SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Help with plants for under apple tree

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I got this mail order catalog a couple of months ago, and it has me dreaming of my planned rain garden area. This spring I will be getting an heirloom apple tree for the spot. It's not boggy, the soil is sandy along a creek but it gets wet when the rain from the house roof drains into the area on it's way down the nearby swale into the creek . . . it doesn't stay wet for prolonged periods. Zone is 5b ish but becoming more 6a with global climate change . . .

Here's my inspiration photo. Trying to think of some perennials that would give the desired effect, all blooming sort of at the same time but not looking terrible at other times of the year . . .

I initially thought scilla but read it is invasive and I live near a natural woods so don't want that. There are some blue eyed grass species that could theoretically work, genus name Sisyrinchium, but I have never seen them offered anywhere for retail sale and the prairie one would not be the best, but there is a wet meadow species, . They are a native. I'm wondering about Muscaria/Grape hyacinth. I read they can be invasive, but there is not place nearby for them to invade, so if birds or other animals don't carry the seeds, or the wind, then I could keep them in line. I have some under another tree. I'm kind of out of easy ideas on the blue grass like flower. Spiderwort blooms too late . . . thinking of something in bloom along with apple blossoms.

For the pink, I guess some wild geraniums maybe . . . not really liking their foliage but wild pinks I don't know a species that isn't low and blooms late enough. Not sure enough shade for wild phlox and they aren't pink either. They could be the blue flower though . . . Virginia bluebells/lungwort would be good, not grassy looking though . . . and it won't be truly shady under the small tree I am getting for quite a few years . . . it faces west so gets the afternoon sun for a while. Fence and next door neighbor's house does shade it as sun goes down . . .

There might be some vetches but I have not seen native or spring blooming ones offered anywhere. I can do seeds but only for stuff that is easy to grow . . . Can sow directly . . . Pink Onethera might work but I think they bloom a bit too late here . . . plus they are quite "meh" when not in bloom IMHO. But if the grass was sexy enough to cover for it when the time came, like Pink Muhly grass . . .

I'd have no trouble if the desired bloom time was summer. I'd do some type of monarda . . .

As for the grass, little bluestem would be ok but there is some type of clumping sedge or something that I can't remember but seems like I wanted to try . . .

Nothing invasive. Ideas and sources much appreciated!

Comments (8)