keep Off" sign?

Lars

I saw this one

I would make a point of keeping off of that sign.

nicole___

Laughing....yes....and it speaks "truths to me". Danger....Danger.....Danger.....:0)

Save    
Raye Smith

Sure, sounds like fun, look gorgeous.

Elizabeth

If you are terrified of heights, zip lining is not for you. I would politely decline in that case.

Suzieque

Put my name on everything that Kathsgdn said, including getting struck mid way on an especially long and high one. There were 8 different zip line experiences throughout the day and I was pretty much terrified most of the time. But terrified in a sort of exhilarating kind of way, if that makes sense.

I am 100% happy that I reached beyond my comfort level and did it, and I did enjoy it. But now that I've done it, I don't have to do it again.

daisychain Zn3b

I am not afraid of heights but edges do terrify me.

outsideplaying, I have never heard it expressed like this, but this is completely true for me, as well. I have never thought of myself as being afraid of heights, but was unable to leave the platform when it came time to start my zip line ride. I eventually did it, but I was kind of shocked at how hard it was to take that leap.

Kathsgrdn

Found a picture or two:

share_oh

I've gone several times - such fun!

My husband is afraid of heights big time but he tried it on our trip to Belize and absolutely loved it. I think you should give it a try!

sprtphntc7a

Absolutely!!!!

DH and I went zip lining on Catalina and it was FANTASTIC.

i would do it again in a heartbeat. was i nervous, of course, but the excitement far outweighed the nervousness!!

DO IT!!!!

bragu_DSM 5

sure ... make sure there's a bucket at the end ... if it's on that list

OutsidePlaying

Daisychain, it does sound crazy, but I have run across a lot of people who admit to this edge fear too when they finally realize it isn’t related to heights. I always said I could never sky dive unless someone knocked me out, threw me out the door and woke me up after the chute opened. I’d enjoy the ride down. I used to rappel in my young days and you should have seen the crazy way I started down.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I have zero fear of heights. I despise falling, made a spectacle of myself when I was stuck on the 3m diving board as a child. The lifeguard said I was only allowed to jump down.

nicole___

I'm thinking THIS is the way to go....

3 Likes Save    
Yayagal

I can live without it, lol.

patriceny

Nicole, the sign is a cute saying. It's one of those trite sayings that makes me smile.

However as someone who struggles with reasonably bad chronic pain every day, it also makes me wince. Your original post asked for feedback, and all kinds of people have given all kinds of feedback. Speaking for me, zip lining would at best likely leave me in pretty bad pain for many days and at worse would do even further damage to my already increasingly-decrepit body.

I am not saying that to make you feel bad, nor to try to talk you into nor out of anything. :) If you want to do this, DO IT and have fun!! Seriously.

But as someone who hopes to live for another 3 decades, you will not find me doing anything which further encourages the "thoroughly used up feeling." It's really not as fun as the sign implies. :)

eld6161

Nicole, let us know what happens. It seems that either you will love it, or not from the consensus here. Doesn’t seem to be an in between.

At the very least you can have the bragging rights.

Mystical Manns

Checking back to see if you've gone yet. <grin> I hope you do!!

nicole___

Patriceny.....I'm so sorry your living with pain. I'm not an Olympian by any means...but I'm still going strong.

My GF wants to wait until it's a little warmer, in May. ☺ It's generally 27f-47f during the day right now. Wednesday it snowed & thundered, snow-rain...we had a white out. It's still Winter here in Colorado.

I'll post an update when it happens....♥

4 Likes Save    
adellabedella_usa

I don't know. I used to love stuff like that. I've been on a couple of lower ziplines. Last time, I had developed a fear of heights. It took a while to get up the courage to jump like I had in the past. Same for roller coasters. I didn't understand other people's fear. Now it scares me too.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bathroom Makeovers What I Learned From My Master Bathroom Renovation
Houzz writer Becky Harris lived through her own remodel recently. She shares what it was like and gives her top tips
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
We create amazing residential and commercial interiors unique to the clientele that we represent. This means that... Read More
Premier Home Services, Inc. has been providing custom remodeling services to Loudoun County and the Surrounding... Read More