SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

Calling kitchen enthusiasts: HELP! Which layout? What to consider?

MBAK
3 years ago

Hello! Houzzers have given me great advice so far...

Building our new construction "forever" home. Have only lived in apartments in my adult years, so don't have luxury of experience to help design our kitchen.

Wondering what you think of two potential layouts..

We are not big cookers, and admittedly more passionate about ensuring a nice aesthetic, so probably missing some big things here..

Current plan #1 shows kitchen with an L-shape layout. But now that the space is framed and I'm walking through it, I worry it looks a little weird that our main hallway into the open kitchen/family room space is *right* next to the entryway from kitchen to the dining room. The dining room does also have it's own main opening/entrance from hall.

Plan #2 is my rudimentary attempt at moving the entryway from kitchen to dining room further into the rooms.. Kitchen designer said we can make more of a galley kitchen with the other wall having a fridge and big reach in pantry all built in with cabinetry etc. He said plan #2 means a little less counter space, but I actually don't think it's much difference.. it's either a corner with a lazy susan below or it extends straight to the dining room wall..

The microwave, dishwasher and sole sink will be in 9 ft island. I don't totally love the sink in island, but I am at peace with it. I really want an eat in breakfast table that I know we'll use daily with young kiddos. And I am a sucker for symmetry. The stove, sink in island and fireplace will all align, so that will dictate some of the layout of the cabinetry around the stove..

Plans show windows along cabinetry wall, but think we're doing away with them and will have a lot of windows in breakfast nook and family room.

Any opinions on layout? Any other thoughts on design? Considerations?

Thank you in advance!!

Some kitchens I love:

Cove Remodel · More Info

Class Romantic Ranch · More Info

Western Springs Transitional · More Info

Libbit · More Info

Comments (15)