SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_396969654

Replacing a 19-year old 36" DCS gas cooktop

David Guberman
3 years ago

The time has come to replace our DCS CT-365SS gas cooktop after 19 years of generally good service. Since we bought it in 2002, I learn that DCS was acquired by Fisher & Paykel, which was acquired by Haier.

I've no idea how F&P's quality for (what looks to be) a successor cooktop, the CDV3-365H-N Series 9, compares to what we had from DCS or to competitors' cooktops. For starters, I haven't found any professional reviews. I did see that Yale Appliance, in Massachusetts, reported excellent reliability for F&P gas cooktops, but their methodology, which looks to service calls as a percentage of units sold in a year, really doesn't produce a useful result when based on a minuscule number of sales.

The F&P cooktop goes for $1,900; we're prepared to pay somewhat more if there are compelling reasons; we wouldn't mind paying less.

One thing we particularly like about DCS/F&P is that, apart from the 20,000 BTU central burner, all four other burners are 15,000 BTU, so, there's never an issue of having to think about which pot goes on which burner. The Monogram ZGU36RSLSS is close in pattern, but with less power: 20,000 BTU, 12,000, and 3 x 10,000. That said, I don't know how easy it is to adjust to unequal burners. Since most--all that I've seen--other cooktops have different sized and powered burners, I suspect it may turn out to be a non-issue.

TIA

Comments (8)