SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_885246761

New Asko DBI664 dishwasher -- will PLASTIC door hinges fail on me?

HU-885246761
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey guys,

Any one with Asko dishwasher experience know if the door hinges on Asko's tend to be problematic and fail? I'm on the fence about returning it and getting a Miele.

I bought this DBI664XLS new after much deliberation between a Miele and Asko. When looking at it carefully before installing I noticed the spring hinge assembly actually has plastic end pieces that attach to the doors! Picture below.

I'm a bit aghast and frankly furious -- I suspect they did this to avoid the normal sort of creaking noise we associate with springs in a hinge but I really wonder if it will last and hold up.

Asko makes a lot of bold claims about "the most amount of stainless" among dishwashers but it seems like they've put plastic in the last place I'd expect, especially for a non-entry level unit.

Aside: I voted against the Miele dishwasher because I was worried it would be "overly sensitive" and give me strange faults -- my new Miele W1 clothes washer has given me inlet low pressure errors and would stop the load and basically dump all the water out. Frankly as long as it's filling up with water and doesn't take 10 mins to fill up, I don't see why it should complain about low water pressure. I have external water filters (the 2.5" x 10" style) going to the unit to help filter hard water and protect it and I suspect that pressure drop through is too much for the W1.

Going through the manual for the Miele dishwashers and it's error codes they do make statements about the water temperature having to be in a very precise range or a certain PSI level for the water lines which made me nervous and uneasy. I have a similar (separate) stand alone water filter setup for the dishwasher to reduce hardwater and sediment. The Asko dishwasher manual had compartively fewer error codes and made me less worried about it trying to be "too smart".

Comments (2)