SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerandfruit81

trash receptacle in blind corner accessible from outside, yay or nay?

molman
3 years ago

When I lived in Denmark I had a garbage and recycling can under a counter in a hybrid mudroom/pantry space. There were drop holes in the counter inside, and outside they were behind an exterior-sided panel that opened up so garbage was, essentially, always outside.

Our kitchen has a blind corner that shares the blind/end wall with our attached garage. We could create an encased and insulated cubby, accessible from the garage so we just open the 36"ish tall door in the garage, dump the garbage (and recycling) in the wheelie bin and go. Could have recycling too- ideally one counter drop hole for both but there may not be a realistic mechanism to switch between the two. We don't have wiring or ductwork to work around, just a drafty corner currently.

Cons

-fussy custom build (but we're handy and can do this ourselves...eventually),

-hole(s) in the counter (but there is no upper above, we tend to have herbs plants on a tall stand in this corner- or can hang them, so it's not lost counter space)

-sometimes things don't fit and will need taken directly to garage through attached door (our current kitchen trash can is a 10 quart pail for 5 of us, not very concerning)

-cleaning cubby

-i have to relocate milkstand, again

Pros-

-uses blind corner well and saves other cabinet space

-no taking garbage out routinely, probably just once a week

-cleaner (my kids are sometimes sloppy with garbage under counter/floor), and--

-sanitary/easy to use- no handles or knobs or anything to operate with messy hands

-long term time saver

-easy for guests to spot rather than opening all the cabinets to find a garbage

-a place to put all the kids' stickers

I never see anything like this here and I don't know why. What do you think of a system like this?

Comments (15)