SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andfox

Working to Make This Old House More Modern Farmhouse

Andrew
3 years ago

Good morning!

A couple years ago we bought a historic house in a great neighborhood. It has lots of character, but its honestly not the house we would have bought if the market wasn’t so hot. But it was in our school system, we liked the neighborhood, and the house seems to have good bones that we can make our own. Now we are finally ready to renovate (!) and I’d love to hear what you all think of the plan we’ve been putting together before we go to an architect to draw it up.

I’m not sure what style to call this house. Maybe colonial? In any case I have always wanted to live in a modern farmhouse, so we are going to bring in as many of those ideas as we can.

Exterior:

First off, the house is really dark and heavy looking right now, so it’s getting painted white of course. Windows will be black. We are still figuring out if we will paint the current windows black and get rid of the grates or do new windows. I really like the idea of farmhouse grids in the top half, so I am leaning toward new windows. I think we could even do steel windows in the sunroom to bring in the modern flair. There are also stained-glass windows over the front door. They are lovely but they don’t fit my vision so I plan to sell them (I really love history so we will be sure to sell off anything we don’t use).

The red tile roof is definitely not farmhouse, and it’s as old as the house so we will be doing a new black shingle roof. I can’t decide whether to paint the eaves (which have a fantastic exposed rafter detail black or white. Any thoughts?

Then there’s the entry. I think we can make the front door work painted black, but the everything going on around it is too ancient Greece for my taste. I’ve thought about painting it all white, but it won’t make it go away and I really want a front porch instead. I think the front porch could be off centered to cover the door and the two right windows and the old surround could be boxed in with white board and batten. I think cedar on the posts, a black metal roof, and stacked stone around the base would look great!

A quick mockup of what I'm thinking:

Inside:

I know they lived different lives back then, but this house has way too many walls for me. I can’t see and hear the rest of the family. I have the basic plan of our house below. I marked up the first floor plan from the sale listing. Do you think I could remove all of the walls highlighted in red? I guess we probably need some columns and an architect or builder can figure that out. I just think it would make the interior so open and inviting.

The stairs maybe we could get by with painting all white, but I’d love to hear what you all think. Maybe something more industrial or rustic? Black metal or rough timber? If I’m told I can’t get rid of the wall between the stair and the living room I’m covering it in ship lap.

This is my dream look:

Kings Place · More Info

There is such a mix of flooring styles throughout right now that we are thinking to do all new. Something like gray stain wide plank luxury vinyl to be easier maintenance. Walls we think in all white, we just have to pick the right one. We want to save some of the woodwork to honor the house’s history and paint it out to match the walls.

I think the living room fireplace is a great place to do something cool and interesting to make a statement. German smear brick? Floor to ceiling ship lap? Stacked stone? I think with a big chunky timber mantel either way.

Eastern Seaboard Transitional · More Info

Anyway that’s where we are headed right now. I am excited to see what you all think!

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio