SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

should I or shouldn't I? refinish my old floors

cateyanne
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I'd like to ask anyone's opinion who has refinished old hardwood flooring. I have a 1940's house whose first floor is hardwood. I don't know what kind(how can you tell?) We covered the living room and hallway with carpet but I would really like to reveal the old hardwood floors in the bedrooms at least. As I said I don't know the type of wood, but all wood in house including moldings were left unpainted. the color is a dark amber, though I guess that is probably stain. The floors have stains and the finish is uneven. There are scratches in some areas, so cleaning alone will not be enough. One of the rooms had carpet at one time as I can see some small nail holes at the edges, the other never carpeted. There is a bit of water damage in the room with the nail holes by one window in the form of darkened wood (no buckling). Both rooms are small, 12x12 and 12x10. I know the floors have the potential to be beautiful, the linen closet floor is unblemished and just gorgeous. This would be a DIY project, I have to do it on the cheap, but want to do a great job. I have patience and am handy. But some people say it is not a good DIY project. Some stains are pet urine, I think previous owner kept pets in the smaller room! do stains come out with sanding? What do you think?

Comments (3)