SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Old AV Problem...maye because we are night owls?

You may remember me, I have posted here with this question before.

I have a hard time figuring out why virtually ALL of my AV-s end up developing rather tight crowns in the middle, short strong stems, and rather tight leaves, often bending downwards.

No, there is no disease involved. At some point, I thought I was giving them too much fertilizer but I've been measuring carefully for a year now and the problem is still there.

I suspect it's a culture thing related to light - something that happens in my particular room conditions, in the corner I grow them. This is a bright corner window in the kitchen, with a skylight window above too, no sheers, so they get quite a bit of light throughout the day, unless it's winter and it's gloomy outside.

Most recently, it dawned on me that I may be putting them over the edge with not so good habit we have in this house. We tend to be night owls and there is always someone in the kitchen rather late at night (sometimes very late), which means some light is still on in the kitchen then.

I realized these plants might not be getting enough completely dark hours.

Could this be what adds too much to the overall amount of light they get, which may cause them to grow too tight?

Unfortunately, I don't have another corner to grow them. When the light is on at night, it's not straight on them - they are in the breakfast nook where I usually have the light off at that hour (but sometimes it's on), but there's always a light on just a few steps away is further away - so it's not completely dark. They may get complete dark from 1-2pm to whenever the un rises. Not a whole lot.

They do bloom and do fine, overall. I just wish I didn't get those tight crowns in the middle consistently. ALL of them tend to grow that way.

This is the result of observing them for years now. Any ideas?

Comments (22)