SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Q's for West Coast gardeners: Big roses for the fence

rosefolly
13 years ago

I've located space for two big climbing roses. I want warm colors, which can mean apricot, buff, warm (not lemon) yellow, coppery pink or something along those lines. I'm going to try my hand at Jon's "layering" technique, so wish me luck. I specifically don't want white, because I already have a lot of white there and the layers won't show without some color contrast. I have two big white ramblers, The Garland and Rambling-Rector-or-Treasure-Trove (I had both, tags got lost, and one survived. I don't know which one.) I also have big white and fragrant R.moschata.

I'd like everything -- repeat bloom, easy training, wafting scent, self-cleaning -- you name it! But what I need is disease resistance. I'm looking at some of the big roses on the fence already and seeing a fair amount of powdery mildew, not so much that I'm going to take them out, but enough that I don't want to add anything else that gets PM easily. BTW, neither The Garland or RRoTT has any PM. On both of them the foliage is clean as clean can be, much to my pleasure. Other roses in that area -- Celine Forestier, Ghislaine de Feligonde and even a bit, Alister Stella Gray, get PM. Reve d'Or gets that and also some kind of spot disease. I was thinking it was BS which I rarely see here, but now I'm leaning more toward it being anthracnose. Or both. Or rather, all three!

Anyway, I'd love recommendations of biggish climbers/ramblers in warm colors that stay exceptionally healthy on the West Coast.

Rosefolly

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus