SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Cold stressed Crossvine Questions

My Bignonia capreolata was putting on tint buds when the the dreaded coldfront; 2 ice storms and two snow storms hit in 9 days. The single digits hit without any hardening off process....This is central Texas. Our winters are often periods of extended warmth with some interspersed minor freezes. This winter was WARM until then. This is what it looked like in March a couple of years ago. It is an established vine that I have never ever trimmed back. I did notice that it was needing a trim back because there was a growing amount of long bare vines in the mess. The plant is very knocked back due to the cold right now. I Trimmed back the small twigs till I saw green in the twigs but I am noticing that the once trimmed green twigs have become dry and brown so I have trimmed more off. I have trimmed it back more than three times. I am noticing some new growth on the thicker stems and some of the thinner stems closer to the trunk of the tree. There are exceptions to this observation. I am trying to wait and see but my clippers keep jumping into my hands. There is also that part of me who wants to cut it back rudely to promote all new growth but I am a bit of a wimp. This vine has been very well behave by never suckering and I LIKE THAT. I am not that experienced with vines. and their care.

Here it is at the same time of year this year bare as can be.

Area of growth closer to the trunk of the vine.

The area further down the vine. It is hard to see what is old dead bud growth and new live growth . I am torn between waiting thinking that the sap that was knocked back is trying to get to the extremes while there is a slow centralizing of the vines strength. I really do not know what I am doing and deciding action is a waffling process.

an area far down the vine mass with progressively less evidence of new growth but with green under the surface.

I am interested what others do with this vine after a hard winter. Especially from people who live in cold areas since it is capable of growing much further north. I am in Central Texas west of Austin. That is why I put this out on multiple forums. Should I wait for all the growth to leaf out before trimming back? Should I only trim to the limits of regrowth or knock it back hard? Will a hard trimming encourage unwanted suckering? This vine has been really good at taking care of itself. So many consequences make me into a waffling gardener.

Comments (6)