SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_carter

simple pattern and garment construction

I just wanted to share my appreciation for simple, yet wonderful, sewing and for simplicity in pattern.

I have been gazing at this pattern company for some time (link below), online, and I am enjoying seeing how many variations sewers can devise from a simple pattern.

The boxy style of dress/tunic/top lends itself well to the likes of nice wovens such as linen or cotton.

The patterns are real basic. Pants are a real basic item, also and once you get the fit you want, you can create different styles.

One thing, though, about this type of bodice pattern is the issue of bust darts. Some garments will hang and fit better with a bust dart, especially if you have a substantial bust.

I have enjoyed having access to so much more than the major publishers of garment patterns that ruled the fabric stores all these decades. Sharing on the internet has opened up so much more.

I like to search these kinds of things and click on the images.

Also good, of course, is Pattern Review.

I love when others offer their own blogs on their own websites.

This is really the only kind of sewing I want to do anymore. I could not care less about convoluted garments with a lot of construction. Neat and tidy top stitching, a nicely applied pocket, a choice of neck and armhole finishes, a bit of a lined split at the side, and a nice fabric....all good. All of those little touches that echo old school sewing and finishing amount to a simple elegance of quality in a garment.

I found a style for a dress on the website of a pattern company somewhat like this company, in that the patterns are all quite simple in style with many possible variations. I have made that same dress many times over! It is so simple and can be dressed up or worn quite simply.

The same for my go to pants pattern. The pants pattern that is my favorite actually came from Vogue and I have made that up in everything from a silky one for wearing to weddings and such, to nice denim. I love it. I think it is out of print now. This pattern for pants and the one that I cobbled together for the dress are the only two patterns that I have ever recreated in heavy paper because I use them so much.

I have to confess, though, that I did not buy the pattern for the dress. It was easy enough to cobble together using some elements from other patterns that are in my "used to be extensive" pattern collection. It worked out fine for me.

Once you have some of these basic shapes and elements and you have tailored them to fit you just the way you want them to, they can be a wonderful springboard to jump into a great variety of simple garments. Good quality fabric, an eye for texture and print and some good old school sewing on a simple machine can make a wonderful wardrobe.

I found this website for this company to offer a nice gallery of finished items.

Anyone else find as much inspiration in the independent pattern companies? You do have to sample carefully, as there is also much bad pattern drafting out there. But, even Vogue or Butterick is not free of occasional bad drafting.

There are other sewing websites that offer up simple and elegant possibilities, too. But, I was looking at this one this morning and thought that it might be nice to ask about other's experiences with independent pattern companies, and to share.

With a good fabric and some sound and simple sewing skills, you can have a most wonderful garment.

I just want simple quality anymore. The rest is all just noise.

https://100actsofsewing.com/#

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County