SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexiegurl09

Are my tomato plants stressed or not???

lexiegurl09
12 years ago

Hi everyone. I have several questions and any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Ok, to start I posted on here about a month ago about my tomato seedlings and any ways I could improve starting my seeds. I got some great tips and have changed a few things since I started some new tomato seeds 12 days ago. These tomatoes are doing well, a little leggy and a little overgrown for the seed starting tray, but I will be planting them into 16oz cups with miracle gro potting mix tomorrow. But they are not my problem.

The seedlings I posted about a month ago were doing very well for the most part. Some of them grew to be absolutely HUGE in their cups way quicker than I thought they would, but the weather would never coordinate enough to get them planted. Well, finally 2 weeks ago the weather SEEMED nice enough to get the biggest ones planted. (they were about 18" tall, slightly rootbound, but I planted them about 10" deep and made sure to loosen the roots really well). So on 3/25 I planted out about 17 plants into a raised bed with topsoil, leaf compost, bark chips and turkey compost (a wholesale buy from local company) and they looked great UNTIL not one but TWO hailstorms came through and tore them up. I was very upset to say the least. My tomato plants that were lush and beautiful were reduced down to a stalk with a few leaves (thus why they look so leggy in the pictures. There were more leaves when I planted). I figured they were ruined, so I restarted some seeds in hope to have new ones early enough to good tomatoes before the heat arrived. I have to say though, they have bounced back fairly well much to my surprise. In addition to the hailstorms (as if that wasn't enough) these poor plants have been through torrential, flooding rains, heat (mid 80's) and cold (mid to upper 30's twice and several times in the 40's for lows). They were hardened off well though and remained in a cold frame for about 10-12 days prior to planting. So essentially these poor plants have been through almost everything in the two weeks they have been out in the garden. So now I am trying to figure out if my plants are stressed or not. I discovered today they have blooms on almost all of them (several are megablooms). These plants are 6 weeks old, at least 18-24" tall and have decent growth since the hail storms. Are these blossoms normal for these plants or does it indicate stress? What should I do?

Next, I have some seedlings that I know are rootbound (shame on me, I know) that have been planted in 18oz cups in either Miracle Gro or Sta-green potting mix (didn't keep track) since 3/4. They were also hardened off in the cold frame properly, but they really haven't grown much in the past month compared to my other tomatoes planted at the same time. All of these tomatoes that are poorly growing are cherry tomatoes also. Well, now in the last week they started showing some sign of what looks like a disease so i am scared to plant them out in the garden for fear I can spread a disease if that is what it is. I have attached pictures and if anyone could tell me what it looks like I will be greatly appreciative. I will dispose of them if it is disease as I have younger, healthier seedlings started indoors.

Also, I know this isn't tomato related but, I took a picture of some lettuce (big leaves, light green) that I can't identify. I got them as part of a trade and was told it was four season lettuce but it looks more like simpson elite or black seeded simpson. Anyone know?

Sorry for the really long post, but I wanted to make sure the whole story of everything was told, and if anyone has any other questions let me know. Thank you so much!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato pictures

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting