SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somethinggardening

Space for a climbing rose

Gardening_7bAtlanta
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I would like to plant a climbing rose against this south-facing wall. Bought 4 trellises from Costco for $20 each. The trellis is 6 feet tall. After inserting the bottom into the ground, the trellis is now only 5 feet tall above the ground with 3 inches from the wall. The length of this wall is 9.6 feet. The depth of the flower bed is around 40 inches in the middle of the wall.

Since this climbing rose will be at the garden entry with several blue hydrangea close by, I think a apricot/orange/yellow climbing rose with no spray, few thorns, and pretty flowers will look good here. The one I am considering is 'Bathsheba'. I have also considered 'Golden Celebration' and 'Lady of Shalott'. But I think the limited space here is only good for true climbing roses, not bushy shape ones. I don't want to have my skin scratched every time going through the garden gate.

Do you think there is enough space here? I plan to plant the rose 15 inches from the trellis so it could get some rainfall. I could plant it further away from the trellis, but I wonder whether it will block the walkway later. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (16)